unwanted shutoff revisited

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

unwanted shutoff revisited

Postby ceo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi to everyone that responded to my questions on this problem and I'm very happy to say that it is fixed . I just wish that I could say for sure which of the three items I replaced actually fixed the problem . When you take a wing apart it's hard not to replace anything else related to your trouble cause it's such a pain to get back into it , so I replaced the side stand switch and ignition relay as well as the ignition switch that I think indeed was the problem . The new switch feels so much tighter and positive when you turn the key(thanks wing admin) . The bike has been fine for several weeks now and trust is returning and enjoyed a nice ride down through the Hocking Hills of Ohio last weekend . I will say that the Honda manual will make you sit and stare at it awhile for a better way to get that ignition switch out and I got it out in less than an hour . Here goes , taking the seat off and the radio , side pockets and you will have to take the front and left side fairing panels off but none of the dash , head lamp , or anything on the right side . I took some damp rags and tucked them up in around the fairing and used a 2in angle grinder with a 16th in disc to slot the beveled bolt heads on the ignition switch (being careful to watch the wires in the area) . Then took a hair dryer and heated the bolts cause they are "lock tite 'd in . I then used the largest straight blade bit in my impact set with a 1/4 in ratchet with a 8mm socket AND This is the "secret" dip the blade of the bit in valve grinding compound and it won't slip . It is a tight area to work in but it saved a huge amount of time . Hope this helps someone down the line . thanks again and God Bless .

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: unwanted shutoff revisited

Postby redial » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Well CEO, that brings a new meaning to grinding away at a job. Thanks for the hint.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”