Axle lubrication

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Axle lubrication

Postby guitarzan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi,
Do we need to lubricate the axles at all and if we do, do we put lube on the whole axle and how much? Do we use that 77 paste? I'll be putting my back wheel on soon and I just cant find anything on axle lubrication at all in the books. I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500. Thank you all so much. Happy New Year everyone.

Frank

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Axle lubrication

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:01 pm

I would use some normal wheel bearing grease - it would be sufficient - as the idea is the axle is fixed and the wheel bearings either side do all the work.. If you want to put some moly paste on either it would not hurt. :)

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Replaced my rear tire a while back. As I understand it, yes you do use either Honda Moly 60, or the replacement Honda M-77 (moly) paste. I cleaned and regreased the splined fitting at the rear wheel. It showed no wear at all. I was in a hurry, and did not grease the axle splines as is recommended, but a very good idea. The axle splines are subjected to fore and aft movement as the suspension system moves. Thus the need for the grease/paste. The Moly is considered to be the correct lube to handle the torque pressures applied to that shaft assembly. It doesn't break down under extreme pressure. I bought the 60 at a local Honda dealership for like $6 right at the time it was being phased out for the more costly M-77. Wish I'd bought one or 2 more tubes at that price. Didn't know it was going the way of the Dodo. However, one tube is plenty for at least one lube job, probably more. Regular bearing grease is not recommended or suitable.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Just a light film of wheel bearing grease on axle shaft as an installation aid and for rust/seizing prevention.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 pm

I used the (brutally expensive - here, close to $30 for one little tube) Honda M77.

***A word of warning*** - the plastic tube that it comes in (think "toothpaste tube", here) doesn't hold much, so be careful not to waste it!

In the tube I got, the lubricant itself had apparently congealed into a hard block in the bottom of the tube, with the rest of the tube filled with solvent. When I tried to get some out, all the watery solvent squirted out, leaving me with little contents left in the tube. I was able to use a long, stout piece of wire to eventually, more or less, stir what little remained into a semblance of usable grease. There won't be enough left for another wheel removal/replacement, so I'll have to shell out another $30 next time :cry:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Don't waste the expensive Moly grease on the axle. The axle does not move relative to anything else, so it doesn't need to be lubricated. I put a very thin film of cheap automotive grease on it to prevent corrosion, and that's all.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:19 am

Mh434 wrote:I used the (brutally expensive - here, close to $30 for one little tube) Honda M77.

***A word of warning*** - the plastic tube that it comes in (think "toothpaste tube", here) doesn't hold much, so be careful not to waste it!

In the tube I got, the lubricant itself had apparently congealed into a hard block in the bottom of the tube, with the rest of the tube filled with solvent. When I tried to get some out, all the watery solvent squirted out, leaving me with little contents left in the tube. I was able to use a long, stout piece of wire to eventually, more or less, stir what little remained into a semblance of usable grease. There won't be enough left for another wheel removal/replacement, so I'll have to shell out another $30 next time :cry:

If you bought it at Action Motorcycle, I agree the price is unreal. The tube I bought cost $25.00 and is 75 grams. This equates to 2 ounces, and the cost is $12.00 per ounce. I have done some more looking and the Loctite moly paste that is rated at 65% moly is $49.00 for an 8 ounce can from NAPA in Sidney. This is approximately $6.00 per ounce. Has similar properties and there is more of it. Better value for my dollar. Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 am

Mh434 wrote:I used the (brutally expensive - here, close to $30 for one little tube) Honda M77.

If you bought it at Action Motorcycle, I agree the price is unreal. The tube I bought cost $25.00 and is 75 grams. This equates to 2 ounces, and the cost is $12.00 per ounce. I have done some more looking and the Loctite moly paste that is rated at 65% moly is $49.00 for an 8 ounce can from NAPA in Sidney. This is approximately $6.00 per ounce. Has similar properties and there is more of it. Checked the MSDS sheet and the exact amount is proprietary and not stated, but a range is given so that an assessment can be made for the application. Better value for my dollar. Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm

I would like thank all of you for taking the time to answer my question. I was looking around on the internet and found Guard Dog Moly Lubricants and wrote the company explaining about the Moly 77 paste. and he recommended the CD-525 paste. They have a product line for Motorcycles. Just a thought if you wanted to take a look see.

Frank

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”