Just bit the 'change the entire stereo' bullet

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Just bit the 'change the entire stereo' bullet

Postby millerized » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:44 am

From previous threads, I went partial retard on the new speakers and added an amp. Both work as I'd imagined, but the limitations on the stock stereo put limitations on the aftermarket parts to an extent. (oh, and I just can't leave well enough alone)

Not needing a cassette player (owning exactly 2 cassettes...both came with the bike), not wanting a CD player (thousands of CD's, not wanting to carry them) and hating MP3/smart phones/players (have them, still hate them, might want to start using them if they'll interface well enough not to be a pain in the asssset)....pretty much puts me at an end to what I can do with the stock unit.

Not sure I'm going to need the failing LCD much more....not like it's going to give me much of a choice anyway. ( gathering darkness encroaching from the east ;) ) Change might not come at a better time.

So....seeing the DIY single DIN setup coming out of Belarus (and fellow wing owner Trayk-by) gives me hope for a newer system install when the snow starts flying here in a few weeks. (looks like 10 January for my side of the hill). Not sure yet what we'll be sticking in it yet, probably not a full flip video screen/GPS/SatNav/take-out menu jobby, but who really knows at this point. Without a bike payment, who really knows.

I'm not cutting anything off the bike that can't be replaced with either spares or just putting original stuff back into place. I don't believe in just whacking connectors and splicing in any more. I grew out of that last week. :mrgreen: I'm a full on snap on/off kinda guy now, and anything that has been cut already has a replacement in the bin waiting for the replacement.

So, thanks to those who make it possible, those who have gone before and made it look easy....long after the damage you've done has been repaired and the evidence to the fact hidden ;) I can't tell you how much I appreciate that! :D

FYI, http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLDWING- ... vf&vxp=mtr for the 'adapter'. $138 and change, and should be here before the spring thaw.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Just bit the 'change the entire stereo' bullet

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:10 pm

That looks interesting. I noticed on the demo Wing that the owner converted the fairing side pockets to speaker housings. I also like the "Just remove the old one and replace it with the new" type of install. I'm wondering if it just uses the original plugs or requires any retrofit/re-wiring of the original harness. It's also nice that it includes the form fitting cover. Looks like the hump above the head unit could be used for switches, voltage meters or other small controls.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:14 pm

Keep us posted on this install. I've enjoyed reading your other posts about the speakers and amp.

I think I remember reading somewhere about the LCD being tied into the radio, but can't remember what.
My previous bike was an Interstate, so didn't have the LCD anyway, so you may be good.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:43 pm

Fiberthree wrote:I'm wondering if it just uses the original plugs or requires any retrofit/re-wiring of the original harness.

Wondering if what uses the original plugs? The aftermarket stereo or speakers?
Fiberthree wrote: It's also nice that it includes the form fitting cover.

I saw the pics of that cover on the Ebay listing but I've never seen it mentioned in the threads about the adapter over at goldwingfacts and the Ebay listing doesn't mention it. Plus, it doesn't look like it's shaped correctly to clear the rear of the adapter. Maybe millerized can shed some light on it.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:23 pm

spiralout wrote:
Fiberthree wrote:I'm wondering if it just uses the original plugs or requires any retrofit/re-wiring of the original harness.

Wondering if what uses the original plugs? The aftermarket stereo or speakers?
Fiberthree wrote: It's also nice that it includes the form fitting cover.

I saw the pics of that cover on the Ebay listing but I've never seen it mentioned in the threads about the adapter over at goldwingfacts and the Ebay listing doesn't mention it. Plus, it doesn't look like it's shaped correctly to clear the rear of the adapter. Maybe millerized can shed some light on it.

Been watching it/seeing it on several of the other wing forums.
The cover covers the whole thing to include to radio face. Not sure if it'll cover a waterproof cover under it, but probably won't need to.

There is an adapter out there that plugs directly into the existing wiring harness, but why? Nothing on the bike is really needed in my instance. Power, maybe, but what else? Might get bored and try to wire something into the existing switches on the handlebars, but....again, why?

Of course, this is me right now. I may find a need for all the bike mounted stuff later, which is why I'm not cutting anything that can't be easily replaced if need arises. Heck, I might even wire those switches to the circuit board of the remote control, remote the IR led under the front cover of the radio so it can all be adjusted with the weatherproof cover in place. Again, this is now, then will be then.

Let you know what I come up with. After reading the reviews, it seems that you either love it or you hate it. Guess it pays to pay by paypal, wing member or not.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”