HID Projector Lamps Retrofit.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

HID Projector Lamps Retrofit.

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:02 pm

I just finished changing my HID lamps to these projector style.
Just about everything went into the right side fairing under the lockable pocket. I also added the switches above the right handlebar brake reservoir and then powered them off of my version of the auxillary fuse panel. The positive side of the relays comes from the accessory terminal on the original fuse panel so the entire system is controlled by the ignition key. I then ran the 12v through the relays and one feeds the fuse panel and the other the ballasts for the HIDs. One switch on the handlebar pod activates the ballasts so I have the ability to turn off the headlights and use the halos as DRLs as they are controlled by another switch in the pod.
Attachments
Angel Eye Projectors
Angel Eye Projectors
Fuse Panel
Fuse Panel
Angel Eye Halos
Angel Eye Halos

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: HID Projector Lamps Retrofit.

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Any chance you'd post a wiring diagram for your set up.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I'll give it a shot.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:58 am

RBGERSON > here is a GIF of my auxillary fuse panel wiring.
Attachments
Ed

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:37 am

THANKS....................................
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd like to see a pattern of the lights down the road at night, if you could take a picture of that.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 am

I'll see if I can get one this weekend.
Ed

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:56 pm

I too would like to see the light pattern. I am also curious, did you retain high/low with this mod or did you have to give up the high beams ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I too would like to see the light pattern. I am also curious, did you retain high/low with this mod or did you have to give up the high beams ?

Projector lamps typically have a shield inside the lamp housing that limits the vertical travel of the light upward, to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers. When you switch to high beam, it moves this shield up and out of the way, allowing the light to shine without restriction.

Projector Low Beam
Projector Low Beam

Projector High Beam
Projector High Beam

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Cool , did not know that. . . Thanks
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

rgmr250
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE, 2015 Ninja 650, 2011 KLX250s, 2010 Husqvarna TE250, 1987 FZR1000 (project bike)

Postby rgmr250 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I put HID bulbs in my 97's stock housing - it's clearly better than the halogen's, but not as good as projectors. I have a projector retrofit in my Ninja, and the projector setup is an order of magnitude better - better quality light, more focused and a nice, crisp cutoff line without light splay all over the place. Projectors are definitely the way to go.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Where did you get the projector lamp from. I did a screach for the angel eye projectors for the 1500 with every thing coming back to your post here.

rgmr250
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE, 2015 Ninja 650, 2011 KLX250s, 2010 Husqvarna TE250, 1987 FZR1000 (project bike)

Postby rgmr250 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 pm

ka4yqi wrote:Where did you get the projector lamp from. I did a screach for the angel eye projectors for the 1500 with every thing coming back to your post here.

I don't know if these are the source he used, but a lot of people use TheRetrofitSource for HID projector kits:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/compl ... -kits.html

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I'd like to see a pattern of the lights down the road at night, if you could take a picture of that.

Here is the light pattern I have as of today. I made a wiring error on one of the Hi-Lo controllers and shorted something inside so it doesn't do the low beam on the right side now. ( I have the replacement on it's way) The high beam works on both sides but one thing I would caution other about is the HID bulb itself. The units I installed have a proprietary bulb. That is, only their bulb fits their projector housing. This was not known to me when I purchased the set and I didn't care for the color of the light produced so I tried to fit different H1 style bulbs. They don't fit quite right and it does affect the light pattern. There are conversion kits out there that use standard style bulbs and I probably should have done a bit more research but overall I am pleased with the outcome. I am still going to try to adapt the "incorrect" replacement bulbs just because I like to tinker with things.
Here is the link to the eBay seller that has what I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111274386731?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
Low Beam
Low Beam
High Beam (Both lamps on)
High Beam (Both lamps on)
Ed

rgmr250

Postby rgmr250 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 am

Fiberthree wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I'd like to see a pattern of the lights down the road at night, if you could take a picture of that.

Here is the light pattern I have as of today. I made a wiring error on one of the Hi-Lo controllers and shorted something inside so it doesn't do the low beam on the right side now. ( I have the replacement on it's way) The high beam works on both sides but one thing I would caution other about is the HID bulb itself. The units I installed have a proprietary bulb. That is, only their bulb fits their projector housing. This was not known to me when I purchased the set and I didn't care for the color of the light produced so I tried to fit different H1 style bulbs. They don't fit quite right and it does affect the light pattern. There are conversion kits out there that use standard style bulbs and I probably should have done a bit more research but overall I am pleased with the outcome. I am still going to try to adapt the "incorrect" replacement bulbs just because I like to tinker with things.
Here is the link to the eBay seller that has what I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111274386731?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Yeah, I think that most of the projector retrofit kits use the mini H1's, so you can't use normal H4 HID bulbs. Do your bulbs look like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-35W-HID-Repl ... wA&vxp=mtr ??

I don't understand why you'd have one lo-beam out - those are Bi-Xenon, which means each projector has one bulb, and the switch from hi to low beam is just a reflector that gets mechanically re-positioned, so if you have hi beam on both sides, you should have lo beam on both sides - since it's the same bulb that does both and the bulb is supposed to just stay on all the time, and the reflector moves to change the beam (it just blocks the top portion of the light output on lo-beam, then moves out of the way to allow all the light on hi-beam.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Nice install. I have HID's on my bike now but kind of wish I had gone with projectors. I didn't know much about lighting at the time and still learning. Ended up installing a SoCal HID kit and changed the bulbs to ones with shrouds that helped with the light reflecting off the bottom of the reflector and dazzling oncoming drivers. Works nice and its very bright but its not like projectors. HID's extend maybe 3-4 times the distance over the halogens I had but there are still hot spots at the back of the reflector. When I use high beams the arc slides and light can get thru the gap at the back of the casper type shield.

Sort of like these:

Was it a lot of work to open up the housing and install them projectors? I've read some where they put the housing in an oven and heated it to soften the glue then pry'd the housing open. And did the projectors fit right in the existing H4 openings?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:55 pm

rgmr250 wrote:I don't understand why you'd have one lo-beam out - those are Bi-Xenon, which means each projector has one bulb, and the switch from hi to low beam is just a reflector that gets mechanically re-positioned, so if you have hi beam on both sides, you should have lo beam on both sides - since it's the same bulb that does both and the bulb is supposed to just stay on all the time, and the reflector moves to change the beam (it just blocks the top portion of the light output on lo-beam, then moves out of the way to allow all the light on hi-beam.

Yes, those are the style bulbs that came with the projector housing. I thought the color was a little too greenish and wanted to change them for the 6000K color.
The Hi/Lo controllers on mine are plugged into the stock headlight sockets Hi and Low positions and the ground is connected to the bike's chassis. When your headlights are on it electronically switches the ballast on. So if you only connected the Hi circuit it would drop the bar that blocks half of the output in addition to allowing the ballast to power the bulb. Flip the bike's headlight to Lo and since you didn't plug in that side of the controller, the ballast wouldn't get the 12v and the bulb would be off. I mistakenly set up one side with Lo beam and the ground side. This shorted something in the controller and as a result it backfeeds the Hi side voltage into the controller and I have no low beam no matter how I wire it. I'm a dope! I could have just wired the Hi/Lo with a relay, and the ballasts to the auxillary switch but I didn't want to find another spot to put an additional relay. The new controller is on it's way and I'll have it installed by next weekend.
Ed

rgmr250

Postby rgmr250 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:14 am

Fiberthree wrote:
rgmr250 wrote:I don't understand why you'd have one lo-beam out - those are Bi-Xenon, which means each projector has one bulb, and the switch from hi to low beam is just a reflector that gets mechanically re-positioned, so if you have hi beam on both sides, you should have lo beam on both sides - since it's the same bulb that does both and the bulb is supposed to just stay on all the time, and the reflector moves to change the beam (it just blocks the top portion of the light output on lo-beam, then moves out of the way to allow all the light on hi-beam.

Yes, those are the style bulbs that came with the projector housing. I thought the color was a little too greenish and wanted to change them for the 6000K color.
The Hi/Lo controllers on mine are plugged into the stock headlight sockets Hi and Low positions and the ground is connected to the bike's chassis. When your headlights are on it electronically switches the ballast on. So if you only connected the Hi circuit it would drop the bar that blocks half of the output in addition to allowing the ballast to power the bulb. Flip the bike's headlight to Lo and since you didn't plug in that side of the controller, the ballast wouldn't get the 12v and the bulb would be off. I mistakenly set up one side with Lo beam and the ground side. This shorted something in the controller and as a result it backfeeds the Hi side voltage into the controller and I have no low beam no matter how I wire it. I'm a dope! I could have just wired the Hi/Lo with a relay, and the ballasts to the auxillary switch but I didn't want to find another spot to put an additional relay. The new controller is on it's way and I'll have it installed by next weekend.

Yes, it should be wired so the bulb is always on, and the high-beam wire just triggers the 'shutter' to open. I would suggest running the lo-beam wire (which should have power whether the hi-beam is on or off) to a 30-40 AMP relay, and have the relay 'relaying' power directly from the battery to the two ballasts. I've done a number of HID setups (cars and bikes) and have had issues when there wasn't sufficient power to fire the ballasts, so getting power directly from the battery (with a fuse and through the relay, of course), I've found is the most reliable way to do it. When you first turn on the HID's, the ballasts need to 'light-up' the bulb with a very strong blast of power in order to get the arc started inside the bulb - once the arc has started, the HID's use less power to keep them 'lit' than halogens do.

So, you should only need to use one of the H4 headlight harnesses that normally goes to the headlight - the other one should be covered - at least with good electrical tape to try to keep out moisture etc. and avoid it shorting on something. The other H4 harness (has 3 wires, ground, lo-beam and hi-beam) should have the lo-beam to the trigger on the Relay. The hi-beam should go to the shutter trigger wire, so when there's power to the hi-beam, the shutter opens and gives the full hi-beam lighting. The 12V output from the relay should go to the two 12V+ inputs on the relays. Make sure you have good ground from the ballasts too - I ran a 14 gauge ground from the ballasts right to the battery.

Re the color - I've started using the 4300K bulbs, since that's generally closest to what the OEM's use in the factory HID systems - there's less 'blue' in the light, but still plenty of white light. I've read that 4300K actually produces the most light (lumens) - lower color temperature (3000K) and the light is yellowing, and less light output, higher (6000K and up) and the light is more blue and actually starts to produce lower light output (lumens)

I really like the Projector setup - I should have done the same on my Goldwing - maybe one day I will.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:36 am

Happytrails wrote:Nice install. I have HID's on my bike now but kind of wish I had gone with projectors. I didn't know much about lighting at the time and still learning. Ended up installing a SoCal HID kit and changed the bulbs to ones with shrouds that helped with the light reflecting off the bottom of the reflector and dazzling oncoming drivers. Works nice and its very bright but its not like projectors. HID's extend maybe 3-4 times the distance over the halogens I had but there are still hot spots at the back of the reflector. When I use high beams the arc slides and light can get thru the gap at the back of the casper type shield.

Was it a lot of work to open up the housing and install them projectors? I've read some where they put the housing in an oven and heated it to soften the glue then pry'd the housing open. And did the projectors fit right in the existing H4 openings?

Thank you.
I had a build up of dirt inside my headlight housing and compressed air blown in didn't dislodge it. I was resigned to the fact that I had to open it to get the crud out. (I had to use isopropal alcohol to disolve whatever it was.) So I figured it would be a good time to try the conversion. I used a heat gun and just kept going around the edge until it was warm enough to pry apart. I was holding the housing in one hand while I did this so I wouldn't heat it to the point that I couldn't hold on to it. The kit I purchased included washers to adapt it to H4 style housings. As you know Honda didn't use standard H4's so the washers wouldn't just drop in. I cut off the bottom tabs and had to flip the projector base 180* so the slots that keep the projector from twisting would line up. Fortunately the Hi/Lo relay was mounted in the shroud base so it worked out for me. The kit also included a thick silicone washer to cushion the projector in the stock housing, insulate the projector bowl from the stock housing, and absorb any vibration. If I choose to restore it to stock configuration, every thing would just unbolt and I could put all the stock parts back in.
Attachments
Rear of the headlight housing
Rear of the headlight housing
The effect I was looking for!
The effect I was looking for!
Ed

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:20 am

Good stuff. I like that you can completely undo it if you wanted too. That was something I was trying to do when I installed HID's. Wanted it to look as good as factory but be able to change it back to stock if needed. Did you just use silicon to close the housing back up or something like gorilla glue? And your turn signals are on full time and aren't amber?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Happytrails wrote:Good stuff. I like that you can completely undo it if you wanted too. That was something I was trying to do when I installed HID's. Wanted it to look as good as factory but be able to change it back to stock if needed. Did you just use silicon to close the housing back up or something like gorilla glue? And your turn signals are on full time and aren't amber?

I was fortunate that the sealant was not destroyed or contaminated when I heated it, so I just reheated the assembly and used some padded clamps to squeeze the clear cover back in place. So far no leaks.

I also heated the turn signal housings, opened them and removed the amber cover for the bulb. I then replaced the bulb with a switch-back LED bulb that has a white running light but an amber turn signal.
Ed

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 pm

I have posted all the photos that I took in my members picture gallery. I also included photos of the LEDs I installed behind the stock housing.

http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Fi ... rsion_2328
Ed

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:56 pm

It appears there is a similar kit on Amazon, with yellow "angel eyes" instead of red:

http://www.amazon.com/Liquor-Motorcycle ... ingdocs-20

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:58 pm

There were several color combinations when I purchased mine. I almost bought a different set but the deciding factor for me was the style of the shroud. Theirs came in White/Red or White/Blue. (Neither one is viewed favorably by law enforcement on anything but official vehicles) There were a lot of others that were very "busy" and colorful. I was looking for something less gaudy in terms of appearance. Although I wired them in, I haven't used the red while driving. I've shown a few friends but that was while parked.

Ed

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”