Auxiliary Inut Jack

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
roachs

Auxiliary Inut Jack

Postby roachs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:36 am

I have a 95' 1500. Would like to connect to the Auxiliary Input Jack for a portable audio system. Not seeing the cord supposedly located below the left fairing pocket. Anyone have any idea what wires I could tap into?

bobcree

Re: Auxiliary Inut Jack

Postby bobcree » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 am

I have the same problem. I checked and the wire described in the manual is not there. Hope you get a reply as it will help me. I read that the wires we need are Blue/Green and Blue/Yellow but I could not find them.
Bob

roachs

Postby roachs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 am

I ended up just putting in a dual power supply with 15 amp breaker. Figure I will just use that to power sat radio and gps.

bobcree

Postby bobcree » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:00 am

I am looking for an aux audio input to the radio system.

rt66john
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade; 2006 Yamaha Road Star Warrior

Postby rt66john » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:33 am

Only the Interstate model had the aux input. The Aspencade and SE models do not.

1wingman4u

Postby 1wingman4u » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:15 pm

bobcree wrote:I am looking for an aux audio input to the radio system.

I have just bought a deal that my be what you are looking for! I got a cassette tape looking thingy (spoken like a woman....but not!) that you insert into your tape deck. It has a wire comming out of the edge of it that will (hopefully) come out of your tape hatch. You can then add a CD player or MP3 or whatever and it will play using your cassette as the input source. Mine is made by Phillips and I bought it at Wal-mart for $20. It comes with a power source for powering things that need external power as well as all the adapters necessary. I will try it out tomorrow morning and post the results! I plan on using it to add a CD player to my 1500.

jettdirect
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Postby jettdirect » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 pm

You can use an FM modulator that plugs inline into the antenna cable. Wire the modulator to power and find somewhere to mount the switch. They work pretty well.

thunderbolt

Postby thunderbolt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 pm

I did use a FM modulator, Had no fun with it at all.
On regular base there is just to much interference with other broadcasting stations, on longer trips.
Best results I have with a cassette like 1wingman4u described.
Only Some wingers have problem with the auto-reverse, if so try to turn the cassette.

The cassette that works very, fine is from Belkin. And this will cost you approximately $15.-.
And that is cheaper than $140.- for a FM Modulator and the sound is 100% better.

An other option could be to change the radio inside.
On several websites you can find how.
Problem is you need skills to work on electronics.
Basicly if you picture a tuner connected on an amplifier like your home stereo set.
At the connection to the amplifier you place a switch(relay) to change between radio and aux.
The display of you wing keeps showing the frequency and that's what I don't like.

Nearby Hamburg in Germany is an electronics company that knows the point where signal from the cassette in stead of the tuner
goes into the amplifier section.(he keeps it secret)
The result then is, that if I select Cassette without having a cassette inserted the aux. will be working automatically.
And in the display of the cockpit a Little square will show without the cassette direction arrow.
If I can find that point I will rebuild my radio that way.
Until then I Use the Belkin solution.

jettdirect

Postby jettdirect » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 am

A new and very interesting item I learned about recently is an MP3 player in the shape of a cassette that plugs into the cassette player and plays through the cassette player. Music is store on an SD card which is inserted into the player. You can also carry the player in your pocket as a portable mp3 player. Plays .mp3 format music only. I would like to see a demonstration video of one of these plugged into a cassette player. I intend to buy one of these and try it.

Last edited by jettdirect on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

jettdirect

Postby jettdirect » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 am

Here are some instructions on how to tap into the GL1500 radio to add an mp3 player input.
http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

This outfit sells a kit to connect an mp3 player to a GL1500 radio.

http://www.cellset.com/retrofit.html

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 am

I've always used the cassette adaptor even in the truck. For ten bucks or so you can't miss. 8-)

1wingman4u

Postby 1wingman4u » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Well after many months of thinking about fixing my cassette deck (which would not work) I finally took the initiative and disassembled my unit only to find that the belt had come off. After putting the belt back on everything worked fine! I used the cassette "thingy" to sync my Ipod device and the music coming through was not bad at all. Nice to have what you want to hear when there aren't any radio stations around that are playing it for you. Only problem I had was finding the right place to route the little cord coming out of it so as not to pinch it when closing the hatch on the deck. Top corner worked fine without having to notch anything. No need to modify any wiring or add any jacks using this way...everything remains stock....unless of course you feel the need to modify things, in which case, get on with it!

vtx2005
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Postby vtx2005 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:23 pm

on my 1990 the power wire runs to the positive battery post with a inline fuse . this worked out good .that way if you blow a fuse its right by the battery and you do not have to take the bike apart

nhorneck
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Postby nhorneck » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 pm

I just bought one of the cassette adapters, but the cover pinches the wire. To fix this I removed the radio, inserted the cassette, and ran the wire down inside. I routed it through the frame and came up inside the left fairing pouch. I can put my ipod in the fairing pouch and I am good to go. I just leave the tape in the deck. I don't even own a cassette tape anymore, so I won't need to use it for anything else. I also bought a wired remote control for my ipod. I attach this to my handlebar right by the hand grip so that I can skip songs if I wish.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Re: Auxiliary Input Jack

Postby ka4yqi » Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

I have added the aux inputs jacks to 2 Goldwings by using this method. It was well worth it.
http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

Hrai
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 - Grey

Postby Hrai » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 pm

I have just completed the installation. What an excellent upgrade. Thanks to those who came up with it.

Guy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am

I'm working on this at this very moment for my bike, I'm documenting it as I go and I'll post it as a "how to" once I'm done.

I'm setting mine up with two switchable inputs - AUX1, AUX2 and radio/cassette. That way I can plug in my XM radio as well as my phone (or whatever).

heidebill
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Postby heidebill » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 am

I hummed and hawwed about an input jack, Found this unit on ebay and use it all the time

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-MP3-Player-F ... 5add856024

It uses an SD card or you can plug in your mp3 player and also you can use a USB Flash drive,
I have an SD card for my favorites , and an SD card for my wifes favorites

You select the FM station on both Bike and Player, and it runs through you Bike radio
Can't say enough good about it, and its cheap
Bill

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:20 pm

jettdirect wrote:A new and very interesting item I learned about recently is an MP3 player in the shape of a cassette that plugs into the cassette player and plays through the cassette player. Music is store on an SD card which is inserted into the player. You can also carry the player in your pocket as a portable mp3 player. Plays .mp3 format music only. I would like to see a demonstration video of one of these plugged into a cassette player. I intend to buy one of these and try it.

The trouble with this "cassette" is that it has it's own internal power source so once it dies you need to plug it into USB to charge it again. Not much good on a long trip.

heidebill wrote:I hummed and hawwed about an input jack, Found this unit on ebay and use it all the time

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-MP3-Player-F ... 5add856024

It uses an SD card or you can plug in your mp3 player and also you can use a USB Flash drive,

You select the FM station on both Bike and Player, and it runs through you Bike radio
Can't say enough good about it, and its cheap
Bill

I have exactly this unit too. Actually I think I have about 3 of them. I've got a 12V socket in my front pocket that I plug it into. Put in a 4GB card and I never here the same song twice and if I do it's been so long I forgot, which is likely the case. I've had mine for a couple of years and it still works fine.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 pm

heidebill wrote:I have an SD card for my favorites , and an SD card for my wifes favorites.
Bill

So Bill. I'm guessing your SD card doesn't get much air time. :lol: :lol:

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”