Fuel leak s

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Fuel leak s

Postby punch7 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:49 pm

There's a small amount of gasoline is leaking into the spill tray around the gas cap of my 2000 GL1500. It appears to be coming from the tube around the filler neck. What's up with this and what is the correct fix, please?

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Re: Fuel leak s

Postby flyinrob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Usually the only way fuel can leak into the tray is from the fuel petcock located at the front of the tray. Usually means that the rubber diaphram inside the petcock is has failed and is leaking through a weep hole at the bottom of the petcock. There are rebuild kits available from Cyclemax and not a hard job to do the rebuild. Did mine last year and was fairly easy to do.

Rob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:54 am

punch7 wrote:There's a small amount of gasoline is leaking into the spill tray around the gas cap of my 2000 GL1500. It appears to be coming from the tube around the filler neck. What's up with this and what is the correct fix, please?

The tube around the filler neck is used to vent gas vapors into a charcoal canister for California bikes. For non-California bikes, it goes nowhere.

The only thing going up into that tube is gasoline vapor that is pushed past the pressure vent in the gas cap.

If you are getting gas up in there, are you filling your tank to the very brim?

The tube itself should not leak - it is basically just a piece of rubber fuel line encased in cloth. Check the clamp on the tube where it fits onto the gas cap.

It's more likely that the leak is coming from the petcock valve, immediately in front of the gas cap, at the front of the drip tray. If it is leaking, it will need to be rebuilt with a rebuild kit - a cheap and relatively easy fix. Also check the clamps holding the fuel hoses onto the petcock - they are weak springs and may need to be replaced with stronger screw band clamps.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks for your reply, Flyinrob and WingAdmin!

I had the chance to buy a 2000 SE and the seller described the situation with the gas in the tray. After reading your replies about the ease of replacing the diaphram, my wife and I drove 300 miles in the car to look at the bike. Fell in love with it and rode it back home with the bride in the car following me. The 'Wing drove fine but still leaked a bit into the tray.

Too late tonight, but I'll order the kit tomorrow. Any info as to how to take it out of the spot it's in? Looks pretty tight up in behind the gas cap.

Thanks again, guys, for the info!

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 am

If you do some looking you will find a write up on changing the petcock. You just have to remove the radio plastic to get to the petcock. Honda put a screw mounting the petcock to the tray that is a PITA to get out. When put back together left the screw out, no problems so far. Should take a about 1/2 hr to change.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Tprender,

I've been here at the computer since I read your suggestion to look for the write up on removing the petcock from the 1500.
I am now three years older. LOL!

Serioulsy... I've searched, googled, gogled, galloped and grunted through all the articles here and elsewhere and have yet to find that info. Would you, perchance, happen to remember in what section/forum/magazine/newsletter you came across it? I need help in locating it, please.

Thanks!

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 pm

I did find this one on rebuilding the petcock,

He just talks about getting to the petcock and then shows the rebuild of the petcock.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks, tprender. I did run accross that video in my earlier search.

Tonight I found this article on another forum and, although it isn't related to the OP, it does show clearly what is needed to be done in order to access the 1500 petcock for removal. :D

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100, parked in Pa.
93 GL1500 Interstate DD
99 Valkyrie IS

Postby Earl43P » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 pm

punch7 wrote:Tonight I found this article on another forum and, although it isn't related to the OP, it does show clearly what is needed to be done in order to access the 1500 petcock for removal. :D

Please post a link to that forum article, I'd like to read that. Thanks!
When all else fails, RTFM!

99 Valkyrie Interstate
82 GL1100 nekkid-ish
93 GL1500 Next!

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:33 pm

As stated, it does not show how to remove the petcock (Auto Fuel Valve), but it does show what needs to be taken off the bike to get to the unit.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/bik ... toside.jpg

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:48 pm

You can use the how to on changing the air filter http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10895 to get the top shelter off to have access to the petcock. If you remove the gas cap and the fuel tray overflow hose you should be able to lift the tray up from the left side enough to get to the pita screw that holds the petcock on from underneath.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks to everyone for your responses and tips.

Yesterday I was successful in removing, repairing and reinstalling the petcock. The petcock kit was easy to use and took less than five minutes to assemble. As everyone has mentioned, it's a bear to remove the petcock from the bike. However, after an initial attempt, I decided to use the Phillips head section of the 90° offset screwdrier tool. It's in the shape of a Z with a flat blade on one arm and the Phillips on the other arm. That saved the day in breaking loose the two bottom screws that hold the petcock to the bracket. For some reason, replacing the petcock to the bracket was much easier than removing it.

I also changed the fuel filter and air filter while I was in there. I almost dropped one of the airbox screws when putting the airbox cover back on. Using my magnetic Phillips screwdriver, I took the screw(s) and placed the screwdriver into the slots. Then using some Scotch tape, I taped one edge around the screw head, just above the washer, and the rest of the tape above that to the barrel of the screwdriver. This held the screw(s) securely and guided it/them into the hole(s) while I screwed them down. Then I just pulled the screwdriver straight up, releasing the tape from the screw head. I used a new piece of tape for both of the the hard to get at side screws on the airbox cover.

She's back up and running with no leaks from the petcock. New battery is on order so now all I have to do is change plugs, oil and rearend hypoid. Should keep me off the wife's honey do list for a little while today. :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”