Carb,s and Fuel pump..GL-1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Carb,s and Fuel pump..GL-1500

Postby n5926g » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Afternoon guy,s.....After ALOT of taking off,and putting on parts,I am quickly coming to the point of installing the Carb,s,and hopefully firing her for the first time ever....I have been dreading installing the carb assy,since it was such a pain to get off...any pointers would be appreciated...now to the "fuel pump part"....I THINK I have the wiring right,but hear nothing when I turn the key on...obviously there is no fuel in her yet,but one would think I could hear that pump running....ther also is some sort of "little black box" attached at the harness connector and held in place with one of the fuel pump nuts...Don,t see any mention of it in the service manual....what is it??????

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Carb,s and Fuel pump..GL-1500

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:24 pm

The hardest part about putting the carbs back on for me,other that getting the hoses hooked up,was actually seating the carbs into the rubber couplers...I did cheat and use a bit of slime on the bottom of the carbs...it still took a bunch of pressure to get them seated...A new set of couplers did alleviate this on the next round...
The little black box on the top of the tank is a noise suppressor...Same kinda thing you see attached to the hull of the alternator.
Fuel pump...There's some debate...My 88...when the kill switch is on and the ignition key is turned to the on position,the fuel pump is energized for about 2 seconds..it will only be energized again when there is spark..either during cranking or running...or (on mine) cycling the kill switch or ignition switch off then on it will cycle the pump again.

Be aware that if the ignition module does not get power when the key is turned on,the fuel pump will not operate either...
The most common cause is the kill switch...Either turned off or defective...
See if the ignition is working before diving into the pump,simply check for spark..

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't know how well it will work with the GL1500 couplers (I haven't seen mine...yet), but here's a trick I learned to use on my Kawasaki - when you're all ready to shove the carbs into the couplers, use a heat gun on the couplers until they're good & hot. They will get MUCH more pliable, for 2 or 3 minutes, and getting the carbs slotted in is a LOT easier.

In the Kawasaki (Concours 1000) the carb mouths were easily a 1/4" larger in diameter than the couplers, so a lot of stretch was required. Without the heat gun, it was pretty much impossible. With it, it was a lot easier.

n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Postby n5926g » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks guy,s...actually I have NEW couplers...and typically use Dow Corning Compound 4 on my "rubber parts"....Think the most daunting thing to me is hooking up those heater hoses to the baseplate...and oh yeah...figuring out HOW my new "rubber cover thingy" gets put in....The old one was toast,and I know its got to go over some things,and under others.....Wish I could just not put one back,but supposedly it keeps engine heat from boiling the carb,s dry....gotta do it right!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Since I've never worked on my fuel pump, or had issues, take this advice with a grain of salt. But, I read these and other forums religiously. It is my understanding that the fuel pump on a 1500 is only energized when the start button is pushed, or the engine is already running. Turning the key to the on position does not energize it, as it does on some automobiles. Because of this, I once read a starting suggestion for a bike that had sat long enough for the carb bowls to be empty. They suggested hitting the start button a few times, without an extended starter time, to assist in refilling the bowls, before finally hitting the button long enough for the bike to actually start.

Here is the comment that I am referencing. I just tripped over it in another post.

"Just for the record only the 88-89 models had the fuel pump relay which activated for 2 seconds when key is turned to ON. '90 and up models, fuel pump gets power direct from ECM and runs with engine cranking or running only."

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”