final drive/driveshaft noise???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
kboomisme
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500

final drive/driveshaft noise???

Postby kboomisme » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:47 pm

I just bought a 1990 gl1500 with 34k miles. There is a whine sound coming from the drivetrain when driving. I put it on the center stand and when its running and in gear, it makes a "clunking" sound in the driveshaft/final drive area. I pulled the final drive and driveshaft out and I don't see anything that jumps out at me. The driveshaft does have play where it goes into the final drive housing thing and the round part that comes out of the final drive that the driveshaft slides into has a little play as well. Is this normal? Should I tear into it further? Thanks

justinjames90
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: final drive/driveshaft noise???

Postby justinjames90 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 am

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 1989 GL1500 Aspencade with the exact same problem! :!:

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Postby kane67 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:49 am

I have the same, when idling gear on (center stand) it makes clunky sound but if you rise rpm even a bit, no sound anymore and wheel is rotating nice and quiet.

So, maybe there's some free play but nothing to worry about?

I have whining there when I "angle" left or right, but when driving straight it's ok.
Rear tyre makes it, both sides from middle section, the rubber is wavy.
Metzeler 880, maybe PO had too low pressure in tyre's early days...?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:45 am

I have noticed the same clunking noise from mine on the center stand, in gear, at idle. Since it seems to be a common issue, I would assume it's normal, as I have no other issues while loaded and driving. The whining noise you are hearing may very well be tire noise, due to scalloped tread. That IS a very common problem. The noise is usually accentuated in turns, when the bike lays over, and varies with speed. I had the same issue with my back tire, and could even feel the vibration in my foot pegs under a quick braking situation. I started running a higher air pressure in the tires, both front and back, and the tires eventually smoothed out. I run 41psi in both tires now. That is the maximum cold inflation for my tires. But, if they were rated at a higher cold inflation, that's what I'd use. It has prevented my new tires from scalloping (the uneven tread wear that can be felt as you run your hand over the tread while rotating the tire). I won't say that ALL scalloping can be prevented, as it is apparently typical of motorcycle tires. But, when minimized, it becomes a non-issue.

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby jtornese » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Have you checked final drive fluid level? When I got my first GL1500, Used with 97,000 mi) It whined (howled) like crazy. I told my wife "that must just be what Goldwings sound like", However, This forum taught me it was the rear differential fluid level and there is a "how to" for it. Mine was basically empty!!!!! filled it up and it was smooth and quiet after. I went on a 1000 mile Iron Butt ride after and had no worries.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 am

When you put a bike up on a center stand and let the engine run in gear at near idle ..... you are always gonna feel / hear all the slap in between every gear, every splined connection, the primary chain, final drive lash, and the output shaft's cushion which is spring loaded.

Because the engine is 4 or 6 cylinders every two revolutions, that's 4 or 6 power pulses with drag between. The crank shaft does not turn at a slow steady speed at low rpms when idling, it rocks between faster vs slower. It's an internal combustion engine, not an electric motor.

kboomisme wrote:I just bought a 1990 gl1500 with 34k miles. There is a whine sound coming from the drivetrain when driving. I put it on the center stand and when its running and in gear, it makes a "clunking" sound in the driveshaft/final drive area. I pulled the final drive and driveshaft out and I don't see anything that jumps out at me. The driveshaft does have play where it goes into the final drive housing thing and the round part that comes out of the final drive that the driveshaft slides into has a little play as well. Is this normal? Should I tear into it further? Thanks

Could be simply tire wear pattern. At this point, put it on the center stand and change / check / adjust final drive lube as specified in the book.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”