how can I restore the original intercom set up?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TonyP1
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE

how can I restore the original intercom set up?

Postby TonyP1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi folks
I have just recently purchased my first Goldwing and I absolutely love it! it's a 1997 SE with an incredible 13,000 miles on the clock and I can honestly say it's the best ride i've ever had in 45 years of motorcycling.

Anyhow there is one problem with it, the previous owner had installed an alternative intercom system 'Autocom' I believe which was removed prior to sale, there is no rider 5 pin socket and the lead from the passenger connector has been chopped off under the seat!

My question is, where would these cables originally connect to the radio/cassette/intercom unit, or should they infact lead to another control box (possibly under the seat somewhere?

any advice would be very much appreciated.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: how can I restore the original intercom set up?

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:53 pm

You can get replacement leads that plug into the wiring harness. Both have the same part # 39245-MT2-010.
The drivers is under the left fairing pocket and the passenger's is under the seat.
They are probably a 5 minute job to install.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:00 am

You might want to look into getting a service manual as it sounds like you are planning to keep and ride this bike for a long time. You can search the internet and probably find free books somewhere but the simplest solution is to go to: www.helminc.com
and order from them.

You should start your search right here at: http://goldwingdocs.com/Manuals.asp?typ ... &year=1997

There are two pamphlets there available for download dealing with the Audio system and the wiring system.

You might also look for a parts catalogue as they show a lot and also the correct parts numbers.

Be aware that a 1997 Wing is 18 years old so some/many OEM parts are probably no longer available from Honda and you may have to search salvage yards ans such. ALso be aware that Honda dealers can do a search of other US dealers to see if by chance a particular part which is no longer available from Honda might just be on some dealers shelf. No guarantees but it can work.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

TonyP1
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE

Postby TonyP1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for the information guys, I checked under the left fairing pocket and found the connector immediately, the passenger one had me stumped for a while as I couldn't find a spare connector, I finally realised that the reason for this was because the original lead was still attached and had been tucked down out of site!

So it's good news, i now only need to buy one lead (and two headsets)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”