Minor coolant leak

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Minor coolant leak

Postby n5926g » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:53 am

Afternoon guy,s,
Took the Goldwing for a shakedown run Sunday,and it went fine,parked her in the garage,and looked for any signs of a leak....Yesterday,I got home from work around 5 to find about a teaspoon of coolant under the lh side,pretty much under the shifter...Dried it up,and nothing on the ground this morning when I left...She didnt leak a drop on the drive,or hours after......any idea,s...I had planned to put her clothes on this weekend,but unless I know where this is coming from,I dont want to.....

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Minor coolant leak

Postby golden highway » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:28 pm

From what I have read since mine ocasional does the samething is this is normal. It seems like it only happens when there is a big swing in the tempiture from hot to cold. Not freezing just a big change like you get this time of year.

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Interesting..,I dont have the time to look into it until the weekend,but plan to pull the lower front fairing and "snoop around"...thanks!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Leaking is not normal. I have owned 3 1500's and the only time I had a leak is when the water pump on my 92 went out. Unless the coolant was just changed and there was some that dripped on the lower cowl you have a problem. Look under the bike, the water is on the left of the oil filter, see if you see any coolant around it.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:09 pm

joeincalif wrote:Leaking is not normal. I have owned 3 1500's and the only time I had a leak is when the water pump on my 92 went out. Unless the coolant was just changed and there was some that dripped on the lower cowl you have a problem. Look under the bike, the water is on the left of the oil filter, see if you see any coolant around it.

Have to agree....The bike sat up for about 10 years(at least),and I had drained the original coolant to do the carb swap....I have a suspicion that the water pump may be the culprit,but won,t be able to confirm that till the weekend...I have a borescope with a flexible 3 foot line,so I should be able to actually SEE where its coming from without a lot of dis-mantling....

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Had a similar problem on mine, last year. Take a close look at the main hoses that connect to the radiators. There is a known issue where a manufacturing label was left attached to the radiator stubs, that the hoses then attach to and cover. The labels allow the hoses to slip back on the stub, causing a potential leak. I found that very problem on mine. The correct fix is to remove the hoses and remove the labels, then reattaching the hoses to the stubs. I had recently changed my coolant, and took the lazy way out, not wanting to dump the new coolant. I just slipped them back onto the stubs, and tightened the clamps. Haven't had a problem since. It was an intermittent issue, during cooler weather, but the signs of leakage were easy to spot near the point of the leak.

Mine was where the lower hose connects to the radiators.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:13 am

Yep two seconds at the factory or two hours in your garage..quality control!!! not...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:49 am

I had that prob. on my 1500 and looking under the leak was from the pump. I retight the nut and it's fixe the leak.
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:58 am

My such leak turned out to be the water pump went bad and the antifreeze was dripping out the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. Had to replace and all was well after that. :D :D

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm

wingman12 wrote:My such leak turned out to be the water pump went bad and the antifreeze was dripping out the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. Had to replace and all was well after that. :D :D

ALL good suggestions...Im sure the water pump is original.The ole girl only has 75,000 miles and some change on her,but 25 years old....When I pulled the original carbs,I obviously had to drain the coolant...but it sat dry for about 4 months....never noticed any leaks prior to the carb swap...Got home last night,and 2 drips....Cleaned it up,and nothing this morning....

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Had a similar problem on mine, last year. Take a close look at the main hoses that connect to the radiators. There is a known issue where a manufacturing label was left attached to the radiator stubs, that the hoses then attach to and cover. The labels allow the hoses to slip back on the stub, causing a potential leak. I found that very problem on mine. Mine was where the lower hose connects to the radiators.

The plastic sleeves on the radiator pipes were installed on every 1500 from '88 to 2000 to aid in removal of radiator hoses. Radiator hoses can literally weld themselves onto outlets which when trying to remove can damage the fragile radiator or requires cutting of the hose.

The sleeves were designed to be there as an aid to mechanical servicing of the machine although it did not stand the test of time and can cause leakage. Good idea when the bike was on the drawing board in '86 or so.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 pm

CT1500
The plastic sleeves on the radiator pipes were installed on every 1500 from '88 to 2000 to aid in removal of radiator hoses.

If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't remove the sleeves from my radiators. It makes sense. I've dealt with radiator hose issues as has been described. In my case, re-positioning the hoses, and re-tightening the hose clamps seems to have done the trick. It's understandable after 15-20 years, that the hose rubber would loose some of its elasticity, causing an 'apparent' looseness.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”