Suggestion on where to attach driving lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE

Suggestion on where to attach driving lights

Postby NetTech94 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Have 2 driving lights mounted on a bar below the Headlight. Previous owner had connected them to the starter/reverse power which in turn was a problem due blowing out fuses from time to time. So have disconnected them

Concern if I wire them to the Auxilary location which already has the Digital VM connected would this be too much of a load.

Goal is to have power supplied to the lights only when key is on. There is a toggle switch to turn them on and off, but I only want power to the toggle switch with key in on position

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Suggestion on where to attach driving lights

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Assuming they are halogen lights and not LEDs, then yes, the accessory terminal will likely not have enough capacity for the lights.

The best thing to do is to run a new wire right from the battery - 14 gauge or larger. Fuse it right next to the battery, using the smallest fuse required (if you tell me the kind of lights/bulbs used, I can tell you the fuse size to use).

Run that wire through a 30 amp automotive relay, and from the relay to the lights themselves.

Connect the coil of the relay to the accessory terminal (or better yet, to a wire that has power when the ignition is in the "ON" position only).

That way, the lights will receive maximum current straight from the battery (which will make sure they run at maximum brightness), and the only thing your factory wiring harness will see added to it is the miniscule current required to activate the relay.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”