RMI 25 - Radiator treatment -what are your thoughts?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

RMI 25 - Radiator treatment -what are your thoughts?

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi guys,

Been looking at this product for a week or so - and trying to make a decision on if it would be beneficial for the cooling system for my GL1500. I recently had my radiators flushed out and the radiator shop suggested using this treatment instead of normal coolant?

What do you think?

Here are some links to the information I have researched

http://www.costeffective.com.au/Product ... -treatment

http://www.rmi25.com/faq

http://www.rmi25.com/tech-specs

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: RMI 25 - Radiator treatment -what are your thoughts?

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:06 pm

I'd be hesitant to put anything in my cooling system that 'continuously' cleans the internal components and materials. The photos that they showed in that video, were of components from cooling systems that had been severely abused. I'd say, primarily, that they were run with no coolant at all. Just water. That's exactly what your cooling system will look like if you run straight water, from a garden hose. And it doesn't take long. I know. I've never seen internal components in any of my vehicles look like that, when they were properly maintained. That simply means, using the right coolant, with distilled water, and changed on a regular basis, maybe every 2 years. On cars, I change it at 30K miles. On the bike, about every 10K miles. My impression is that they are selling snake oil....or, snake coolant additive. I wouldn't do it. If yours is now clean, and running properly, just maintain it from now on. And as I'm sure you've already read, no silicates in the coolant.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:49 pm

I was being informed that this can be used with distilled water and the additive, and either with or without your coolant added.

If some of the "snake oil" is valid - I think I would be tempted to use it in addition to coolant - or use this as a treatment prior to putting the coolant in. I'm just not sure about the claims made - and how it works.. If it cleans the cooling system by keeping some of the solids in suspension - it seems that you would need to flush them out instead of having them continually pumped around your system waiting to lodge somewhere.?

Thanks for your response -the jury is still out at the moment :)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:06 am

My 97 has only ever had antifreeze and water in it. Changed out every couple of years. Everything looks as it should, clean, clear as it has for the last 18 years. An additive to keep it this way after this long with no issues seems like selling ice to eskimoes .sorry they call themselves Inuit. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”