Finally got her running sweet!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
PedroTQ
Motorcycle: Motorcycles on the road;
1988 GL-1500

Finally got her running sweet!

Postby PedroTQ » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:02 am

G'day to All,

I have posted my problems a few times but for those who didn't see them I will re-cap.

I bought my 1988 Phantom Grey GL-1500 in January this year, she was sort of sad looking, much neglect but only 28,000 Miles on the clock (if the clock is original?).

Stripped her down and cleaned, lubricated and adjusted every joint in the machine, new brake/clutch, master/slave pistons and seals. The only thing I did to the engine was to put new belts on her, an oil change was done by the bike shop on purchase.

Fired her up three months later and she purred like a kitten, I was very happy. I have never ridden a 1500 before so I did not know what to expect.

Eventually I realised she was not too good and not up to the power that I expected, backfired constantly, also chewing through the gas at an average of 22.5 mpg. I clocked up 1000 Miles.

Stripped her down several weeks ago and found that plugs 3&4 were unfired and looked brand new, obviously a coil or plug leads, mine were crappy looking so I purchased a second-hand set from e-bay and also a set of reed valves and a better set of unmolested carburettors.

Fitted all the new to me bits, new oil in engine and final drive and oil filter, reassembled her and noticed that the rubbers/insulators for the carburettor-intake manifold were hard and the inner lips were chipped, ok buy new ones and fit them next time.

fired her up and she ran nicely, checking the oil and coolant, got changed into some riding gear, fired her up and she started to splutter and just got worse and worse until a backfire nearly blew the exhaust system off.

After many words were shouted and several beers drunk I decided to strip her down again. I noticed that the slow jets in the new carbs were #62 where my originals were #50 ....??? maybe that's it?

On stripping her down #4 plug was real black and sooty, #3 was just getting dirty (at least they were firing!) ...........?????????? a stuck float ?

Continue on, and change the slow jets from #62 to #50 (I had put a Randakks kit in last time) rechecked the float levels and tweaked them a little.

Oh well I have a pair of carburettor rubbers/insulators coming so I might as well wait for them to arrive since I have her this far down and fit them removing any air leak problems.

Just sit on a stool looking at my torn down bike feeling miserable awaiting the postman to deliver my goodies. ...............over a week goes by..................... eventually the postie was fruitful :D

Go to fit the new rubbers and they don't fit, they are the wrong ones :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Use the old ones again, get her to the point where I can start her up, Bingo! she runs smooth, let her warm up until the fans cut in, shut her down and put all the Tupperware back on.

The next morning I get my riding gear on and fire her up, not again!!! spluttering and backfiring ............. I am getting real happy with this machine :x

What has changed?? with a little investigation and much thought I realised the choke was coming on.

It was a mixture of; the inner wire was stiff in the sheath, so I lubricated that, the cable routing must have been wrong (not sure of what right is?) as the choke was being pulled on whilst you turn the handlebars from right extreme to left extreme, and I suspect that the cable itself is wrong as it seems too long for the job?

Fired her up again, tested the choke and handlebar movement, all seems ok :)

Get dressed again and went and filled her up at the local gas station, then went for a nice ride around town and clocked up about 160 kms, fuelled her up again and worked out that she is now doing 43.1 mpg, maybe a bit lean but better than 22.5 mpg. The clutch/throttle control is now different as I now have 6 cylinders at my command, ..... She moves! and at this rate I will be up for rear tyres often :D :D :D

My Happiness and best regards to Everyone, Peter.

#1 - 1975 GL-1000 - showroom
#2 - 1976 GL-1000 - sidecar
#3 - 1978 GL-1000 - parts
#4 - 1975 GL-1000 - parts, but had the sidecar
#5 - 1978 GL-1000 - project with grandson (secret parts source)
#6 - 1988 GL-1500 - Flagship!
#7 - 1998 GL-1500C - Valkyrie

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Finally got her running sweet!

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 am

Congratulations on a job well done. 43mpg is excellent for a 1500. Ride and enjoy.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Well done Pedro, you seem to have worked out the issues, and glad you have the patience to see it through. Good riding, and happy smiles.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:07 pm

I know this is a little late but I'd still like to say congratulations.
I like reading stories where "stick to it-ness" pays off. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Postby rick457 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Glad you got her running
Ain't nothing like a good running Wing.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Congrats on getting your wing running so good.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”