Looking for a good bike lift

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Looking for a good bike lift

Postby GillesGLW » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am

Hello Everyone,

I've seen quite a lot of good reviews on bike lifts, my only problem is that I don't have much space for my bike in the garage. Which means that the bike currently sleeps outside and if I want to work on it, I have to keep the garage door open, can't close it. (of course, the Goldwing is not the smallest bike on earth...)

Are these harbor freights type of lifts stable for a Goldwing, considering that I normally work alone on the bike, so nobody to help me.

My other option would be to use a table lift, but I would need a kind of "portable" on that I could store somewhere, not taking too much space.

Am I crazy with my question? :-)

Thanks,
Gilles

n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Looking for a good bike lift

Postby n5926g » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 am

Greetings.... I have a friend in Biloxi Ms that bought one of the harbor Freight units,and so far he is happy with it...he has a BMW R1100RT which is "smaller" than our "wings"...I have read a few articles here on the site about bike lifts...I believe if you look in the "how to" articles,you will find some interesting reading...Cheers!

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:21 pm

I have read some reports on the Harbor Freight table lift and it seems that people are having to build side steps level with the table for a place to put their feet when loading the bike on the lift. And I have read that the lift table is a little short so that when you raise the bike on the center stand it is far enough back to make it hard to remove the rear wheel through the removable plate in the lift deck so, you would probably have to use another jack to raise the bike to lower the center stand without rolling the bike back or adding a short extension to the front of the deck so you can go a little farther forward. I have seen the Bulldog lift that is smaller in size and I am told that they are really stable and can rotate 360 degrees for access to the entire bike. I can't decide which one I am going to try so, for now I just use the small frame lift. It is small and very portable but is not quite so stable.

Those who say it can't be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Don't know what you want to do with the bike on a lift, but a Pit Bull will allow you to remove both wheels at once, get the bike up high enough to sit down and wax, or pretty much everything else. They aren't cheap but work well.

You can get one that will lift with air pressure or one that lifts with manual pumping. This unit is smaller than a full table.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:31 am

Hf works well for Gl's but if space is a problem where are yoiu going to store it??? I have a PITBULL like lift.. from Hf too..it can handle the 1500..but not as stable as a table lift..I use tie downs to keep it steady. But as said gives access to wheels etc...some table lifts have cutouts for wheels too but the prices goes up as you ad features like that. You can also build a drive up table with cut outs for wheels Ihave plans for one someplace if your are interested..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Jeff M
Motorcycle: 98 SE

Postby Jeff M » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 am

I have one of these, if you want to go the El Cheapo route. It does the job, but you have to be careful. You must always strap the bike down. Removing either wheel requires the opposite one be blocked up. Having said that, it works, it's cheap, and it stores easily.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motorcyc ... Redirect=y

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:34 am

Jeff M wrote:I have one of these, if you want to go the El Cheapo route. It does the job, but you have to be careful. You must always strap the bike down. Removing either wheel requires the opposite one be blocked up. Having said that, it works, it's cheap, and it stores easily.

This one looks just like the HF jack with the "Craftsman" colors and price.
And thank you so much for throwing in that you should always strap the bike down. Way too dangerous otherwise.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:02 pm

I wonder just who makes these because it looks just like mine, and mine is blue and says A/C Delco on it. Picked it up at a garage sale for $15.00. Works great just a little unstable. Tie downs???, always.

Those who say it can't be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 pm

$15 that's a deal........................

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”