gl1500 alternator rattle

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nothingbut2
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1100I

gl1500 alternator rattle

Postby nothingbut2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 am

Someone who has shimmed or reversed engineered the alt blades w the dampers please speak up. I have an 88 gl1500. Just replaced alt w a Ricks high output. Thing rattles. Stuck in new dampers. Still rattles. Put in original no rattles. Guessing tolerance issues between aftermarket. However, there seems to be a lot of play between oem blades and dampers. At any rate, has someone come up w a way to shim blades and damper?

I must emphasize, nothing wring w the motor. Thanks. Karl

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: gl1500 alternator rattle

Postby MikeB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm

You might try taking the input drive rotor from the old alternator and installing it on the new alternator.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

nothingbut2
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1100I

Postby nothingbut2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks for the kind reply. The rotor from the alt from Ricks isnt comatible. Wanted to do the same thing. Thanks though. Karl

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 pm

When I installed a new Lactrical 85A in January, I had some whining noises that I had never heard before, and some odd vibrations. It was emanating from the rear of the alternator, via a stethoscope. I thought the alernator was bad, so called the seller. They said no, of course, but sent it back for a replacement, and the new one was much quieter and smoother. I'd be suspicious of the alternator, itself. I'd also bet that's a Chinese (means not so well made) unit, which are prone to manufacturing variables due to the country of origin. Since the other alternator works fine, that would be your clue.

Bob380S2
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Postby Bob380S2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:36 pm

I have same problem. Measuring the original hitachi coupling fins they are about 0.2 mm thicker than those on the new high output unit (which is a WPS 90amp) . Rather than shim them I've painted the fins with high temperate Hammerite paint to build them up a bit so they fit tighter. Will fit tomorrow and see if that works. Bike was as very smooth until I fitted this WPS unit which has caused vibration under load up to about 2k rpm so keen to get rid that.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:03 am

Bob380S2 wrote:I have same problem. Measuring the original hitachi coupling fins they are about 0.2 mm thicker than those on the new high output unit (which is a WPS 90amp) . Rather than shim them I've painted the fins with high temperate Hammerite paint to build them up a bit so they fit tighter. Will fit tomorrow and see if that works. Bike was as very smooth until I fitted this WPS unit which has caused vibration under load up to about 2k rpm so keen to get rid that.

Very likely you've found the source of your issue.

Despite the GL1500's smooth engine, the rotation of the engine is not a uniform smooth rotation. Every time a spark plug fires and a cylinder lights off, the engine gets a push, and it then starts slowing down until the next cylinder fires. There is no huge, heavy flywheel to dampen these power pulses, so instead there are rubber isolators in the alternator drive and rear wheel. If there are gaps between the rubber isolators and the alternator fins, it will rattle back and forth with the power pulses, particularly at lower RPM's where the frequency of the pulses is lower.

Let us know how your (rather elegant) solution works out for you.

Bob380S2

Postby Bob380S2 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:53 am

Well my efforts with the paint did not work at all as it wasn't up to the job and came off in minutes. However my second attempt using 0.1mm foil from a food carton does seem to have held up well. I cut pieces to fit and glued them into place using JB Weld epoxy metal which is literally as hard as nails. Once set I trimmed the edges and and the fins now fit snugly into the rubber dampers. (see picture)

The shimming has worked well, and when I first set off on my test ride I was delighted to find that the vibration had virtually gone. However as the engine warmed up to temperature, the vibration began to return, nowhere near as bad, but still unacceptable for what is supposed to be smooth running. On removal of the alternator I found my shimming modification completely intact, so that has stood up to half a day hard ridding with no problems but this alone has not fixed the vibration and I'm reluctant to build it up any further.

Sadly I'm beginning to think that this alternator is just too big for the rubber dampers to handle and I'm worried that the increased load on the coupling and the vibration below 2000 rpm will lead to other problems so I am going back to my OEM unit which I am having rewound. The auto-electric engineer told me that the OEM units suffer burn out as they are underpowered at 40 amps but he will rewind it to about 50amps so hopefully this will be sufficient to last without going over the top (he said he'd never seen such a large unit on a Goldwing as my WPS 90amp)

I'll report back how that works. However if shimming out the fins on the coupler is sufficient for your needs, the use of the foil or any other suitable material, secured with JB Weld could be the answer.
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 am

I'd be concerned about degradation of any a material that is applied to the impeller. The area that this is located is open to the engine oil and loss of any part of the buildup material would go into the crankcase. The longevity of my engine is more important to me than trying to make an aftermarket alternator function as it should. The manufacturer has obviously fallen short in his/her design.

Furthermore, if that kind of work is needed to make an aftermarket alternator work properly, I would return it for a refund. Perhaps a tried and true unit such as a Compufire would be a better choice.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Bob380S2

Postby Bob380S2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Well reinstalling my rewound OEM alternator certainly fixed it and my bike is smooth as silk again so I'll be sticking with that. The one I bought was almost new via Ebay from someone who claimed he had sold his bike without it - most probably because he knew it rattled. I certainly won't be selling it on to some other poor unsuspecting owner though!!! Lesson learned I guess.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:26 pm

These Goldwings, especially the 1500s have more than a few lights on them, especially if you have the added saddlebag side lights, the center rear tail light below the tag, and possibly driving lights, and other accessory lights. This draws a very large amount of current which is highly demanding on the charging system. Try changing all your lights to LEDs which will cut the demand on the alternator drastically and make your alternator and battery last considerably longer, not to mention the increased life expectancy of the LEDs as well.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Bob380S2

Postby Bob380S2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks. Yes definately gonna do that. I've oredred some waterproof 3528 LED strip to replace the 18W per side saddle bag lights and will do the trunk lights while I'm at it.
Bob

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”