Trike 88 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sunprowl@1
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Trike 88 1500

Postby sunprowl@1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Hello once again, need more input for my new G/W in November of last year I bought this bike off e-Bay ( still have no title yet)
I bought a DIY trike kit from Frank have yet to install it. But after checking it all out I am reading all horror stories about riding a Gold wing trike the only good thing is not "putting her to sleep" I read in news letter a very good review of things to watch out for
Wondering if any trike savy guys or gals would offer this old man some advice.
The kit is with 3 rear wheels one drive and two out board anyone used this type any advice on that?

Thanks every one

Curtis aka sunprowl

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trike 88 1500

Postby robb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Basically same kit as a Voyager but with 13" wheels unless upgraded to 15". If you can change your brakes you should be at a level to install this kit. Nothing on bike changes since this is a stabilizer kit. If you got the welder special it can be mocked up on bike, tacked in place, then remove to complete welding. Can be done by two in a day as long as you're good with a welder. Tig works best, but mig will do, remember it's your life on the line with a sloppy weld.

sunprowl@1

Postby sunprowl@1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Robb
my kit is all welded to the point of bolt together no cutting or welding only thing he has not gotten for me
is the spindles, but not going to install it until I get the title, seems that the dealer I got it from New York he is in
KS has been dragging his A$$ I bought in on e-Bay on November 2-15 paid in full on 11/5/2015 then they told me oh by the way we don't have a title, we will get it and send it.

How ever was really looking for some riding tips on a trike do and don'ts, Is a really great topic in the news letter
this month, in all my years of riding have never ridden a gold wing let alone a trike. Worked as a assistant service manager
at a Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, having never ridden a wing I never saw a trike there in 2/1-2 years at which time I went back to
Manager in another Auto Dealership.

So Just researching riding tips from wing people with wing experience? Can't ride without the extra wheels.

sunprowl

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:52 pm

With this kit you steer the bike as it no longer leans. Since it is bolted hard to bike the title is irrelevant in most states, it can't come loose like a trailer. Can go to parts center and get a set of spindles for a Chrysler Town & Country minivan, fit flat and have 4 bolt holes. My buddys kit had the 13" wheels and we went with 16" so spindles were replaced with more durable parts for around $100. A GL1500 with this kit has about 1-2 degree of flex with 16" wheels and 195/55-16 tires.

Don't worry so much for others experience unless the setup and bike are the same. The ride will return as many complaints as a seat, tires or even a helmet. I like lean but it was easy to adapt to. Jack lost his left leg at the knee and is completely satisfied since he is riding again. It is a better ride than our first attempt, a sidecar, and more stable in high winds. Best of luck as you proceed.

sunprowl@1

Postby sunprowl@1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:55 am

Howdy Robb: Guess I should made a better point of the Title. What I meant is the dealer sold the bike to me on e-Bay listed with a clear title when he actually did Not have a Title, gonna send it in a day or it will be here then I will forward it to you still nothing and is over 2 months. Just not to put any more money in till I get it in my name.

Am a little concerned about riding with the trike mounted. Corning, Steering, ect. ect. maybe I am just too safe anymore been on two wheels this march for 60 years.

Thanks

Curtis aka sunprowl

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”