Saddlebag and trunk lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Saddlebag and trunk lights

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:08 am

Greetings from Switzerland!

After a few months working on my Wing to make sure it will handle properly, I finally reached a state where I'm happy of my "baby". Windscreen, seat, trigger wheel, exhaust, shifter pivot, super brace, and some led lights for brake and turn signals.

So I'm happy to say today that I have the bike I wanted for more than 20 years (my first goldwing experience was on the backseat at 16 yo, now I'm 38).

But because best is better than good and because someone invented internet with online shopping, I have some new plans in mind to continue improving my Wing.

What you need to know is that it's a 1989 GL 1500, where a lot of customization has been done. I mean here, someone did some electrical tuning that was not how Honda engineers would have done it.
While the front wiring is now ok, I need to work on the trunk and saddlebag wiring.

I have lights on both trunck and saddlebag, but the wiring was so "cheap" that I removed it. So what I need to do now, is find a way to:
- connect the saddlebag side lights
- connect the trunk side lights
- connect the trunk stop/running light (the part between both turn signal)

Have you ever done that? I mean could you tell me how wiring is done? I found on ebay some wiring cables ready to be mounted. But I would like to make sure I'm buying the correct spare parts...

Thanks!
Gilles

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Saddlebag and trunk lights

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am

So are you looking for something like the original Honda harness?

I make sure that whenever I am doing wiring on the trunk and saddlebags, to always add quality connectors that are easy to disconnect, and won't corrode or fail. That way when you need to disassemble things for maintenance, you can first easily disconnect the wiring. I also use a magic marker to color the connections so that it is obvious which one goes where when reassembling.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am

That's exactly it! I've been trying since I have the bike to replace every connection and cabling with good elements.

Would you have a reference for the original wiring or an idea what to buy?

Thanks

w9r1x4
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade with 2015 CSC Sport Trike Conversion

Postby w9r1x4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 pm

First I suggest you buy a shop manual for the year of your bike. Second, there are OEM sites which still may have the original wiring harnesses, once you figure out what you need. www.cyclemax.com is one I have used frequently. Go on their site and click the OEM button, It will take you to the OEM site, pick the model and year of your bike and have at it. by the way my family was all originally from Bern.

Ed

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 am

From Bern? That's only 70 miles from where I live! :D

I just went on the Cyclemax website and I found my spare part! Strangely I never saw this OEM section before.
I will have a look under the seat and the trunk to see how the wire exactly look like.

Many thanks for your help!

w9r1x4
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade with 2015 CSC Sport Trike Conversion

Postby w9r1x4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:50 pm

GillesGLW wrote:From Bern? That's only 70 miles from where I live! :D

I just went on the Cyclemax website and I found my spare part! Strangely I never saw this OEM section before.
I will have a look under the seat and the trunk to see how the wire exactly look like.

Many thanks for your help!

That's good to hear. Know any Hunzikers over there?

Ed

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:01 am

If I remember correctly, there was a guy named Hunziker in the army, when I was there. But I assume it's quite common to find Hunzkers in the region. It's always interesting to see how lastnames are "spread" in a country. It always amazes me the variety we have in Switzerland, considering that it's such a small country.

The best remains the lanscape, you drive 60miles to go to the Alps and find nice roads for the Goldwing :-)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”