Side covers.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
purchelli
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 GL SE

Side covers.

Postby purchelli » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:09 am

Hi all: It seems I need to remove the two large side covers from my 2000 SE to access the frame so I can strap down the bike for transport . The 2 side covers I am talking about are the two that have the goldwing badges on each side of the bike. I can see the large indents in the covers for you to get your fingers in. I tried yanking the covers off but they did not want to play ball and I don't want to damage them.
What is the secret ? Do I need to remove the seat? I don't even know how to do that.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Side covers.

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:42 am

1st you don't have to strap the bike down at the frame under the side covers..but to remove them you do lift at the front finger depression..it can be very tight, a good thing..there are two connection points up top one bottom pull straight out but not to far or you will break the rear pegs..now with the cover out a bit you should be able to get your finger under the rear end of the cover and pop out the bottom rear peg..again not to far out then the top without titling the bottom out very far or you'll break the top peg. Sometimes you have to push up on the seat a bit to get the top of the cover free..and the passenger pads must be adjusted all the way down.

Now depending on your trailer..does it have a front wheel stop and clamp. One do not leave the side or center stand down..the bike should ride on it's shocks. running straps under and around the front forks on each side will secure the front and that might be all you need. Securing the rear is not required but can be done..easily using the passenger handles but lightly strapped down or with some more work to the rear frame..the bags are in the way but it can be done. The angel of the straps is key too..the wider the angle the better to the rings.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Don't tie your bike down like that. You don't know what you could damage or your ties could slip and become loose during transport. Check out this link to (How To) to do it right. http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14030 It's really easy to do and very stable.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:27 pm

I've used the GoldwingDocs method for probably several thousand miles of towing to the Smokey Mountains, as well as a few trips within Florida. Watch for catching any cables or anything other than the triple tree up front, left and right. Place the 2 rear straps down low, and right where the passenger handles meet the seat. That will minimize the stress on the seat bolts, as opposed to strapping high on the handles. Then one strap to tie the front wheel to whatever chock or tiedown point you have up front, just as a security tie. And don't forget to put down the side stand before you release the straps on the opposite (right) side. It is really tough picking up a Wing while on a trailer. How do I know. Actually, I never forgot to put down the stand, but released the left side straps for final adjustment once, and it fell to the right. No damage, just a couple of neighbors to help stand it up again.

Oh, BTW. If you get your side covers off successfully, be sure to check the rubber grommets condition while they are off. If they are bad or missing, replace them. Otherwise, be sure to put some silicone grease on the grommets and plastic pegs while they're off, to ease removal the next time, and keep from breaking the pegs, as they are prone to do. Cyclemax sells spare grommets. I replaced several of mine right after getting the bike, siliconed them, and no problems since. You do want them to fit tightly, so the panels don't fall off on the road. They're expensive to replace. Grommets are cheap.

purchelli

Postby purchelli » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Ok thanks Bluewater and Charlie. I'm crossing what can be rough piece of ocean. It's only a 3 hour haul but can get real ugly on a bad day.
I have a feeling that there are only two anchor points.One each side of the bike at ground level. So do I use the triple tree or seat handles?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:33 am

I'd vote for the triple tree, But you'll have to secure it in some way for forward to back motion. Maybe even bring your own wheel chock for that, and additional vertical stability.
I park mine in one of these, which holds it vertical, but not on an unstable surface (of a boat ?). This plus the triple tree should work, and tie the front wheel into it. 4 tie downs would still be better. But if you have no other option. Use some really beefy straps in any event.
Parking in first gear would also offer some front to back motion restriction.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:32 am

You can see the side cover removal and replacement procedure here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10533

I always start at the bottom one closest to the front of the bike, then the bottom one closest to the rear of the bike, then the top one closest to the front of the bike, then pull the cover free of the seat.

purchelli

Postby purchelli » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:44 am

awesome, thanks for that :D

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 am

This may be too late, but I recall reading somewheres, (owners manual, this website maybe?) if you must tow your 1500 Goldwing, leave the transmission in neutral. The back and forth rocking motion as you stop and accelerate could damage the transmission because of the weight of the bike.
Of course I didn't see this until after I had towed my new to me '94SE about 450-500 miles after buying it. In gear of course. However, I did strap the front wheel to the wheel channel on the trailer. :D

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”