I started installing the shifter brace I won yesterday and after working all day yesterday and half a day today it is done
The shifter brace is an easy install and worth the time. My wing shifted very nice before the install and had very little if any play so I didn't think it would make much difference. I was wrong it made a big difference. Shifts are very direct and crisp. It clicks it into each gear in tighter pattern than it used to.
Luckily they sent a new seal with the shifter brace because I found mine was starting the leak. This is where the time and frustration come in. I couldn't get the shifter arm off the shaft. There just wasn't enough space between the shaft and frame to remove it. I removed the motor mounting bolt and subframe and tried to add some room. I ended up bending my pry bar and still no luck. I was about to give up and make it a winter project. I ended up taking the subframe bolts out of the front of the frame and used two pry bars. I was really afraid I was going to damage the frame as much as I was bending it. I finally got it off. What I found is at the top where the bolt goes through there was a line of extra material left from manufacturing making it thicker than normal. I ground it down so it won't be a problem next time.
Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
- Sponsored Links
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Erdeniz Umman, MSNbot Media [Bot] and 2 guests