Rear brake question: Access?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
johnfliesagain
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Anniversary Badge
Yamaha 79 XS750; 80 XS850
Picture of one of my Triples Yamaha xs750 '79 at Timonium Bike Show 2015

Rear brake question: Access?

Postby johnfliesagain » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:25 pm

O K so I have read a lot of posts ...and as a newbie here forgive me ( I am a moderator on other forums so I know...)

2000 1500SE

I want to bleed the rear brake. I have found the access point in the left side case. My hands may not be that flexible.

To remove the left side case do I have to remove the trunk first? I have read one of the one line manuals, but it shows a date of 1990?? ar something like that not 2000. so it may not apply and that is why I ask. No I haven't paid some 60.00 USD to get one of the on line ones for the year.

I am concerned that my hands just won't fit to break the bleeder loose.
I would think that I would have to run the tube under the case towards the floor rather than inside the case to get the tube and the wrench to fit.

I really don't want to spend three hours taking things apart to only find out that there is a better way. Or risk breaking plastic in an unheated near freezing garage.

Did they really think of doing the repairs when they designed these things?

John in Baltimroe

John in Baltimore
A proud owner of a 2000 1500SE
:D Did I mention it was a Free Gift from a co-worker?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Rear brake question: Access?

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 am

Read through this article on this board http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30304.
It will give you the procedure for rebuilding your brake caliper BUT it shows how to get access to the brake caliper by removing the necessary plastic.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:30 am

Its never hurts to ask. The guide would be the most help. My hands were too big to bleed thru that little access hole too. Removing the left saddlebag isn't too difficult once you do it a couple times :D

Nearly any job on a Goldwing requires removal of a lot of other things first. Its jus the nature of the beast. They are well engineered but there is just so much on them. If you plan on keeping the bike you might want to buy a service manual off ebay. They weren't that expensive when I bought mine a couple years ago and it was brand new in plastic. Even thought the guides out there are excellent you would still benefit from a service manual.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

johnfliesagain
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Anniversary Badge
Yamaha 79 XS750; 80 XS850
Picture of one of my Triples Yamaha xs750 '79 at Timonium Bike Show 2015

Postby johnfliesagain » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 am

MikeB and Happytrails:
"isn't too difficult once you do it a couple times" Oh my I hope to do the bleeding right the first time!!

Thanks. I looked at a lot of posts but I overlooked that one because I wasn't going to rebuild a caliper, and it didn't say rear!

Excelant post. The kind that young and old alike can benefit by reading it.

As I write this it is 17*F in my garage...might be a bit too cold to start pulling off decor panels and working with frozen tools. 'spossed to be in the 40's next week....and 3-5 and5-8 inches on Friday and Saturday. If I only had a heated garage!

Happytrails: Oh yes a manaul is a must, but this posting is a great substitute... I am willing to bet the photo post is better than the manual. I just got the bike on Friday, from a friend at work as a "gift" so I am very happy with that... and am waiting for a manual from e-bay . I see for the 2000 year they are about 60 USD. Although I might get it on line and being able to enlarge and print copies that I can smear grease on in the shop, to me paper is preferable I like to flip pages from here to there!

Again THANKS!

John in Baltimroe
John in Baltimore
A proud owner of a 2000 1500SE
:D Did I mention it was a Free Gift from a co-worker?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:17 am

Ive owned my goldwing 2 1/2 years about and had that left saddlebag off about a dozen times now. But I was also having problems with my rear brakes.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 am

You're right about temperatures - plastic can get very brittle in cold temperatures. I won't do work on my bike in the winter until I've turned on the heater in my garage and let everything warm up for an hour or two first.

As for bleeding the rear brake, it can be done through that little hole - but it can be fiddly. I have a Mity-Vac vacuum pump, which comes with several right-angle adapters:

I will put a wrench over the bleed nut, then push that right angle adapter over the end of the nut. I pump the Mity-Vac until it has built up a good vacuum, then I crack the bleed nut with the wrench. I keep pumping the Mity-Vac until I see clear fluid with no air, then I close the nut with the wrench. It's a pretty quick and painless operation, and can be done in a couple of minutes.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”