Problem with Progressive 416 air shocks rotating on GL1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Problem with Progressive 416 air shocks rotating on GL1500

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:07 am

I went to pump up my rear shocks the other day, and strangely, they were at 0 psi. I pumped them up, but I couldn't get them above about 7 psi, and as soon as the compressor was stopped, they would leak back down to 0 psi in seconds. I obviously had a leak somewhere.

Looking at the shocks themselves, I found the problem immediately. The shock housings, the silver part at the top of the shock with the air fitting on them, is free to rotate from the rest of the shock. When installing, the shock is mounted into place, and the housing is then twisted so that the air fitting is facing to the rear of the bike, where the OEM air fitting normally goes.

The problem is apparently that during normal compression, over time, these housings rotate on their own. Looking down at the shocks from the top, the housings on both of my shocks had rotated almost 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

The result was that on my right shock, the air fitting was now pressing against the right saddlebag, and the left air fitting had rotated a full 90 degrees, pushing the air line hard up against the inner fender. This meant that the small air line was being bent at a 90 degree angle right where it came out of the fitting, and rubbed hard against the inner fender. This quickly wore through the air line.

I rotated the shocks back to their correct places, cut the damaged air line out, and reinserted the undamaged line into the fitting. A very simple five-minute fix (outside of taking saddlebags off to get to them).

If you have Progressive 416 shocks, you might want to have a look at them to make sure they are not rotating such that they are compromising the air fittings. I know I'll will be adding this item to my winter maintenance list.

Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Re: Problem with Progressive 416 air shocks rotating on GL1500

Postby Bobsiler » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Good to know thank you. I just bought a used set complete with compressor and switches/wiring on Ebay. I was just looking for a deal on shocks and picked up everything for $200. Just sent an email to progressive looking for a rebuild kit, figured I should rebuild them before installing. I'll make sure to watch for rotation down the line.
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”