Where do these wires go?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Where do these wires go?

Postby GillesGLW » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

While I'm almost done with all the electrical stuff on the bike, I still have a question to ask you regarding the left and right saddlebag lights.
When I bought the bike, the saddlebag and trunck lights were not working. Thanks to the electrical schema I found on the web, I know now how to plug them.

But still there is a silly question I'm asking myself, where does the cable go from the saddlebag light? How should I make it go out of the saddlebag? Is there something specific in the saddlebag for that?

Thanks for your help!
Gilles

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: Where do these wires go?

Postby guitarzan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Gilles,
I don't know if I can help you or not but I went out and took a few pictures and let me know if this helps you or not. That one wire is hidden under the hinge if you can see it.
Attachments

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Gilles, try this link for youtube

Frank

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:42 pm

If you want to see one burn up, then fix it like the guy in the video did! :shock: Solder those wires before heat shrinking He didn't have a "short" , he had an open wire. If it had been soldered to begin with, he wouldn't have had the problem to begin with. :o
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:29 am

seelyark1 wrote:If you want to see one burn up, then fix it like the guy in the video did! :shock: Solder those wires before heat shrinking He didn't have a "short" , he had an open wire. If it had been soldered to begin with, he wouldn't have had the problem to begin with. :o

Wow. After your comment, I went and watched that video. That guy was just twisting wires together, then putting heat shrink around them, hoping the heat shrink would keep them together! Don't do what that video is demonstrating!!

Solder does help with the mechanical connection, but the primary reason for using solder is to prevent oxidation and corrosion. Especially on these light connections, which are down near the road spray, you HAVE to solder them. The lights of the guys in the video are going to fail again in short order once those heat-shrinked, non-soldered joints oxidize and fail. Hopefully they will just melt and fail, and not catch fire.

Also, I have a general rule of never using a heat gun anywhere my bike's bodywork! ABS has a very low melting point!

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby GillesGLW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:11 am

True, the "twist and heat shrinking" is definitively not recommended.... unless you want to start doing it again and again!

I will go (as I always did) with proper soldering and then heat shrinking. Now that I know where the wires are going, it will be quite easy. I will anyway remove my saddlebag this winter and have a check on the entire rear wiring.

And why not moving from bulbs to led for the saddlebag lights.... I think there is a very good DIY somewhere... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”