Hint to help replacing your gl1500 alternator.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

Hint to help replacing your gl1500 alternator.

Postby Wingryder1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Well I got 100k out of the stock alternator.... and 30k out of a aftermarket. Sounds about right. Brushes and a terminal output (more about that later) will fix it..
If you have done this job you will already know that many times the nut holding the large output wire spade.. is welded on with corrosion. I fought this for a while not wanted to break something inside the alternator.(it is about impossible to hold). Here is the answer.. Look closely at a parts breakdown. Part number 15 on the screen is called a terminal output.
After you have the alternator slipped back and turned where you can get at the back end. Remove the nut holding that terminal output blade from the back.. not the nut you are fighting. This will allow you to get the alternator out and out of your way.

Then you can get serious with the troublesome "blade" bolt. Even after hours of p. oil I broke mine. But they are available, you can order with your new brushes and O-rings. Looking close at the parts diagram would have saved me some time and trouble.

Good luck and Safe riding.
Wingryder

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Hint to help replacing your gl1500 alternator.

Postby redial » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks for your hint Wingryder.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 am

What number is the "blade" bolt you reference?
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

Postby Wingryder1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:46 am

It's the same bolt in question. Blade was my terminology. Number 15 on the microfiche diagram. Part number is 31115-MN5
-005. $9.20 on the Honda site I checked.

Wingryder1

Postby Wingryder1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Another potential problem with this task.
When I went to put in the new alternator.. it would not go. It would start in the dampener slots just fine but only if it was a quarter of a turn to far clockwise. After some head scratching.. it turns out the new alternator (yes its aftermarket) has a taller stud on the output terminal. By about 1/4 inch. You don't have that 1/4 inch. This bolt was hitting the frame and preventing the alternator from lining up. Took the grinder to it (protected it from metal shavings) and it is in.

One other thing... I did not like the fact that even with plenty of oil on the o-ring and even on the two pins... still had to ease it in with the bolts. Tried my best to shake and push it in place by hand but those two alignment pins would not let me. Never like pulling anything in with the bolts but.

Taking a break then will go wire it up and go for a spin.

Wingryder1

Postby Wingryder1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Ok...Nice to see 13 plus volts on my aftermarket voltage meter while going down the road. With my new AGM battery and new alternator, should have those troubles behind me for a while.

Now it is up and going I am going to add brushes and a new terminal output bolt and have the used one for a spare.
The brushes are right at the limit which is probably why one stuck in the first place. Was not very dirty at all for 30k. Bearings and everything else look very good. I thought this was an aftermarket .. but it is a Hitachi and says made in Japan so not sure if its oem or not. But with a few parts.. it will be ready for me or a buddy that also has a 1500.
. I did read some trick about soldering a thin wire to the brush leads and using it to drag the brush leads in to soldering position. It is nice not to have to reinvent the wheel every time you start a project. All the tips from others.. helps me for sure.

Wingryder1

Postby Wingryder1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Wingryder1 wrote:Another potential problem with this task.
When I went to put in the new alternator.. it would not go. It would start in the dampener slots just fine but only if it was a quarter of a turn to far clockwise. After some head scratching.. it turns out the new alternator (yes its aftermarket) has a taller stud on the output terminal. By about 1/4 inch. You don't have that 1/4 inch. This bolt was hitting the frame and preventing the alternator from lining up. Took the grinder to it (protected it from metal shavings) and it is in.

One other thing... I did not like the fact that even with plenty of oil on the o-ring and even on the two pins... still had to ease it in with the bolts. Tried my best to shake and push it in place by hand but those two alignment pins would not let me. Never like pulling anything in with the bolts but.

Taking a break then will go wire it up and go for a spin.

Clarification.. I had tried connecting that terminal up before alternator was slipped in but after fussing with it.. and then finding the too tall stud.. I connected it afterwards. There is room but make sure rubber cap is in place and stays there. (plastic tie) A little dielectric grease won't hurt either.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”