Progressive rear shocks?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Progressive rear shocks?

Postby baba67 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:41 am

I have a question about the progressive 416 series shocks for Goldwings.
I recently found and purchased a brand new set of rear shocks for my wing, at a really good price.
My question is;
I know the 1500 SE wing has the air pump but only uses the pump to inflate the air system in the right rear shock.
The left shock is not affected by the air ride system.
The shocks I purchased (416-1622A) runs air to both rear shocks.
More specific to the GL1200.
The overall lengths are 13.5 inches.
Has anyone used these shocks on their GL1500 SE?
And if so, did you have any install issues?
Thanks everyone.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Progressive rear shocks?

Postby Happytrails » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:12 am

I have read some about them. Just what others have posted. From what I gather they work good on a 1500 but you would add air to them separate from the bikes compressor.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:15 pm

The 416s come with an adapter to operate both shocks with the air compressor
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:21 am

dingdong wrote:The 416s come with an adapter to operate both shocks with the air compressor

I fitted them to my 93 Aspencade as dingdong said, also Progressives to the front. Cleaning the rear wheel I noticed play in the rear wheel bearing the day before I was about to head off to the Treffen. I was in a 'while I am at it mood' as I was no longer going to the treffen.

Serviced the shaft and final drive, swing arm, centre stand, brake pads near the limit so replaced them, and fitted a billet fork brace. Tyres had good tread but ageing, so a pair of Exedra's fitted. Went from touching the floor with my heels, to almost on tippy toes, and the difference in handling, bloody nora, I had to be careful not to scrape it along the deck, and raising it from the ground a bit meant I could bank it over further than ever after almost 20 years on 1500's, it certainly bought new riding experience to the 1500. Buying them from the US I was concerned about reading of air leaks in the 416 units , but thankfully I had none of it. I paid particular attention to the air line connections. I loved 'em. Big Blue had front and rear progressives fitted during trike conversion in California.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:30 am

Sorry you missed the treffen. Was there a noticeable difference in the ride? I'm thinking about rebuilding my forks this winter. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

baba67

Postby baba67 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:35 am

Thank you Everyone for your replies.
But my major concern is the part numbers.
The set I have is the 416-1622A progressives and the part number seems to be correct for the GL1200's
The GL1500 seem to call for a 416-1633GLA and I don't see any differences that I can notice. The spring rate is 125/180 which is correct for GW's
The 1622's came with all the fittings and hoses.
And had never been installed.
I emailed progressive for info, But so far no reply to fit.
Thank you all..

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:01 am

baba67 wrote:Thank you Everyone for your replies.
But my major concern is the part numbers.
The set I have is the 416-1622A progressives and the part number seems to be correct for the GL1200's
The GL1500 seem to call for a 416-1633GLA and I don't see any differences that I can notice. The spring rate is 125/180 which is correct for GW's
The 1622's came with all the fittings and hoses.
And had never been installed.
I emailed progressive for info, But so far no reply to fit.
Thank you all..

baba, I am certain that the only difference between the A and GLA part numbers are the fittings that come with the 416 units. 1622A have an extra air adapter kit that is not needed for the 1500, the 416 units are the same for 1100, 1200, and 1500. GLA can be purchased for the 1200 but it will not have the 1200 adapter, this can be purchased separately. So you are good to go, you should just have a 1200 adapter you do not need..
Last edited by Big Blue UK on Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:14 am

Happytrails wrote:Sorry you missed the treffen. Was there a noticeable difference in the ride? I'm thinking about rebuilding my forks this winter. :D

Hi Happy, Missing the Treffen was a few years ago, and no big deal because the UK Treffen is last on my list, but thanks anyway. I did so much to the Aspencade while it was stripped down for a week, because I had a shelf of goodies. I write a bucket list and order it, I have placed orders =to $2,500, so I had front and rear progressives just before I bought the 93 Aspencade. Soon after I bought it I had a Saddlemen Road Sofa on order for it also. I buy everything but tyres and oil from the USA, so I tend to add things not needed at the time. Every GoldWing I have owned since the end of 1981 have been US imports, yours truly buy a UK GoldWing, or anything for a GoldWing in the UK, that will be the day. I was after a US import Cambridge Blue Aspencade for more than a year, I spotted one and grabbed it. The ride was ok, but I did not tend to throw a GoldWing about like I used to, One thing was that I did not feel comfortable when I pushed it a bit on tight bends, perhaps because it was getting close to 20 years old, new to me, and I did not feel at one with it yet.

I read progressive front springs would stiffen up the front suspension, and thought I would give it a go, it did feel a little stiffer, but I liked the handling improvement. The Supabrace made a huge difference when it came to tight cornering, I would do a U turn making scraping sounds where others on 1800's were doing a 3 pointer.

If you are happy with how stiff the forks are and have never bottomed them, service them, and add a billet fork brace, I have done just this and noticed a difference. Just adding Hyperpro springs alone would not make the suspension worse, it is hard to say how it would feel for you, I am about 5'9" just over 16st and now retired.

I do not want to say 'it made a difference' and you may find the front end stiff that you may quickly get used to. If you rode 1500's for a few years that had Progressive front springs, and you rode one with stock springs one day, you may think, bleedin hell the front suspension is bouncy.

baba67

Postby baba67 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks once again.
I did find this spec sheet, and the only real issue seems to be about a 1/2 inch difference in length between the two.
I don't really suspect it will make any difference on a Goldwing.
The adjustability of the GoldWing suspension is greater than that.
I'll let you know how I make out when I do the install.
First snowfall here on CapeCod and the Wings are in the stable.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”