Similar to "Skipping Problem" thread......

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Similar to "Skipping Problem" thread......

Postby punch7 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:16 pm

.....but not quite. The 2000 GL1500SE I recently purchased with 61k on the odometer had been sitting in a garage for over a year. The petcock was leaking and the bike stuttered fiercely when it would finally crank. Everything else seemed to work, electrics, etc. I added some Seafoam and rode it home on I-55 for 275 miles and she cruised at 75 effortlessly. Stuttered in low rpms when leaving stations after refilling. Got it to the house and she was still stuttering at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear but smothing out in the higher gears. Changed out the petcock diaphrams and put the unit back together with the new spring and screws. I added new air filter, fuel filter, changed oil and oil filter and replaced the plugs. Was still sluggish and missing when throttle was rolled on at idle and it smelled like it was running rich. When riding, she still stuttered in 1st and 2nd but smoothed out in upper gears..almost.

The bride and I took a short 150 mile round trip to Natchez for tamales today and in 5th gear when letting off the gas, I noticed several times that she paused with small shutters when I rolled bac[u]k on [/u]the throttle. I've added a half bottle of Seafoam at each fillup hoping to clear up the problem, but the stuttering and rich gas smell persevere. Any ideas what needs to be done to fix this problem? The 'Wing seems to run strong in upper rpm's and I got 43.38 mpg running 50-65, but again the rich smell of unburnt gas.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Similar to "Skipping Problem" thread......

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:54 am

It is strange that these skipping subjects just came up as my 2000 SE just started doing the same thing. I had just filled up the tank and was riding home in the rain when it started. Makes me wonder if they have just changed the fuel to their "winter blend". Going to try the sea foam trick first and see what that will do. Don't have the time to stop and fix the bike right now. Darn it!!!
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Seelyark, this is my sixth 'Wing since 1989. Started with a '96 Asp, went from there to a '90, '94. '98, '04 1800 and now back to a 2000 SE. Always prefered the 1500's. The bride and I have right at 800,000 miles on our hineys traveling all 48 at least twice, plus riding through seven Provinces of Canada, and this is the first fuel issue I've had on any of the Honda Gold Wings. I did have to replace an alternator on the '98, but there were no fuel issues with that bike. Matter of fact, I can't think of any issues I've had with my 'Wings besides the alternator, and now this fuel issue. I can do the majority of the maintenance on the bike but carb's are not within my expertise because I never had to fool with them before. I was hoping the Seafoam would help but at this writing she's still stuttering and smelling of raw gas in lower rpms. Still looking for a possible answer from our more knowledgable GoldwingDocs Forum members

I know what you mean about the ethanol problem. I just wish our "wise and almighty elected officials" hadn't succumbed to the lobbyists and kept our corn to make flour, corn meal, bread and bourbon!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 pm

I had a similar experience with my 1988 1500, but mine was definitely leaking accelerator pump "O" rings.

It had a very strong fuel smell at idle and in the lower gears - and fuel mileage was not good - but on a longer cruising trip the fuel economy improved, but the smell got worse.

I would think if the bike sat for some time (mine was at least two years), then the small accelerator pump jets are probably clogged, and maybe the O rings need replacing as well. The jets being clogged explains the stumble off idle when throttle response needs an instant hit.

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I think you need to read your plugs to see of it's a rich or lean problem you have rode it enough now to get a reading if rich these bike's have a complicated air injection system I wonder if he could check an air dispham or so thing someone's going to have to chime in on the air side of the bike to solve this

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I got lucky on my problem. I put most of a bottle of Sea Foam in my tank, and let it sit for two days, and today the problem is gone. Pretty sure it was water in the fuel. I hope that some of the others problems are as simple as mine was, :D

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:59 am

Punch, it may be that the bike just sat too long with less than new fuel in it and no stabilizer. The idle circuits are below the float bowl fuel level and are prone to shellac build up. It may need carb removal and cleaning. But it may self correct after many cans of Seafoam treatments.

I had a '99 that sat for about a year and it developed the same issues you speak of. I went for the quick and sure fix of having the carbs removed and cleaned. Issue solved.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:48 am

Hi, Mike! Thanks for your post.

After trying about everything I had read about and that had been suggested,(other than taking the carbs apart myself...yeah, right) I had to take the bike to a 'Wing guru for help. He discovered one of the slide diaphragms had deteriorated and had cracks and pinholes in it. The other slide was functioning but looked a bit dry so I decided to replace that one too as it was as old as the other one. I almost wept when he told me the cost of the OEM parts, but better safe than sorry using aftermarket parts. I should have the bike back from him day after tomorrow. What with the work i was able to do myself.. a new petcock diaphragm, new air filter, new fuel filter, new plugs, new oil and oil filter plus a new battery...she should be ready to roll for our trip this weekend to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and the GW Rally in Gulfport.

Punch

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Hey everyone who has followed this particular thread. All is well now and the big blue bike runs like a sewing machine. I'm real happy to have her back home! I did notice the cruise control acting up coming home from the mechanic's shop, though. Set it and we'd run to the setting. All of a sudden, no cruise. Set it again and off we'd go.... till it went off again after I hit a bump. Tried setting it again, no deal. Waited a few miles, set it again and it worked, only to go off again within a quarter mile. I left it alone and waited until I could get home to read up on it but not much info on trouble-shooting this cruise control problem. Anyone else experienced this happening with your bike? Any solution?

Thanks!

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for letting us know how it went with the run-ability problem. I know what you mean about the bill bringing you to tears. If you put it in the terms of buying gasoline, at about $2.25 a gallon, the price I paid to have my carbs rebuilt would have paid for about 500 gallons of fuel which is about 18,000 miles of riding on my 36 mpg motorcycle. That's a hard pill to swallow.

As to the cruise control, you very possible have a problem with the foot pedal, hand brake lever, or clutch lever moving and cancelling the cruise operation.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:53 pm

I would guess the most likely cause is the clutch lever switch. Try holding the lever "out" with your finger while setting the cruise and see if it works. There are many entries on this site about replacing the switch or the pin that the lever rotates on.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I'll do a search and see what I can come up with in reference to the problem. Just off hand, how much clearance should there be between the actuator rod and the lever section that makes contact?

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I don't know if there is a clearance reference but I do not think it is adjustable. With a new bushing, the rod will be where it needs to be I would think.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 pm

The reason I asked is that the lever section is making contact with the plunger whil the bike is at rest. The brake lights don't activate until the lever presses the plunger in about a quarter inch or so. Don't know if the constant contact at rest has anything to do with the cruise problem.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Probably has nothing to do with it. There are two switches on the brake handle. One for the brake lights and one for the cruise cancel. The cruise cancel switch makes first and then the brake light switch. You will hear two distinctive clicks as you pull the brake lever.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

punch7

Postby punch7 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Good to know, Mike. Thanks one more time again!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:02 pm

MikeB wrote:Probably has nothing to do with it. There are two switches on the brake handle. One for the brake lights and one for the cruise cancel. The cruise cancel switch makes first and then the brake light switch. You will hear two distinctive clicks as you pull the brake lever.

Similarly there are two switches on the clutch handle - the first one you hear is the cruise disconnect, the second one is the in-gear-start enable switch.

Nine times out of ten this problem (cruise turning off over bumps) is due to a floppy clutch or brake lever hitting the cruise disconnect switch.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:51 pm

I'll be honest, guys, although I'm red faced to admit it. On the way down to Gulfport the bike behind me asked if I knew I was frequently riding my brakes!
DUH! I thought immediately of my cruise control problems! I slid my right foot back a bit and... Viola! No more intermittent cut offs!
When we arrived at the Rally site I looked closely at the brake petal configuration and determined the original owner, a lady rider, had raised the petal at least one spline notch upward. I readjusted it down and I imagine the problem has been corrected. My size 11 boots were too long for total clearance. Often times the solution to a problem is quite simple.

Thanks again to all you folks who contributed your thoughts and ideas to this subject. I really appreciate your courtesy!

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Boy am I sure that you are not the first to make a mistake like that, Really good that it turned out to be such an easy fix. :D
I'm still wondering about my skipping problem as it recurred one other time, and a very similar distance of my ride, but this time I was going the other direction. About 8 miles from the end of a 40 mile ride. Beginning to suspect a coil possibly going bad. Idles real rough, but when it cools off it runs fine. It has only happened twice in two weeks. :?

punch7

Postby punch7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:40 am

Sooner or later, the right person(s) will read of your situation and offer a suggestion that will lead to a solution, although you may have hit upon it yourself with the coil idea!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”