1500 cooling question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
warlock1954
Motorcycle: 05 Goldwing

1500 cooling question

Postby warlock1954 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:58 pm

I have just bought a 92 goldwing trike. Have noticed when sitting in traffic or my shop the fans will come on, but will not cycle off unless I start to ride again. Do they normally do this? Just wondering. I ordered a lot of stuff for it. Don't know how long since any hoses or vacuum lines changed. So going to change all the cooling hoses, vacuum lines, timing belts, new K&N filter. Also adding a 4 degree trigger wheel. I'm a mechanic by trade, so doing the work is no problem. Also ordered a new thermostat gasket and top housing.
thanks, David

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: 1500 cooling question

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:30 pm

The fans should cycle off at some point although it would depend on the ambient temp.Sitting in traffic with 100* ambient temp. it may not,but it should still keep it cool enough.I'd hold off on the trigger wheel myself as it's not really necessary if everything is working right.The trigger wheel will help mask issues from rotten vacuum lines and dirty carbs,but not fix those obviously.It will however make it harder on fuel as well as possibly making it run hotter.As far as the K&N goes if you like intake noise go for it,but the OEM does a really good job and aren't expensive.Good luck with the new Wing.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:47 pm

warlock1954 wrote:I have just bought a 92 goldwing trike. Have noticed when sitting in traffic or my shop the fans will come on, but will not cycle off unless I start to ride again. Do they normally do this? Just wondering.

No, the fans should cycle on and off as the coolant temperature rises and falls. check the radiator fan temperature switch for proper operation.
warlock1954 wrote:I ordered a lot of stuff for it. Don't know how long since any hoses or vacuum lines changed. So going to change all the cooling hoses, vacuum lines, timing belts, new K&N filter.
In my experience, the K&N filter is an added expense that you really don't need. The OEM filters flow more air than the carburetors will ever need. And, then you have the extra work of cleaning and oiling and letting the filters air out for 24 hours prior installation. I'd rather just replace the filter and forget it for 24,000 to 30,000 ,000.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

warlock1954
Motorcycle: 05 Goldwing

Postby warlock1954 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:49 pm

I like the trigger wheel. Ran a 6 degree on my 99 Valkyrie for 11 years. I always ran midgrade. When I was watching my fans in my shop I let it run a while. Temp got just a tad over midway and temp was around 85 to 90 degree in my shop. Don't know on service so I figured a good flushing with new hoses would do it some good and piece of mind. Once I get it back together will check the syn on the carbs. I also ordered new isolation rubber for the carbs. That way it will be a long time before I have to look back into the valley. I figured like the Valkyrie, it doesn't need much on nothing. Will be removing the pair system also. I know it doesn't do anything for performance, but sure helps elimate possible vacuum leaks. Have seen several of the control for the pair valve develope leaks and man a bugger trying to track down a vacuum leak on it. I do like the 1500 engines. I just traded my 1800 in on this. Bike only has 32,000 miles on it. So one big maintenance and ride it forever. Why the trade, I got to have both knees replaced in the near future and figured with the good deal I went for it. I still have a little Suzuki M50 I ride and a fun bike at that.
David

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”