how to guide for Alternator Replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fireman12
Motorcycle: "1998" GL 1500 SE

how to guide for Alternator Replacement

Postby fireman12 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:42 pm

My name is AL known as fireman12, I have GL 1500 SE 98 GW> I am planning to replace OEM alternator with CompuFire upgrade and gen III battery. Is there a guide or photo help with this.

Thanks
fireman12

fs259
Motorcycle: 1998 gl1500se
1997 gl1500se
1976 gl1000 k2

Re: how to guide for Alternator Replacement

Postby fs259 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi,

I don't have any guide or something, but the instructions included are helpfull.
I replaced mine just three weeks ago.
The reason for me to reply is to warn you for something that happened to me.
I will try to explain as good as possible but my technical english is limited

I will start by telling you that I've never heard of this problem before so let's hope your alternator is good and you will not have the same problems as I did (which resulted in a repair note of over €1100,00!!!)

After my OEM alternator broke down for the second time I ordered a compu-fire to replace it.
I received a brand-new one and installed it following the included instructions.

When starting up the engine and bringing up the revs the engine suddenly jammed and something inside went wrong.
I had to remove the engine to find out that bearings of the driven shaft (inside the engine) broke down.

This is the time to tell you my bike is a 1998 SE too, but with 225000 km on it. I never had to remove the engine before so I assumed normal wear and replaced the bearings.

After installing everything I started up the engine again and (*&^%#(%)!!^#)()&)#) the same thing happened again!
So I took out the engine for the second time and again the bearings were broken!

It took me a while to find out that the alternators shaft was a few millimeters to long and was pushing the driven shaft out of its bearings after installing it!

You will not notice this if you install your alternator!

To solve the problem I grinded of a few millimeters of the alternators shaft.

So my advise to you (and anyone who is thinking of replacing it); measure up your compu-fires shaft lenght and compare it with the original alternators one.
Make sure it's not longer because there is no space left between this shaft and the driven shaft inside the engine!

I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you. If not please let me know and I will try again, because removing your engine is not something you want to do just for fun!!

Good luck,

Frank

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: how to guide for Alternator Replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 am

Wow. Did you report this to Compufire?