Inaccurate fuel gauge?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
floyd lee corn jr
Motorcycle: 1993 honda gl 1500 interstate

Inaccurate fuel gauge?

Postby floyd lee corn jr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I have a1993 honda gl 1500 interstate. It has a little over 67,000 miles on the odometer and the problem i'm having is when the fuel gauge reads empty, it doen't even take 4 gallons to fill it back up. In fact, the gauge read right between the e mark and the red zone on my last fill. I had a little over 113 miles on the trip counter showing before resetting from the previous fill and it was filled full, and when i put gas in it the last time, i put exactly 3 gallons of fuel in it and the gauge read almost full, like on the line of the full mark. Why would it be indicating that it is full and i haven't put that much fuel in it and why is it not doing good on fuel mileage? Is it possible that the float could be the problem? What about the gauge? This is my first goldwing i have ever owned and i've only had the bike since December 12, 2015. The bike starts and runs good and other then this, it seems to run and ride good, except for needing the fork springs replaced. Any infornation would be of great appreciation.

Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: Inaccurate fuel gauge?

Postby gford » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 am

All 1500 goldwing read the same way. When I was replacing my low fuel thermistor I reached into the tank and bent the float arm down about an inch. The fuel gage now stays on full for a long time but when the needle reaches the red mark on the fuel gage my low fuel light will come on giving me accuracy on the lower level where I need it to be. Others have used rods through the fuel opening to adjust the arm.

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 am

Slightly bending the float are is what I have done to. 113 miles and 3 gallons is 37.6 miles per gallon. That's not bad.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 pm

I've found that my mileage varies greatly, depending on type of use, and how hard you use the throttle. Mine has ranged anywhere from 45 - 30 mpg. 2 up, with a lot of stop and go, idling, and multiple cold starts will get me in the 30-35 mpg range. 1 or 2 up, strictly highway driving, will get me 40-45 mpg, IF I keep the speed in the 60 mph range. 70 mph will definitely reduce your mileage. Between the fairing and the windshield, driving these things at high speed, is like driving a sailboat sideways, in a stiff head wind. Lots of resistance.
I've never had to adjust my gauge. It shows higher than 'Full' on fill up, takes many miles to drop below 'Full', and turns on the 'Low Fuel' light after reaching the 'Empty' area for a while. And when that light comes on, I'm right at 5 gallons to refill, leaving 1.3 gallons reserve. I think you'll find that adjusting that float sensor rod will put you right where you want to be.
I've read that adjusting the float rod with a half full tank (3.1 gallons) to read at exactly 1/2 tank, will put your gauge where you want it for full range readings. I've not done it, but that's what I've read. BTW, I've also read that you don't want to remove that float/fuel pump assembly with more than a half tank, as it is below fuel level when the tank is full. You may also want to get a replacement gasket in advance, if you go the route of removing the assembly for this job. The old gasket may not make the trip.

Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 pm

My gauge reads full when it's full and deep in the red at 165 miles. Only remember needing 4 gallons once when it hit the red mark and my light has never come on. Not a problem since I make it a habit to stop first place I see nearing the 150 mile mark. On long rides I have been known to carry 1 gallon of gas for emergency. Last trip to Florida went 254 miles before refueling, with a 1 gallon safety net wanted to see how far it would go. Took 5.95 gallons to top off and I thought I seen the low fuel light flash making the turn into the station.
Done a little testing after having to pump tank and think its the gauge in error since light come on once empty. Grabbed the wrong container and topped off with diesel fuel. Good thing I was not at station or it could have been bad.

Motorcycle: 1989 Vmax

Postby captainkyle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Mine reads the same way. I have the bike apart painting it so I plan on going in while I am working on it and draining the tank & putting 3 gallons back in & bending the arm where it reads half to make it semi accurate.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”