Fairing side marker transformation


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
T_birdman
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Fairing side marker transformation

Postby T_birdman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm



Recently thanks to all the excellent posts here I took on a few LED conversions on my GL1500. When I first bought this bike it was pretty close to bare bones and still had all incandescent bulbs throughout it. In particular, the fairing sides were reflectors only, no lights so I bought the Cyclemax adapter to convert to side turn signals.

At the time, I had a pair of 194 LED bulbs but no socket to fit the hole in the single light lens, but I had a pair for an old car that I modified with an exacto knife to be a snug fit and it worked very well, alternating front and side as both a turn signal and marker because I left the front fairing bulb in place for the flasher unit to recognize.

Pleased with that for the moment, I moved on to the rear trunk and saddlebag markers which had nothing either and fabricated strip LED's into them and was very pleasantly surprised at how bright they were. But now the back of the bike overpowered the front, so I reopened the side markers and decided to strip light them as well.

I started by cutting the back off along the line of the housing with an exacto knife saw blade,

cleaned up the opening and measured the hole.


I needed a backing for the lights to adhere to and to cover the back afterwards so I used a piece of pressed board with a smooth side for the strips to stick to, cut it to size (a bit smaller than the opening but still enough to support the 2 strips.)




User avatar
T_birdman
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Re: Fairing side marker transformation

Postby T_birdman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:30 pm

I soldered the leads and tested them all along the way before peeling the backing off the strips and once satisfied I stuck them on the pressboard. I used my hot melt glue gun to seal up the electrical connections and help keep them on the board.




I fitted the board with the strip lights into the housing and again checked to make sure all was still working. Once I was satisfied, I press fit and clamped the board in place tight to the lens and began hot gluing it into the housing.




When the glue cooled and hardened, the lights were in place and quite weatherproof.

User avatar
T_birdman
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Re: Fairing side marker transformation

Postby T_birdman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:34 pm

The glue did a great job sealing the whole unit.


I wired it up to the fairing, a quick test and now the lights up front re a match to the bright rear lights! Very happy! Hope this helps someone else wanting to do the same, especially since the folks at this site have done so much for me and my bike! Stay vertical folks!

User avatar
T_birdman
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Re: Fairing side marker transformation

Postby T_birdman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Just for reference, here's a pic of the lights from the side.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrystalPistol, Google Adsense [Bot], mburmandds and 5 guests