Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Postby gford » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:45 am

My speedometer head seized solid and I bought a new OEM speedo from cyclemax $67.00 as a replacement.
I installed the new speedo and everything is working great. Of course I had to investigate what happened to the old speedo to cause it to seize up as it is a rare occurrence. The connection head on the speedo was full of crud and there was dry crud on the gear that runs the odometer. After spraying a plastic safe cleaner in the head and working it with a screw driver it started to loosen up and a lot of black crud came out of the speedometer. Within a couple of minutes of spraying and turning with the screwdriver it became completely freed up and working as good as new. I figured out what happened. A couple of years ago I greased my drive cable with wheel bearing grease. Its grease, so more is better right? Wrong, the grease had worked its way into the speedometer head and then when the oil was used up the wax had hardened into crud and seized the head to a point where it would not turn even with a hex key. A lesson learned, don't use wheel bearing grease on your speedometer drive cable.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”