HID vs LED headlights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

HID vs LED headlights

Postby toanogreen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:12 am

Okay, I've been reading about the plug-n-play HID lights over the last couple of months. Impressive except for the issue with connecting delay wires so the light won't wear out as fast.
I'm lost with all of the wiring info that was given. Anyway, what's the difference/similarities of the LED bulbs I can just plug in like the regular bulb? I definitely want something brighter, but also sights that are going to last as long as the OEM bulbs. I'm presently using the 55/60 watt headlights.

Also, I would like to do the whole headlight/side light/running light combo. It looks funny with two different style lights as I see on some cars and bikes.
But I don't want to blind people either.

Thanks in advance for assistance/guidance.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: HID vs LED headlights

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:38 am

I work with a Harley owner who switched to an LED headlight. It has several CREE type LEDs grouped together which emit a lot of light for their size. But I'm not sure they will cast a light beam as far as the Halogen or HID bulb. The only advantage I can see is that you would have a consistant color from all the bulbs you plan to replace on the front of your Wing as the HID color temps may vary slightly from wattage and manufacturer. I have three different bulbs that I've tried (H4, H1, and the projector manufacturers proprietary bulb) they were all listed as 6000K temp but the projector lamp looks to me like it has a slight green tint. So far I have only had one bulb fail and it was over two years old when it went out. I've had standard bulbs that failed after one week!
I first purchased the H4 style which was plug-n-play. But initially didn't have high beams because of the type I bought. I used the Low/High headlight switch as on on/off switch. Still, I wanted the sharp cut off on the low beam from the HID projector set-up, so I later switched to the projectors and now have a seperate switch to control the on and off function and two other switches in the pod for other functions. I have pictures and a wiring diagram in my members photo gallery.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Postby TAZZ » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Toanogreen I'm with you on the wiring to the Oil light and the relay hope somebody has a better clear picture on this.
Fiberthree have a question for you I was looking at your gallery photo how did you attach the LED strip on Fairing Grille behind so that the LED lights face to the front.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:47 am

I think those led's are one a tape strip..so you just remove the plastic cover and stick them in place..lights out/up. I have installed a couple of strips on my `1500. red ones under the rear bags and green ones on the front of the fairing just below the mirrors on the curved edge of the fairing. I'll see how long they stay glued only a month or so, so far.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:25 pm

TAZZ wrote:
Fiberthree have a question for you I was looking at your gallery photo how did you attach the LED strip on Fairing Grille behind so that the LED lights face to the front.

That was actually an item I ordered several years ago. It came already attached to a new grille and was offered in either Yellow or Colored. Probably Red/Green/Yellow. Also steady or flashing. (Mine flash) They are divided into five groups of four and all five groups flash independly so you get weird patterns. Just something to catch the eye of motorist so they know you are there. I took the unit apart and painted the grille black to match my fairing. I now hold the board on with little vinyl caps. The material looks to be Kydex. I've seen it used in RC cars. It's easy to work with because it's flexable but sturdy.
Attachments
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

TAZZ

Postby TAZZ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:30 am

Fiberthree, does picture is what I wanted to see It helped a lot. Thank

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 am

TAZZ wrote:Fiberthree, does picture is what I wanted to see It helped a lot. Thank

Here is a link to something similar.
http://www.davescyclesupply.com/product ... em_id=1181
I can't recall where I purchased mine. It was about 14 years ago.
Mine does block off the air flow, but the openings just above the headlight are connected to the same ports and the manufacturer advised about that in the instruction sheet. These newer ones don't block the vent but they changed the style a bit. The item is also listed under the GL1800 on the web site but the photos are of the 1500.
Ed

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:10 pm

TAZZ wrote:Toanogreen I'm with you on the wiring to the Oil light and the relay hope somebody has a better clear picture on this.

I have plans on replacing my headlights with the HID kit from Cyclemax as well.
As far as the delay relay, I found this site and product.
There are some good illustrations on wiring there too.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Just under a month ago I put on these HID's from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF ... ingdocs-20
I picked up these bi-xenon 4300K lights in 35W trim. That and a set of the bulb shims from Cyclemax, and I was in running condition in under 2hrs. And for just under $70....I think it's a pretty good bargain.

Light output is well above the stock 45/45 bulbs, just a bit more of the light 'flare' but not blinding to oncoming traffic when you adjust the light down a bit.

Seller is very, very into customer support. They were asking for any questions I might have almost immediately after my initial order to my feedback when installed. They were available by phone as well as email, and quick response either way.

My only concern currently is the amount of interference on the stereo amp I installed along with it, but that didn't have any problems with the stock stereo installed prior. My amp definitely is more sensitive to input, and these put out a pretty high pitched whine that is picked up by the amps circuitry. Ferrite beads installed over the output wires of the ballast is supposed to take care of the whine....we'll find out Saturday.

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:23 pm

millerized wrote:Just under a month ago I put on these HID's from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF ... ingdocs-20
I picked up these bi-xenon 4300K lights in 35W trim. That and a set of the bulb shims from Cyclemax, and I was in running condition in under 2hrs. And for just under $70....I think it's a pretty good bargain

This looks promising. Is it straight plug-n-play?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:27 pm

toanogreen wrote:
millerized wrote:Just under a month ago I put on these HID's from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF ... ingdocs-20
I picked up these bi-xenon 4300K lights in 35W trim. That and a set of the bulb shims from Cyclemax, and I was in running condition in under 2hrs. And for just under $70....I think it's a pretty good bargain

This link is not working for me. Is it still a good link?

Just curious, are you talking about this set of HID lights? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R602SU2?keywords=bi-xenon%204300K%20lights%20for%20motorcycles&qid=1451600903&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4&tag=goldwingdocs-20

Or perhaps this one for twice the price? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF3PY4?keywords=bi-xenon%204300K%20lights%20for%20motorcycles&qid=1451600903&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4&tag=goldwingdocs-20
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Postby Bobsiler » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:38 pm

I just installed the HID'S from Cyclemax. I bought the kit with the 4300k because I didn't want to draw attention to them with the blue color of the 6000k. I also changed out the position lights to the LED's that Cyclemax sells. They put out 50 watts each of light while only drawing 8 watts. They have a little bit of a blue color but not much. I also changed my cornering lights to LED driving lights which are also 50 watts each. I'm putting out way more light while drawing less power than stock. I did adjust the beam down so that I don't blind anyone coming at me. I ran them for a couple of days adjusted all the way up and was flashed twice out maybe 50+ cars.
The units are all plug and play except the delay that I personally struggled with wiring in. I have it all working now running off the oil pressure switch. Here's a couple of pics of what they look like at night. One with a closeup of the color different between the headlight and position lights.
Attachments

millerized

Postby millerized » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:38 pm

This set. Look at the feedback on the first set.
Kensun is the brand/maker.

millerized

Postby millerized » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:55 pm

toanogreen wrote:

Outside of a separate power wire and 2 grounds (grounds went to the screws/bolts at the back of the fairing...you'll see them when you pull the headlight assembly out), everything else was plug and play. The connection between the bike and headlight is one of the 2 headlight connectors (I just taped over the 2nd plug). Everything else fit in the space behind the turn signals...with just the cables feeding into the space behind the headlight. A positive feeding the ballasts (small ga wire, probably 16-18ga wire and a 10A fuse IIRC) went straight to the aux fuse panel I put on the battery bracket. Power is fed constantly, but the headlight circuit is what activates the relay in the ballasts letting them know it's time to shine.

Personally, outside of my electrical noise with the Plye Hydra amplifier, I think they're a keeper and a hella of a bargain. The 'normal' 4300K color keeps me looking nearly legal and no one has flashed me yet. With my drive in in the dark, and my ride home in the early twilight, I think that's a fair compliment to how they look to other traffic.

My Concours has a single bi-xenon from the same maker, 5500K in color and a 55W ballast/bulb. (and a pair of Hella FF50's with 45W H7's mounted in them as running/driving lihts) I can see the light go hi/low on road signs at 1/4mi at noon even with the running lights on...they are that bright. I get flashed and flipped off regularly with it....the 55W bulb alone is more than enough to PO most of the folks out there. Difference is the headlight assembly....the Concours just doesn't like that type of bulb. The 'wing....definitely a fit for this application...to me. Your opinion may vary, but I like them.

Again, I'm stuck on HID's. I'd run them regardless of what traffic tells me they like/dislike. That these give me the best light I'll probably get out of the stock assembly, and less ire from the rest of the generally dumb public....I'll take it. (and their customer service has rocked so far... They will be helping me when I install a single in the little GS300 Suzuki I'll be rebuilding here shortly.)

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:46 am

DaveO430 Ogden, installed the 4300K HID headlights in my low beams for me.

He moved the ground wire for them to the oil pressure sensor. The +12 volt lead is wired hot thru a fuse to the battery accessory block I added.

turn the key on, no matter how long it is on, if the engine is NOT started, those headlight do NOT turn on, period.

I really like that.... will give me a lot more Smiles without having to replace the HID ballasts before their time.

I much prefer the White light of the 4300K over the useless and irritating Blue light from the 6000K HID lights.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

MitchW
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A

Postby MitchW » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 am

What is the configuration of the stock goldwing head light?
I know it's a 45/45w, but, is it a H7 or H4?
If I want to switch to a HID 4300, Do I need a shim or something?

Thanks

MitchW

Postby MitchW » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:41 am

Sorry, another thing.......... Do the HID's come in high and low beam or just one or the other?

millerized

Postby millerized » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:10 am

MitchW wrote:Sorry, another thing.......... Do the HID's come in high and low beam or just one or the other?

Not a true Hi/Low on both bulbs, but a method of reducing the amount of light being 'let out' of the bulb. When you hit the switch, an electro-magnet slides a 'sleeve' over the bulb to a point that masks part of the light output. It's just like sticking a tube over a lightbulb part way. The light doesn't change output, it's just masked by the tube and looks to the rest of the world like you turned the lights down a bit.

(it's a failing with my Concours headlight bucket...it just doesn't take the redirection of light well...but the wing...it's like it was made for it. Oh, you'll have to pull the metal light shield out of the wings headlight assembly with some installations. It's not long enough to let the Kensun bulb assemblies seat. Simple to remove, single JIS screw (cross tip) and out it comes. (it's that funky umbrella looking doodad you see when you look in from the front. The running lights next to the headlights have the same thing covering the fronts of them.)

MitchW wrote:What is the configuration of the stock goldwing head light?
I know it's a 45/45w, but, is it a H7 or H4?
If I want to switch to a HID 4300, Do I need a shim or something?

Thanks

H4 or 9003 'style'. They look very similar to a normal H4 bulb, but the base is different enough to need to support it in the receptacle. Looking like it was changed because of the headlight shield (umbrella thingy) needing a mounting point. You'll need the shims from cyclemax http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... ms/83/6959
Once you see the difference and the reason for them, you will go 'oh, that's why'. They're that simple.

MitchW

Postby MitchW » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

Has anyone used the HID's on EBay out of the UK. There a fair bit cheaper than the ones from cycle max.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
TAZZ wrote:

That was actually an item I ordered several years ago. It came already attached to a new grille and was offered in either Yellow or Colored. Probably Red/Green/Yellow. Also steady or flashing. (Mine flash) They are divided into five groups of four and all five groups flash independly so you get weird patterns. Just something to catch the eye of motorist so they know you are there. I took the unit apart and painted the grille black to match my fairing. I now hold the board on with little vinyl caps. The material looks to be Kydex. I've seen it used in RC cars. It's easy to work with because it's flexable but sturdy.

The amber lights look good underneath. :D I have the Socalmoto HID's from Cyclemax also. Its a nice kit but I dont like how HID light goes everywhere in the 1500's headlight reflector. I did end up installing some different HID bulbs with casper shields that I like. The bright light doesn't reflect off the bottom of the reflector and dazzle oncoming drivers. They are still amazingly bright and there are hot spots at the back of the reflector still. Fiberthree I really like what you did with the projectors and other lights. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Happytrails wrote:
The amber lights look good underneath...
... Fiberthree I really like what you did with the projectors and other lights. :D

Thank you. A co-worker with a Harley Davidson says when I pull up behind him it looks like a UFO just landed!
Ed

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Happytrails wrote:
The amber lights look good underneath...
... Fiberthree I really like what you did with the projectors and other lights. :D

Thank you. A co-worker with a Harley Davidson says when I pull up behind him it looks like a UFO just landed!

Jealously rearing its ugly head again. :D

And now that you've finished everything is there anything you would have done differently?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:58 pm

For what it's worth, I just replaced a pair of 6000k HIDs in a buddy's Suzuki Bandit with these 6000k LEDs. I'm a Flashoholic and have high end LED lights from Eagletac, Olight, Nitecore, and Jetbeam so I know the capability of modern Cree and Nichia LEDs but was skeptical about him deciding to go with LED headlights. No longer am I skeptical :o The high beam of those Opt7's are comparable to the HID but the low beam puts out a great deal more perceivable light. They wouldn't work in the 1500 because of the high/low dual headlight configuration but they really surprised me with the amount of light and distance they threw.

TAZZ

Postby TAZZ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Fiberthree you have PM

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Happytrails wrote:

...And now that you've finished everything is there anything you would have done differently?

Although the angel eyes look good I was wondering if they would have been a little brighter if I went with LED rings instead if the CCFLs. I'm also entertaining ideas of a few more LEDs in the lower fairing lights. The Harley guy said his loud pipes alert motorists that he is near. I said "I'm sure, but I think that there are possibly more deaf drivers than blind ones". He didn't reply.

Ed

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”