Top case lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Top case lights

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I was done with my electrical problems (meaning here the poor quality of the modifications made by the previous owner), but when trying today to re-plug the lights on the bike, I had some surprises.

Let me start with the beginning:

1) I knew that my GL1500 had some poor cabling made to light the saddlebags, topcase and some other stuff. So I decided a few months ago to fix them one by one.
First thing was to have running and break lights working on the topcase:

To start with the correct stuff, I ordered some original trunk light from Honda (ref 33788-MAM-A82):

2) Having this new thing on hand, I noticed that the new plug for this new spare part has 5 pins on the red plug, while the one I have on my bike is only 2 pins (visible on the right side of the pic). So only blinkers are working today.

3) Not giving up at this point, I looked a bit further to understand where I could find both break and running lights on the connectors located under the trunk:

4) Confirmed by the electrical scheme I have with me, I found out that the white plug (on the right of the pic) was controlling the break and running lights.

5) So now I will need to connect the missing pins to this white plug, in order to re-create the 5 pin connector that I have on the spare part I bought.

Would you have an recommendation on the way to proceed? What is the best way to have the missing wires "connected" on this white plug?

Many thanks for your help!
Gilles

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Top case lights

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I would try to return it as much as possible to stock - so I would get a replacement connector from someplace like http://vintageconnections.com/ and crimp the wires into it properly. That way you can just plug it into that white plug and have everything running the way its supposed to be.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks WingAdmin!

I have been looking for an original wire harness from Honda, but the price is just amazing. Then there was the option of second hand spare parts, but no guarantee that it will fit correctly the bike.

I'm currently looking at this vintageconnections website, quite good actually. I also had a look at https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html where they explain how to slice wires, because I will have to "connect" 2 new cables on the existing one (to have the break and running lights of the topcase connected to the brake/running light of the saddlebags)

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:59 pm

just found some videos on youtube where some people are slicing wires and soldering them together. I will get some proper connectors from vintageconnections and put my SolderingMaster hat :-)

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

If the colors on the wires are correct, what about just releasing the pins in the connector one by one and swapping them with the original color plug?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:50 pm

That's exactly what I was intially aiming to do. Then I found on ebay a some used wiring stuff that I've ordered in the next 10 seconds I saw them!

They basically have all the missing wires, that will make my life easy!

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:54 pm

One general question to ask you all:

For my top case and sadlebag lights, I plan to have a switch to decide when to turn them on and off.

Now all the lights there are led lights, do you think I would need a relay or can I plug them directly on the battery? I've used a relay for my led corner lights, but here there's not much power in these small leds...

Thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:46 pm

GillesGLW wrote:One general question to ask you all:

For my top case and sadlebag lights, I plan to have a switch to decide when to turn them on and off.

Now all the lights there are led lights, do you think I would need a relay or can I plug them directly on the battery? I've used a relay for my led corner lights, but here there's not much power in these small leds...

Thanks!

It depends on the rating of the switch, and how much the LEDs are drawing. A typical automotive style switch will handle 10-15 amps, and will be more than enough to handle any LED load you could likely put on your bike. The LEDs will likely draw at most 2-3 amps, depending on how many you have.

Make sure you put a fuse on it as well, as close to the battery as possible.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks Wingadmin,

I would say that I have roughly 7 leds per side (I still need to check, but I think 3 for the top case and 4 for the sadlebag).
So it's 14 leds (got them at superbrightleds.com, very fast to come to Switzerland!), not a lot of power.
I need to check the switch now, it's the CB knockout panel from Show Chrome, not sure where the switch has been made, but I should be able to get some information on it.

I have my powerplate in place, so a fuse will be dedicated for these leds!

Cheers,
Gilles

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:57 pm

New challenge!

I got the new wiring for the top case lights, which include turning lights, break/running lights and a small bulb for the center part of the top case (where we find the "goldwing" emblem)

Now the my problem is the following, when I plug the new wiring, the break lights are working fine. But I have no running lights. FYI, my led bulbs do both running and break lights.
I am also missing now my turning lights.

I have also changed the rear sub-wiring harness which only had a 2-pins plug, not allowing me to have the new item shown on the pic.

Any idea where I could start investigating for a solution?

Thanks,
Gilles

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”