Gerbing question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Gerbing question

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 pm

As we approach our cold riding season ( I will ride as long as there is no ice on the road ) the wife and I where looking at a new leather coat for her today. The shop we where at had some Gerbing long sleave shirts, vests, and gloves, and it got me thinking. . . . . Dangerous I know, but here is my question.

What kind of draw will two vests put on the STOCK charging system ? Will it handle it ok or will I need to consider a 90amp upgrade before I add the heated gear.

Now to help you some, my bike has a stock charging system, like I said, and either I or the P.O. Have added the following :

1) Saddle bag and trunk reflectors converted to lights ,194 bulbs right now, LED strips later on

2) Cornering lights converted to constant on lights, on a switch, with the wierd FAT bulbs now, and LEDs this coming spring

3) Driving lights mounted below the headlights with H3 bulbs

4) "Ring Of Fire" and total of 6 small diamond lights (194 bulbs I think ) on the front rotor cover

5) PLANNED Aftermarket CAR stereo and upgraded speakers ( deck has a 10amp fuse, so 5amp draw )

Thats it for now, other than I MIGHT add some LED strips above the valve covers and in the side fairing vents later on

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Gerbing question

Postby joeincalif » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 pm

When I wired my heated stuff on my other wings I connected it right to the battery. Actually it uses the same connector that the battery tender does.

Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:38 am

Mine handled 2 jacket liners and everything else but the driving lights, light on the saddlebags and the ones on the front wheels. I got gloves, but don't use them much. The 60 watt jacket liner will pull just a little over 5 amps each. If you use the controller to vary the heat, then it not a constant draw. Uses pulse width modulation, the more you turn up the heat, the long the pulses are. So if you use liners and gloves could be borderline.

Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 am

I don't have any extra except a GPS and when I use my heating jacket plus my heated glove my volt meter drop from 14.4 at 13.9 volts so nothing serious there.

Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”