Skipping problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Skipping problem

Postby jim mccarty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:35 am

Need some help to try to solve what I call a skipping problem on my 98 1500SE.
It sat up for about a year. Now, it is what I'd call either skipping or missing. It only seems to do it when cruising along under no strain. When accelerating or going up a hill, it feels & sounds smooth as silk like a 1500 should.
Also doesn't want to idle smoothly. Put a bottle of sea foam in tank at last fill up. Hope it'll help.
Next question: Can gas cap vent line cause any of this? When I got home from ride last night, had a hard time getting gas cap off.

Final question: my trike has only 25000 miles on it. It's a 98 model. With this few miles I'm sure trike sat up a good bit before I got it. So, do I need to change timing belts or should they be okay?
That's about it. Now I anxiously await ideas & solutions to help.
Thanks.......

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Skipping problem

Postby wingman12 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Good afternoon Jim, I would try a double dose of the seafoam in a couple tank full of gas just to be sure the varnish has been removed from your carbs, change the fuel filter. If you have no records indicating when the timing belts were changed (if ever) which I would guess not with only 25,000. your bike is 17 years old, yes it is past time to change the belts. the belts become brittle over time and especially when sitting.
You could also have vacuum leaks, warm up the bike pull the side cover plastic to expose the engine and begin light spraying of starter fluid on all vacuum lines you can find to see it there is any change in rpm. :D :D

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:12 pm

You likely have a lean surge/misfire from partially plugged idle jets in one or both carbs. Vacuum leaks should also be checked for.

The rich mixture of the slide circuit in the carbs kicks in when added power needed during throttle application masking the lean condition(s) in the idle/main circuits.

After diagnosis I am sure you will end up looking at mixture issues.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Another vote for continued SeaFoam use. Do NOT expect it to work right away! I got some bad gas a while back, and the bike idled like a Harley :shock: .

It took several hundred miles, and several tanks of SeaFoam-treated fuel, but it cleared out one day & ran and idled perfectly after that. The other option was to remove the carbs, clean them out, replace all the vacuum hoses, etc. Suffice to say, the SeaFoam endeared itself to me...

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks all for helpful hints. Went out & cranked the cold natured beast yesterday. Once it warmed up, it started idling better. Not there yet, but better.
If it ever stops raining here in Georgia, I'll put some more miles on it in hopes it'll clear out.

Got someone supposed to change my timing belts in a few weeks. Probably gonna change plugs then also.
Gotta get this thing right.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”