Universal joint vibration


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:14 am



While on the highway riding to work today, I felt a momentary vibration in the footpegs as I let off the throttle. I checked, and sure enough - when I applied just enough throttle so that the driveline was unloaded (not enough power to accelerate, not so little that there was engine braking happening), I had a definite vibration in the footpegs.

Time for a universal joint. Fortunately I have a brand new one already sitting in my parts bin. I guess there will be a new how-to article coming soon!



User avatar
NVSB4
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 am

WooHoo, can't wait to add to my list of things that I can now try. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Image

Image
Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

User avatar
Fatwing Chris
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Ont.,Canada
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm

If the splines are dry it'll give you the same symptoms.Had it on my 89 not long after I got it.Bought a u-joint to have ready,but didn't need it once I got in there.Lubed with Moly 60 and it was fine after.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:37 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:If the splines are dry it'll give you the same symptoms.Had it on my 89 not long after I got it.Bought a u-joint to have ready,but didn't need it once I got in there.Lubed with Moly 60 and it was fine after.


They're definitely not dry - I was in there two years ago and lubed them quite well. Fortunately this can be done without pulling the whole swingarm, like the manual would have you believe.

User avatar
thomba
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Asheboro, North Carolina
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Darkside
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby thomba » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:27 am

I look forward to your excellent how-to on this. I have a torn universal boot and would like to change it without pulling the swing arm if possible.
Chief Warrant Officer 3 US Navy Ret 1966 -1986
No Wife, No Job, No Worries.
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2000 GL1500SE (Red) Darkside
1993 GL1500A (Black) Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

User avatar
Ericson38
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Nokesville, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Ericson38 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 pm

I also have a 2000 SE (82K miles) and have had this problem, but only at coast above 70 mph, for about 2 years, with greased splines and all. I also thought the bigger joint in the 97+ bikes (like a Valkyrie joint) where too big to change out without taking out the swingarm from the frame. I was under the impression that only the earlier 1500 joints could be changed by dropping one side of the swing arm. Hopefully that is not the case, and looking forward to your thorough treatment of this too !

User avatar
wingman12
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby wingman12 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 pm

I have replace my universal joint twice on my 99 1500. you don't have to remove the swing arm but you do have to remove the bolts on both sides so that you can get that 1/2 inch needed to pull out the old joint and squeeze in the new. Good time to replace the boot if torn. grease up the swing arm bearings and reinstall. I will be looking for your how to do article to see if there actually is an easier way than the way I did them. :D :D

User avatar
wellman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Motorcycle: 1974 Yamaha Enduro 125
1982 Kawasaki LTD 550
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby wellman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I started experiencing the same type vibration a few weeks ago. Have been looking for info the see what was going on. Lubed the splines when replacing tire and wheel bearings last winter. Looking forward to the "how to " lesson in the near future. WingAdmin always makes it look so easy! :lol:

Seriously, don't think I would have attempted many of the tasks that have been done without help and info from members of this forum. Not sure everyone knows how much their contributions are appreciated by the "new to the Goldwing" guys. Kudos to everyone here. :D

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:35 am

And I have had and still have this problem. Installed newer style u-joint and boot. Properly lubed all splines all to no avail. Same problem above 70mph. The old u-joint exhibits no looseness at all to hand testing. Next is wheel bearings though they don't feel bad. Will be following to see if your vibe is resolved.

The newer u-joint and boot can be installed by removing right side and loosening the left side swing arm bolts.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
702scottc
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:12 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby 702scottc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:20 am

I'd be interested to see the procedure. How far do you have to take it down to get it out? I'm assuming the final drive and shaft have to be removed? Where did you source the new u joint assembly?

User avatar
NVSB4
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:36 am

WingAdmin wrote:I guess there will be a new how-to article coming soon!


Seems to be enough interest on the subject.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Image

Image
Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:47 am

702scottc wrote:I'd be interested to see the procedure. How far do you have to take it down to get it out? I'm assuming the final drive and shaft have to be removed? Where did you source the new u joint assembly?


The final drive and driveshaft do have to be removed first, yes.

Both the U-joint and boot came from the OEM page at Cyclemax: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... ke=hondamc

User avatar
wingman12
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby wingman12 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am

Ding Dong, I had a similar vibration last fall and I replaced wheel bearings, universal joint, new tires, yet was still there, found out that it was the rubber pads that the final drive flange goes into on your rear wheel, these rubber bushings got wore out and egged out the holes the flange posts go into. Once I replaced the rubber bushings and the metal inserts, the vibration went away. I could be your issue?? :D :D

User avatar
Ericson38
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Nokesville, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Ericson38 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks Wingman-

So you replaced the damper set (06410-MAH-A60*) which includes the 5 rubber isolaters. Not sure which metal inserts you are referring to.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... EEL---REAR

User avatar
Ericson38
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Nokesville, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Ericson38 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
702scottc wrote:I'd be interested to see the procedure. How far do you have to take it down to get it out? I'm assuming the final drive and shaft have to be removed? Where did you source the new u joint assembly?


The final drive and driveshaft do have to be removed first, yes.

Both the U-joint and boot came from the OEM page at Cyclemax: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... ke=hondamc


Are you also going to replace the driveshaft, since its not that much additional, considering....

40200-MZ0-A00 JOINT, YOKE 1 143.89
40201-MAM-A60 SHAFT, PROPELLER 1 52.30

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Ericson38 wrote:Thanks Wingman-

So you replaced the damper set (06410-MAH-A60*) which includes the 5 rubber isolaters. Not sure which metal inserts you are referring to.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... EEL---REAR


The dampers you get are just that - rubber dampers that fit inside the wheel:



There are metal bushings that fit inside the rubber dampers when they are installed, and the spider hub pins fit into those bushings. If the dampers are allowed to get too worn and/or hard, then holes in the bushings can wear and become elongated, and they will need to be replaced as well. You can see them inserted into the rubber dampers here:

Image

Here is a worn bushing:

Worn damper bushing
Worn damper bushing

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Ericson38 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
702scottc wrote:I'd be interested to see the procedure. How far do you have to take it down to get it out? I'm assuming the final drive and shaft have to be removed? Where did you source the new u joint assembly?


The final drive and driveshaft do have to be removed first, yes.

Both the U-joint and boot came from the OEM page at Cyclemax: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... ke=hondamc


Are you also going to replace the driveshaft, since its not that much additional, considering....

40200-MZ0-A00 JOINT, YOKE 1 143.89
40201-MAM-A60 SHAFT, PROPELLER 1 52.30


I don't have plans to replace the driveshaft unless there's something wrong with it - and last time I had it out (and lubricated it) it was perfectly fine.

User avatar
Ericson38
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Nokesville, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Ericson38 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Wingadmin wrote:There are metal bushings that fit inside the rubber dampers when they are installed, and the spider hub pins fit into those bushings. If the dampers are allowed to get too worn and/or hard, then holes in the bushings can wear and become elongated, and they will need to be replaced as well. You can see them inserted into the rubber dampers here:

Image

Here is a worn bushing:

Worn damper bushing.JPG


On the cyclemax illustrated parts breakdown (IPB), I can't see those bushings listed. Thanks for the images though. I am going to replace the joint, shaft, rubber blocks, and bushings. My rear tire is also due.

User avatar
Bluewaterhooker0
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Fl
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 pm

On the cyclemax illustrated parts breakdown (IPB), I can't see those bushings listed. Thanks for the images though. I am going to replace the joint, shaft, rubber blocks, and bushings. My rear tire is also due.


Ericson38
The metal inserts are part #2 in the fiche drawing you posted. 5 are needed, if they are needed. Replaced the rubbers on mine a few months ago, and the metal bushings were fine, however 2 of the rubber cushions were cracked.

User avatar
wingman12
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Sorry ericson38, I have been a little distracted the last couple of weeks, it seems that wingadmin did his normal excellent photos of your potential problem. Part # 41242-mr5-000 is the metal inserts if damaged. You will know the minute you remove the plate on your wheel hub and every thing just falls out due to wear. Let us know your results please. :D :D

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby dingdong » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:46 am

wingman12 wrote:Ding Dong, I had a similar vibration last fall and I replaced wheel bearings, universal joint, new tires, yet was still there, found out that it was the rubber pads that the final drive flange goes into on your rear wheel, these rubber bushings got wore out and egged out the holes the flange posts go into. Once I replaced the rubber bushings and the metal inserts, the vibration went away. I could be your issue?? :D :D


Hey thanks Wingman12. I never even considered the dampers. I have recently had them apart for cleaning but didn't think at the time that they were in bad condition. Possibly they are hardened like the alternator dampers get. There was a small amount of play but I will try replacing them as I have no other solutions.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
Ericson38
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Nokesville, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby Ericson38 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:46 am

Great info, now see the #2 part # , how each fits into each of the (5) drive isolater dampers, and see how to check the fit of #2 into the studs in the drive flange (great picture). When I was in there a couple of years ago (just to see how it was put together, see how to change a flat tire, etc), I didn't pay attention to the closeness of the fit of those parts, or inspect how tight the rubber dampers were in the cavities they set into, although it was all apart. I was greasing splines, and actually pulled the drive shaft far enough back (with the differential off) to grease the driveshaft splines that go into the u joint. Then shifted the u joint back and lubed the splines on the transmission output shaft (all with Moly 60). But without the u-joint in hand, you can't detect if there is a loose trunion bearing.

User avatar
wingman12
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 pm

I know that as many times that I removed and cleaned up the dampers i didn't remove and inspect, the parts guy at my Honda dealer suggested that could be the issue so I checked again, and once I removed the plate holding the dampers in, everything just fell out. Hopefully ding dong this will solve your vibration. Please let me know once you have inspected and changed if necessary. Happy Labor Day weekend and safe riding to everyone, everywhere in the world. :D :D

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 pm

dingdong wrote:And I have had and still have this problem. Installed newer style u-joint and boot. Properly lubed all splines all to no avail. Same problem above 70mph. The old u-joint exhibits no looseness at all to hand testing. Next is wheel bearings though they don't feel bad. Will be following to see if your vibe is resolved.

The newer u-joint and boot can be installed by removing right side and loosening the left side swing arm bolts.

Tom


I'm pretty sure the universal joint is the problem on mine being that every other part of my driveline has been lubed/replaced fairly recently - the dampers in my rear wheel were replaced 9,000 miles ago.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Universal joint vibration

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:02 am

I replaced my universal joint last week, and sure enough, the vibration is now gone. The joint was a bit loose, and there was a bit of metal in the bottom of the boot, so it was definitely time.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tprender and 3 guests