Coolant leak? or not?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Coolant leak? or not?

Postby n5926g » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Evening guy,s...Made a post earlier about a "minor coolant leak" and got some good responses... I have used my boresight camera, and don,t see anything so far. I can crank the bike, and run it until the temp guage is in the mid-range..Fan,s work, and then I shut it down...NO leaks anywhere....so Im figuring this isn,t a "pressure" situation...in the past, there has been maybe a teaspoon of coolant dripping off the lower tabs of the timing belt cover. So far its been 3 days, and the bucket is bone dry...Im am thinking that perhaps when I re-filled the coolant tank, I over did it(but don't remember)..and THAT is what I have been seeing on the garage floor....Is it plausible that any over filling could just sit on the top of the motor, and then "weep" down? I am ready to put her clothes back on, and ride, but leery to do so until I know its ok...anyone seen this? :shock:

WmHayes
Motorcycle: Goldwing Gl 1800 SE

Re: Coolant leak? or not?

Postby WmHayes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello, I have had a similar problem, I had put a little extra in the over Flo tank, and not realized it had flowed over a little, the bike was on the up right stand, and I did not notice anything, but the next day I fired her up and put hef on the side stand and there it was a small amount of antifreeze was on the floor, I also freaked out for a moment and then remembered that I had overfilled it the night before, I didn't think it was much at the time but kinda like a oil leak a little looks like a lot, so clean up what you can, just keep a easy eye on your temp guage oh and also if you do have a leak you should be able to smell the antifreeze, go enjoy & be safe .....

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:21 pm

WmHayes wrote:Hello, I have had a similar problem, I had put a little extra in the over Flo tank, and not realized it had flowed over a little, the bike was on the up right stand, and I did not notice anything, but the next day I fired her up and put hef on the side stand and there it was a small amount of antifreeze was on the floor, I also freaked out for a moment and then remembered that I had overfilled it the night before, I didn't think it was much at the time but kinda like a oil leak a little looks like a lot, so clean up what you can, just keep a easy eye on your temp guage oh and also if you do have a leak you should be able to smell the antifreeze, go enjoy & be safe .....

Thanks for the reply...One would THINK that if there is a leak,it would be way more pronounced while running(and hot)..this isn,t the case...I also always put her on the center stand,which may have been a mistake..perhaps I should have put it on the side stand,and let whatever "spillage" drain off when I "think" it happened....

WmHayes
Motorcycle: Goldwing Gl 1800 SE

Postby WmHayes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:57 pm

That's good food for thought for the next time you have to top off the the radiator, I'm sure everything is ok on your bike, or you would have seen more evidence of leaking. Like I said just keep a easy eye on everything and all should good, enjoy your bike & just be safe... Bill H.

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:03 pm

I would say, just ride it and keep an eye on the levels. My '92 has leaked a couple of tablespoons of coolant every winter (Canadian) since I bought it 3 years ago. That is, while parked and unused. It will continue a bit in spring when I start riding it, but gradually stop completely during the summer. The more I ride it, the better it performs. I have threatened to do a carb overhaul to deal with possible future vacuum leaks and a bit of a gassy smell for a while after a ride, and also to replace seals and o-rings to deal with the coolant leaks, but as long as it keeps running as well as it does, I'm going to put off that work. I took a 2-up trip around Lake Huron 2 summers ago, and a 8 day trip around Lake Superior this summer, and all is well. Just so you know, there are pockets on top of the crankcase where the coolant can possibly collect for a while before showing up as a leak on your garage floor.

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:56 am

fnickel wrote:I would say, just ride it and keep an eye on the levels. My '92 has leaked a couple of tablespoons of coolant every winter (Canadian) since I bought it 3 years ago. That is, while parked and unused. It will continue a bit in spring when I start riding it, but gradually stop completely during the summer. The more I ride it, the better it performs. I have threatened to do a carb overhaul to deal with possible future vacuum leaks and a bit of a gassy smell for a while after a ride, and also to replace seals and o-rings to deal with the coolant leaks, but as long as it keeps running as well as it does, I'm going to put off that work. I took a 2-up trip around Lake Huron 2 summers ago, and a 8 day trip around Lake Superior this summer, and all is well. Just so you know, there are pockets on top of the crankcase where the coolant can possibly collect for a while before showing up as a leak on your garage floor.

Pretty much have figured out that is EXACTLY what happened...There were no leaks while running under pressure,and it took a day or so to even see the small drips on the garage floor...I figure I spilled coolant when I re-filled the radiator,and it just sat on top of the engine for a bit before migrating down...Thanks!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Some of the earlier 1500's came from the factory with tape on the rad nipples where the hoses slide on.Eventually they start to leak when cold.Didn't leak when warmed up,but would seep when cooled down.If you can get your scope below these hose connections you should be able to evidence of these leaks even though it's a very slight leak.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”