Front End Wobble~!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
faithtalker1
Motorcycle: GL1500se

Front End Wobble~!

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 am

Okay, so I know this has probably been addressed in here, but I haven't been in here in over a year due to some illness, and some other issues. But, what I have is I also did not ride my 1995 SE much last season, as work and illness prohibited, so this year I am about 850 miles into a 1700 mile trip and I am noticing a pretty significant wobble between 35-45 mph, when decelerating, and some times when in a higher gear and just lightly accelerating. It sometimes happens after hitting a bump. I read somewhere online about the Head Bearings? Is this a normal problem, or is there anything else I should probably look for. I have noticed it at 45 and a little above when only driving one handed as well, but not as pronounced. Is this going to be safe for me to finish my trip? If it is the head bearings can I just repack and put in new lock washer and torque to specs? Has a newer front tire that is also prone to loosing a little air, but only after sitting for a while. Like through the winter or last season when it didn't get driven much? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Btw wanted to say that the more I ride and the more I have shared in here that Goldwing riders are the best, all you guys are very helpful, and willing to share your knowledge, and I even notice it on the road, when meeting other Goldwingers, we are a special breed of people :) For sure~! Thanks again for any advice, info and or help you can give me. Oh, one more thing, my bike is just about to turn over 40,000 mi. I am basically the second owner, and this winter I plan on going over the whole thing and doing a complete service, check drive oil etc.. can anyone point me to anything that shows what the 40,000 mi service should concentrate on. I also have a leaky exhaust pipe, so knowing where to maybe get new pipes reasonably would also be helpful, I know this is a lot, but I know also that you guys are up to the task lol.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Re: Front End Wobble~!

Postby mrtwowheel » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:07 am

Watch YouTube video titled "Dunlop Wobble & Weave.wmv", at 1:42 the narrator gives the reason for the inherent "low speed wobble". I call this "the castor effect". Watch a castor on a shopping cart, they wobble because of the same design geometry. Others may have you chasing this wobble with chassis bearing and tire replacement, at 170 pounds I can get this low speed wobble started on any motorcycle in any condition. I'm not saying to not check your chassis bearings, wheel bearings and tires, I'm saying that the low speed wobble is inherent in the design of a motorcycle. Keep your hands or at least one hand on the bars and you will be OK. I don't change good tires to get rid of something that was designed into the motorcycle.

Scott

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:08 am

My wobble was on deceleration, around 25mph. It totally went away when I got away from the lead balancing weights and went with Dyna Beads. I don't have any fancy reasoning for why, but it worked for me.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:46 am

I actually have dyna beads in mine, but was kind of wondering if maybe there wasn't enough of them in there? This is a pretty significant wobble at times. I sometimes have to grab bars with both hands to stop it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:53 am

There are many different potential causes of this type of wobble. Anything that affects the natural resonant frequency of the steering system:

- Loose/worn steering head bearings
- Worn front or rear wheel bearings
- Worn tires
- Improper air pressure in tires
- Loose/worn swingarm pivot bearings
- Aftermarket accessories attached to steering system, including handlebars
- Loose/worn forks, sliders/bushings
- Loose or improperly assembled front wheel axle or pinch bolts
- Insufficient or missing fork brace

Of these, the most common is the steering head bearings, although for safety's sake, you should also check your wheel bearings for free play.

Have a read through this: How to replace your steering head bearings for more information and directions on checking bearings.

Read How to replace your front wheel bearings for information on checking wheel bearings.

tyrevere
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby tyrevere » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:43 pm

my dunlap tire I had on the front was doing the same exact thing as yours to the T... the dealer replaced the tire and everything was fine.. I asked why it was like that and they said the tire was wearing uneaven. I looked at him weird , but I noticed that the left side of the front tire was very worn and the right side of it still had decent tread. I still don't think that was it but a new tire fixed the problem, im 500 miles into my new tire and no wobble

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks so much, just made it home from a 1700 mile trip, I am also noticing a howling or a low tone moaning when rounding a turn, which was making me think of the wheel bearings possibly, it does seem to be coming from the rear. Also the wobble now seems to be more between 35-45 mph, 3-4 gear, decelerating, but also accelerating and is more pronounced when it hits a bump while at these speeds, planning a major service this winter as I just turned over 40,000 mile on the way home last night. I did notice a little uneven wear in the front tire. along the way, I added air to front forks, increased and decreased front tire pressure, rear suspension etc... with not much improvement with any of these efforts~! Is there a good place to look for 40,000 mi service and maintenance instructions? I have the owners manual, but wasn't sure if there is something

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Oh, and also was wondering about the progressive fork springs is this something worth checking in to? I have no after market for stabilizer, no fork oil leak, and front air doesn't seem to be damaged, as it does hold air. I did have a pretty good load on the bike with clothes and necessities for a 10 day trip.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 pm

faithtalker1 wrote:Thanks so much, just made it home from a 1700 mile trip, I am also noticing a howling or a low tone moaning when rounding a turn, which was making me think of the wheel bearings possibly, it does seem to be coming from the rear. Also the wobble now seems to be more between 35-45 mph, 3-4 gear, decelerating, but also accelerating and is more pronounced when it hits a bump while at these speeds, planning a major service this winter as I just turned over 40,000 mile on the way home last night. I did notice a little uneven wear in the front tire. along the way, I added air to front forks, increased and decreased front tire pressure, rear suspension etc... with not much improvement with any of these efforts~! Is there a good place to look for 40,000 mi service and maintenance instructions? I have the owners manual, but wasn't sure if there is something

A howling in a turn is generally due to cupped tires, not worn bearings - not saying that is NOT bearings, because it could be. Have you checked for free play of the wheel bearings with the wheels off the ground?

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:22 pm

I haven't yet, but I just got back from a long trip and intend on checking it out in a few days. If that is the case then that might explain the wobble as well. It might be a cheaper shot at just changing the front tire. It doesn't have many miles on it though except for what I just put on it. However, it sat a lot last season after tire was put on and is prone to loose a little air, and sit in the same spot. I may just shoot for a new tire. Biggest problem I have is both of the closer Honda repair shops have shut down in the last few years, and I was going to a atv and sport vehicle place that has also closed. The one shop that is now the closest is very expensive and I don't really trust them. As I took my vtx in a few years back for 8000 mile service. The service tech said 3.5 hours to do all the necessary service. He called me 1.5 hours later and told me it was done, telling me it didn't need certain things done, they then still charged me for 3.5 hours of labor? I was pretty perturbed and questioned them and they said that is what it cost regardless. I could see if it was 3 hours, or at least 2.75 or something, but to charge me for 2 hours of which they did nothing to the bike I thought was absurd and unfair. I don't mind paying for the service I actually receive, granted they could have waited the full 3.5 hours and I would have never known the difference, but beside the point, if they are dishonest and do that sort of thing, what else are they doing or not doing? The noise sounds as if it is from the back, but could just be echoing, hard to tell sometime with the wind in your face and helmet on your head. lol

tyrevere
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby tyrevere » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 pm

ugh... 500 miles on new tire and now getting the wobble again like you did ugh

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:10 pm

YeaIh I really haven't had the chance to dig into mine since I got back, but I know the first couple times it happened to me it scared the crap out of me. I was always used to it being really tight, and if I needed a hand then I could remove one from the handle bars at anytime. Now I can be afraid to let go of it. Yeah it does it even if one handed if it hits a bump, or decelerating. Now that I also hear that the whooping, and low groaning sound I hear around turns is probably a cupped tire, it has me questioning whether or not it is the head bearings, or the tires (both) I messed up and mine set last season due to health reasons, and I am thinking that is what has caused some of my problems. Only thing is you would think that adding extra air, or doing some adjustments to the suspension would help, but it doesn't. I tried my whole trip to make different scenarios and all produced the same wobble, just maybe a little different on the speeds and conditions when it happened. So not sure what to do for sure. So many things now that it could be, can't afford a new set of tires everytime I turn around. And no service centers in the area I trust as of yet. Thank God it doesn't appear to happen at highway speeds, or at least not yet. It seems to do well when high rpm low gear, and high rpm high gear, and rides best at around 70-75mph.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd double check the forks for true and straight. Jack the bike up so you can spin the front tire and put something next to the tire and spin it..it should hold the same gap as she spins if not your forks/stire is not straight and/or not mounted correctly. = uneven wear and wobble issues.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks I will do that, I had put about 1,500 mi on without a problem, but on the next trip it started.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”