Carburetor adjusting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
par4ugolf

Carburetor adjusting

Postby par4ugolf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Any suggestions on proper adjusting of the caburetors on my 1999 Goldwing SE? Are there special tools etc. to attack this? Is this better left to a Pro? I do believe that my fuel mileage should be a bit better than it is. I have been told I should be getting 50 mpg or better if it is properly tuned. I am getting between 41 to 45 depending on the type of riding I am doing. Comments are appreciated as well as constructive criticism.

Thanks ahead of time to any and all replies

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Carburetor adjusting

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 am

If the bike is running okay then you have no problem. 41 to 45 on any 1500 is actually great mileage. Every one I know runs between 35 and 40 mpg. I get 37 to 40 riding 2 up but I don't putt around. Mpg is dependent on riding habits and conditions. Anything above 70 mph will greatly reduce your mpg. If you want an accurate mpg test you need to average it over a period of time not just one tank. Averaging 50 mpg is "wishful thinking". It can happen in certain conditions but on average. Never.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

par4ugolf

Re: Carburetor adjusting

Postby par4ugolf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 am

Thankyou for your input and it appears that just maybe I have been duped. I have checked my average over the whole period of time I have owned the bike and it generally has stayed about the same 41 in city type stop and go to 45+ in the highway mode.

My other concern is that it seems to take quite some time for it to get so it will idle without the choke on. Anyway the bike runs fine after it gets to the idling without the choke so I guess by the sounds of it I should be happy the way it is.

Thanks again

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”