won shifter brace installed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

won shifter brace installed

Postby golden highway » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:19 pm

I started installing the shifter brace I won yesterday and after working all day yesterday and half a day today it is done :D

The shifter brace is an easy install and worth the time. My wing shifted very nice before the install and had very little if any play so I didn't think it would make much difference. I was wrong it made a big difference. Shifts are very direct and crisp. It clicks it into each gear in tighter pattern than it used to.

Luckily they sent a new seal with the shifter brace because I found mine was starting the leak. This is where the time and frustration come in. I couldn't get the shifter arm off the shaft. There just wasn't enough space between the shaft and frame to remove it. I removed the motor mounting bolt and subframe and tried to add some room. I ended up bending my pry bar and still no luck. I was about to give up and make it a winter project. I ended up taking the subframe bolts out of the front of the frame and used two pry bars. I was really afraid I was going to damage the frame as much as I was bending it. I finally got it off. What I found is at the top where the bolt goes through there was a line of extra material left from manufacturing making it thicker than normal. I ground it down so it won't be a problem next time.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”