helmet box removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brianl
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing aspencade with roadsmith trike kit

helmet box removal

Postby brianl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:13 am

I'm looking for information on how to remove the luggage box (helmet box?) behind the passenger seat on a 1997 GL1500 Aspencade. Any suggestions?

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: helmet box removal

Postby Dogsled » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Good question.....I went thru this after thinking about what new thing I could do for a new look......Best thing to learn is to take off the side bags and this leaves you with a look at whats underneath the top box. Hope you're good at wiring. Anything can be overcome. You make your own mind up when you remove what I said.

I found I am at the point I can remove my bags and top tank while overcoming alot of factory wiring and replacing it with switches and heavier wiring......eliminating some items that had a ton of wiring and always presented problems to me. Like the rear shock compressor.......good lord could shove any more wires under that seat?????? There are prolly guys that still run their stuff stock....I stripped out the clusters and put in basic heavy guage wiring and quality switches.

Anyway. start there and see how good you are at this type of thing before trying it. good luck
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm going to try this from just memory without looking so don't shoot me if I miss something.
1. Drink a few beers to get up the nerve to tackle the job. You should have some Zeppelin playing in the shop for this.
2. Remove seat (first step in pretty much anything you do on a Goldwing)
3. Unplug the antenna, ground and accessory connectors under the seat.
4. Remove 4 screws from the trunk undercover. Remove undercover carefully as to not break any plastic tabs.
5. Unplug the brake/running light connectors that are underneath the under cover, one on each side.
6. At this point you should have to go pee, grab another beer and put on some Steve Miller Band because the Zeppelin album ended and you didn't have the Ipod on continuous play.
7. Remove right side cubby pocket with 3 screws on the inside of the trunk (this is for the SE only 'cause of the passenger footboard cable)
8. (Optional) Remove the antennas so you don't smack 'em into the roof of the carport again.
9. Unplug the speaker connectors by the trunk hinges (if equipped)
10. Remove 4 screws from inside bottom of the trunk while cursing the two in the back that are hard to get to. 8mm, I think.
11. Back to the house to swig some whiskey because the back two screws in the trunk pissed you off.
12. Scroll through the Ipod looking for something else to listen to. You should be in the mood for some old Iron Maiden about now.
13. Open the saddlebags and unhook the white plastic clips from the latch bars. Squeeze the cable stoppers and push them and the cable back through the saddlebag holes. Pay attention to the routing of those cables so you can reinstall them correctly.
14. Carefully lift the trunk free from the bike and hold it up in the air some while yelling for a helper to come shine a flashlight underneath to see what you missed that's still holding it attached.

I think that covers it.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 am

spiralout wrote:I'm going to try this from just memory without looking so don't shoot me if I miss something.
I think that covers it.

I kept looking for a "like" button, because a lot of these steps pretty much cover most of the work done on a bike. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:46 pm

NVSB4 wrote:I kept looking for a "like" button, because a lot of these steps pretty much cover most of the work done on a bike. :D

Yep, they do :D
Looks like 1 post OP got his info and didn't bother to comment. I thought I gave a pretty good walkthrough :cry:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”