Cruise control "activation switch"

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Paul C
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Cruise control "activation switch"

Postby Paul C » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:49 pm

As a new owner of a 1998 GL1500 SE, and new to this sight, forgive a seemingly stupid question. The cc worked, but wouldn't "shut off" upon receipt of the bike, so I came to the conclusion that the "on - off" switch (right thumb) was bad. I replaced it with another (used assembly -- as the switches were not available independently) and now the cc light comes on only as long as I hold the switch in or on. I don't have enough thumbs to both hold it on and try setting the speed, so I don't know what if anything else might be wrong. Please advise me if the activation switch should remain in or "on" upon depression. If that is the case, the switch IS bad and I'll have to replace it again. (what a pain as replacement requires significant disassembly to facilitate wiring harness)
Thanks for any advice, Paul C :?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Cruise control "activation switch"

Postby wingman12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Good afternoon Paul, I have a 1999se. When you push the button to turn on the cc, it is supposed to stay in and the cruise on light comes on. This is a common issue and agreed a PITA to change out. Sometimes you can get the switch freed up by removing it from the handle bar and spraying contact cleaner into the area where the locking system is located, push in on the button several times in an attempt to loosen up the switch. Some times WD-40 will solve the issue. You also may have to clean out the cc filter. Find in how to articles on this forum. :D :D

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:31 am

I know this is not for all but I bypassed that switch. Its always on. Theres enough ways for me to turn it off I don't worry about it anymore.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:05 am

You said the original switch stayed on, put that back on and leave it on. I turn the cruise control switch ON when I first get my bike and never turn it off. There is no reason to turn it off. As said by wingman12 take the 2 screws out of the control unit on the handle bar and spray CONTACT CLEANER on it. Do not use WD 40 it will work for a short time but attracts dirt and dust, contact cleaner is what you need to use
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Paul C
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Paul C » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am

Thank you, Wingman, VTX, and Joe, Your confirmation, assistance, and suggestions were most helpful! And as a result, after trying "contact cleaner", if I can't get good results, I'll go with the bypass suggestion. Again, you've made a frustration an easier solution.....Thank you -- 8-)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”