Krylon FUSION paint for plastic

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Krylon FUSION paint for plastic

Postby punch7 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:27 pm

To be brief, it did not work on my Igloo ice chest. Yes, I sanded the chest thoroughly and sprayed in above 50 degree temp. Let dry thoroughly in heated shop and you can scrape the paint off with your fingernail today. Real bummer.

captainkyle
Motorcycle: 1989 Vmax

Re: Krylon FUSION paint for plastic

Postby captainkyle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 pm

I painted all the crap brown speaker covers & radio surround dash & all on my 88 about 2 years ago & it still looks great to this day & it has sat out side a bit to.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Your results are exactly what I read about Fusion and the reason I used it. Unfortunately, your results and mine were diametrically opposite.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:42 pm

I suspect your cooler is blow molded - which means it's more likely polyethylene (HDPE or LDPE) - it could also be PVC or polypropylene. Regardless, it's not ABS, which is not normally used for blow molding.

All of the plastic on our bikes is ABS. It's quite possible that the Krylon paint adheres very well to ABS, and not to HDPE. I would try again making sure you are spraying ABS.

captainkyle
Motorcycle: 1989 Vmax

Postby captainkyle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Yes it could be the material to not being abs. If you try it again you might want to try some bulldog adhesive promoter. It might help you out.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 am

Before I purchased the Fusion paint I went online and checked quite a number of posts concerning the paint and method of application for different itms, including IGLOO ice chests. Krylon FUSION was hands down the most prefered paint to use. I'll leave it alone for a while to see if it cures properly later on in the week.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 pm

I used Krylon on my bike (that dark brown I could not match, damn it, but black underneath the darkest grown they have looks good) and the only place that peels paint is the left and right side pieces of smooth plastic under the handlebars.....Will have to think about that one for a solution.

PoolDude
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby PoolDude » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Good luck. Igloo exteriors are made of high-density polyethylene which is very hard to get paint to stick to. The only suggestions seem to be to lightly sand blast to create a better surface to bond to or find a plastic specific primer.

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:06 am

I was able to find the Bulldog Adhesive Promoter that Captainkyle suggested. After I sanded off all the Krylon paint again, I rinsed the cooler thoroughly with plain water a couple times and let dry overnight. The surface was sufficently scuffed by now and the next step was spraying the Bulldog Adhesive Promooter. Following the instructions on the can, I covered the cooler completely with the product. Similar to paint, it retains a sticky feel until dry, so I waited until the next day for spraying the Krylon top coat again. I was being cautious since my first efforts in spraying the cooler were unsatisfactory, so after spraying the Krylon, I let it sit in the sun while I went riding for half a day. When I returned, I was pleased to find the paint was completely dry and the finish resisted scraping off. I'm feel sure the the finish will become even more durable the longer it cures. I'll try to give updates as time goes by. And a tip of the hat to Captainkyle for his suggestion about this product.

Now, a word or two about the Bulldog Adhesive Promoter: (1) Be sure you spray this product outdoors! It is tough on the nostrils and I'm sure the lungs wouldn't appreciate it, either. Even outdoors, I used a respirator. There was a very slight breeze and I kept upwind as much as possible. (2) This stuff is expensive! I purchased it locally at an automotive supply store and one can cost as much as the new 50 qt cooler I was spraying. I thought long and hard about it but I was in for the long haul, so I plunked down the gold. However, I'd have paid more perhaps had I ordered it online.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 am

Just for the sake of curiosity - why were you painting a brand new cooler? My guess would be to match it to something. Am I correct?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

punch7

Postby punch7 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 am

You are correct, Viking. Fortunately the color is gloss black, not one of the Honda GL colors, so I'm able to do the job at home with a rattle can. I'm using the new cooler as an additional "light weight items" storage compartment on the tongue of my trailer and I wanted a paint finish that would hold up pretty well under road conditions. There may be times that a touch up shot of Krylon will be necessary but that's the same for most vehicles. The trailer is gloss black and the Krylon gloss black matches nicely. Later this year I hope to have the trailer repainted to match my 'Wing so I wanted to go through the cooler painting process ahead of time to make sure the new GL color trailer paint would adhere to the cooler, also. That'll be one less headache for the professional painter, too.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”