need help identifying rheostat, wiring and harness connetors

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Joe_
Motorcycle: GL1500 Aspencade 1991 Champion sidecar Daytona 2+2

need help identifying rheostat, wiring and harness connetors

Postby Joe_ » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 am

Needs some help.
I have a 1991 gl1500A with a CB and a lot of previous owner added wiring.
There is a lot of wiring that has been added and much of it has been abandoned or is partially or completely inoperative.
This added wiring is old, best practices were not always followed and some of it is starting to fail. I am trying to strip some of it out to preserve those things that are actually still functioning and to prevent being stranded on the side of the road with a dead bike.
There is an unmarked rheostat that has been added to the bike with a ton of wiring that terminates into two plugs which plug into the main harness next to the CB. Can anyone tell me what this rheostat does and what the two plugs in the harness are for.

Can it be removed or is it important? Some of the wiring to the rheostat is broken. Without any idea what it does or feeds it's going to be difficult to fix or know if it is fixed properly.
I'm using the factory intercom and stereo but I'm not sure if this broke while working on the bike this time or if it has been broken for a long time and is simply some system that was installed by a PO and then abandoned by the next owner.

Here are some pictures.
This is the Rheostat in question:

It comes through the ignition switch cover. The knob is long lost.

The two plugs that the bundle of wires from the Rheostat terminate at and connect to the factory harness:

Thanks in advance. If there is anything I can provide that will help you ID what this is please ask.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: need help identifying rheostat, wiring and harness connetors

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:05 am

That would be the fader for the speakers.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 am

Definitely a speaker fader, the dual-ganged pots give it away. You can get a replacement here:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... 129/240105

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Also,as I recall,if you don't want the rear speakers you may unplug the fader harness and attach the 2 loose ends of the radio harness together for front speakers only.
The fader harness is a add on to the OEM wiring.

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Thank you sooo much.
The rear speakers have never worked on this bike.

Our rear headset wiring/intercom is also the wiring to the sidecar so that the person in the sidecar can talk on the intercom or listen to the radio through the head set..
I seldom carry a passenger but would like to maintain the functionality of the rear seat passengers headset. Not to keen on the rear speakers though as I always have a helmet on and am mostly deaf.
Would doing away with it affect music played through the rear passenger head set?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Joe_ wrote:Thank you sooo much.
The rear speakers have never worked on this bike.

Our rear headset wiring/intercom is also the wiring to the sidecar so that the person in the sidecar can talk on the intercom or listen to the radio through the head set..
I seldom carry a passenger but would like to maintain the functionality of the rear seat passengers headset. Not to keen on the rear speakers though as I always have a helmet on and am mostly deaf.
Would doing away with it affect music played through the rear passenger head set?

No. It's completely separate functionality. The rear passenger headset will work just fine with the rear speakers disconnected.

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks. It is exactly what I needed to know.

Now to double check on how to properly remove it.
It looks like I just unplug the 3 plugs and remove the harness, then plug the two white plugs on the main harness together and leave the dark female plug hanging. The drawing shows white plugs mated up but then shows other white plugs for the 4 speaker option with fader unmated. Sort of confusing if you are new to Honda electrical diagrams. Help!

Is it OK to leave the rear harness attached to the speakers? Will this cause any problems such as overloading of the sound system or will the rear speakers just operate at full volume all the time as if the fader was turned turned to center? Do I need to remove that rear harness if the fader isn't installed also?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:24 am

Joe_ wrote:Thanks. It is exactly what I needed to know.

Now to double check on how to properly remove it.
It looks like I just unplug the 3 plugs and remove the harness, then plug the two white plugs on the main harness together and leave the dark female plug hanging. The drawing shows white plugs mated up but then shows other white plugs for the 4 speaker option with fader unmated. Sort of confusing if you are new to Honda electrical diagrams. Help!

Is it OK to leave the rear harness attached to the speakers? Will this cause any problems such as overloading of the sound system or will the rear speakers just operate at full volume all the time as if the fader was turned turned to center? Do I need to remove that rear harness if the fader isn't installed also?

It is fine to leave the rear harness connected. This is how it originally worked. The (passive) fader just acted as a volume control to cut down the signal going to either the front or rear. Without it, the speakers will all work as if the fader was turned to the center.

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 am

Good I will leave the rear harness connected. Thanks.
Question two:
Do the two white plugs that the Rheostat harness plugged into actually need to be connected to each other. I'm confused by the drawing which looks like they may be connected with another white plug set somewhere that is hidden from view with the harness tied in place. They are right next to each other and male and female but the leads are so short I don't see how they could actually ever been connected. Then again it is hard to tell with wiring this old. If I need to connect them it will take some doing. I hate pulling on old harnesses that hard unless absolutely necessary. I could just make a jumper out of the dead rheostat cable set as the rheostat is broken and beyond repair which would be the best option for the sake of the harness.

The other option is just to connect it up and see if everything works. ,Will I hurt anything if that circuit is accidentally left open during a test?.

I always ask first if I can with solid state devices. Don't want any of the smoke that they package into the components to get out if I can help it. It's so hard to get it back in once it escapes. I am not new to electronics, but new to Honda's and have no idea how much protection against abuse they put in their products.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:29 pm

You might want to have a look at this thread (with pictures): GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit installation of fader switch

And yes - those two white connectors that are part of the bike's wiring harness need to be plugged into one another if you are removing the fader. However, the rear speakers will not function this way.

Basically, the signal is sent from the radio to the front speakers through those white connectors. If you leave them disconnected, you'll have no sound at all.

The fader intercepts that signal, and based on the position of the fader, directs that signal either back to the front speakers, to the rear speakers, or somewhere in between. The black plug on the fader harness is where the signal is sent to the rear speakers.

You could replace it if you wanted so that you kept the rear speaker function - Cyclemax sells them for $27:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... 129/147895

Here's how it all wires up - it's a bit mind-bending, but it does work:

GL1500 Fader
GL1500 Fader

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm

You really do go the extra mile for people.
I'm going to pull it out for now since this is a daily driver / grocery getter right now and I don't have parts at the moment.

Thanks,

Joe_

Postby Joe_ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Got it.
Whichever PO installed the fader originally taped one of the white connectors leads in tight to the harness. He did such a good job it looked like it was that way from the factory. Took the CB out and was able to see the tape was an add on. Once removed the plugs easily mated. Thanks for the extra effort explaining it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”