Integrating frs/gms/HAM into existing intercom

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Integrating frs/gms/HAM into existing intercom

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Google has been very little help so its time to ask here.
What is available on the market now to utilize frs/gmrs with the existing intercom system on the gl1500? I know there are adapters to input phones and gps and mp3s, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.
I'd like to be able to run the CB when with a couple riders that use it, and be able to use FRS when with some others that do not have CB. I'd most like want to use my Baofeng vr5+ because I can and to utilize 2m repeaters if I choose to. (Yes, I'm licensed.) All of this with the existing headset.
Any help or input from those with experience would be great. I did search here also but didnt find what I'm talking about.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Integrating frs/gms/HAM into existing intercom

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 pm

I don't think it would be all that hard to do, and now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it's something I should do as well. I have a couple UV-5R's kicking around.

To connect the UV-5R is fairly simple:

Baofeng UV-5R plug
Baofeng UV-5R plug

The main problem is that it is expecting an electret mic, and the Goldwing uses a dynamic mic.

You could set up a switch that triggered a couple 4PDT relays that switched the system between your CB and your FRS.

GL1500 CB circuit
GL1500 CB circuit

GL1500 CB Switches
GL1500 CB Switches

The speaker out on the FRS is a no-brainer, it just connects to the Headset AF Out (white/black) and Ground AF (pink) on the CB/radio interface, preferably through a 300 ohm isolation transformer.

The mic into the FRS can do the same. It would take the Mic Input (red/blue) and Mic Ground (black) signal, isolate it with a transformer, step it down with a resistor, add a capacitor to block any DC bias the FRS might supply for the electret mic, and feed that to the FRS.

For the transmit switch, I think I would have the existing transmit switch trigger a relay which in turn closes the PTT on the FRS. The PTT ground on the FRS shares the ground with the mic and speaker, so if you connected it directly, you'd bypass the isolation transformers and cause a ground loop on both.

There's no simple way of changing channels externally on the UV-5R. It's possible that you could open the thing up and solder wires to the channel up/down buttons, and then bring those outside the case to connect into the system. It's not all that hard to open them up, and if you screw it up, oh well, spend another $25 and get another one. :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:32 pm

There is also a vendor that sells an interface for this - but the box is $95, it does not utilize your existing push to talk switch, and you have to purchase three more harnesses that will have you spending upwards of $300 to get this whole thing connected. I think my solution is easier and cheaper. :)

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Supposedly, Kennedy Electronics (I think it was) will make up whatever you need to run whatever with just about any system, but I havent emailed due to expecting several hundred dollars for his interface.

Channels wouldnt be a problem cuz a freq can be decided on and used, no need to change freqs that way.

I do have a headset with a ptt for the Baofeng, I may look into just wiring it up to share speakers and mic at least. Can always run the ptt switch up next to the CB switch I guess.

I would prefer plug and play but that doesnt seem like an option.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”