Neutral light issues affecting reverse

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Joe_
Motorcycle: GL1500 Aspencade 1991 Champion sidecar Daytona 2+2

Neutral light issues affecting reverse

Postby Joe_ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi,
Working a 1991 gl1500.
The bike has sat for a while. First it would not start after reverse was used for about 12 hrs or over night whichever came first.
Once you engaged reverse and actuated it the Neutral light would stop working and the bike would be unable to start again until it had sat over night. I checked the cam operated reverse switch and cleaned it and checked it 2x with an ohm meter both on and off the bike. Looked fine. Made sure the cables were adjusted properly. No love. Next removed the reverse relay under the seat at the cross bar operated with a 12v source and ohmed the contacts. All is good. Reassembled and no love again.

Next I found the reverse switch that was in the transmission near the oil filler. Took it out and cleaned it but it is an unusual switch. I couldn't find a description of how to check it in the manual. I cleaned the end which appears to be brass and I'm thinking it goes to ground at the pawl or whatever it connects to and not the case. I finally reinstalled it and the symptoms changed.
The switch seemed to work once installed checking with a volt meter and if someone understands it please explain it's function.
I also can't find it in the online parts fiche to replace it.

After playing with and cleaning that switch the symptoms went to this. Sometimes you use reverse and if the neutral light will relight when you are done all is good. No waiting you can run it forward if you have to, take a second shot at it and reverse and all is good as long as the neutral light comes back on when you are done.
If it won't relight you are done using reverse till you get the neutral light comes back on. Getting it back on means the bike must sit un running for 20 min to over night. Now though you can restart the motor by pulling in the clutch.
Before the bike would not start at all after using reverse and having the neutral light not relight after a reverse cycle.
Anytime the neutral light will light everything related to reverse and starting works. I think that there is another physical switch
That may be sludged up or dirty that is taking it's sweet time to reset. Or something else? Maybe the reverse module has it's nickers in a wad?

To re iterate.
Bike is cold over night. Neutral light comes on. Bike runs in reverse. Take bike out of reverse. Reverse light goes off. Neutral light does not relight. Bike will run and restart with clutch in, but reverse is inoperative. Let bike sit, eventually the neutral light will relight. Reverse works fine and bike will start with the clutch out.

Anyone familiar with the neutral light circuit? Is there a mechanical neutral switch that might be gummed up/dirty etc. That I can check. Or any other common failures?
Thanks for your time

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Neutral light issues affecting reverse

Postby ct1500 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 am

The reverse switch by oil filler is a simple on-off contact type. With reverse lever in forward position there will be continuity to ground, with lever up none. Reverse lever cable adjustment needs to be confirmed if not operating correctly.

However, that will not prevent the neutral light from going on which gets its ground for illumination from the gear switch in front cover. When acting up, continuity to ground at gear switch should be confirmed.

Your problems sound like maybe LED's were installed in dash?
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Your problems sound like maybe LED's were installed in dash?

Don't know if led's were installed as the bike is new to me.
I am curious why you mentioned that. Would installing LED's give these sort of issues?
Thanks for the help on where the Neutral gets it's ground.

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Do you know if the reverse switch gets it's ground from whatever actuates it through the tip or plunger?
I noticed when I had it out that it had a brass tip. I couldn't get continuity to the case with the plunger in or out.
Bike has sat for a while and has over 100,000 miles. Perhaps oil scum was keeping it from getting a good ground if it does get
continuity through the brass tip.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Because diodes are involved in the circuit and anything can happen that switch needs to be working regardless. Remove it again and clean it out good with some cleaner, my fav for internal engine parts would be brake or carb clean spray while working it in-out.

If still no good replace here with part #21.

For some reason this website is not letting me link correctly but it is under gear shift fork on fiche
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you.
I will be working on it again shortly.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”