Another "Has anyone ever" question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Another "Has anyone ever" question

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Hey all,
I had the shifter seal on my bike fail, leaking oil all over my drive when ever I parked ( fun stuff ) and one time, while this was happening, before I got it repaired, I was checking my oil level and found it t be 2 Qts low ! My oil pressure warning light never came on and that concerns me, being that low with no heads up.
So my question is, has anyone ever mounted a real oil pressure gauge, not just the "hey dumby" light we have from the factory ? I don't care if it is a wired (electronic) or capulary tube style gauge, I just want a real gauge. If anyone has done this, where did you hook in to the block at?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Another "Has anyone ever" question

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:22 pm

John, look at this thread from another forum.
I just bought one of the Firecreek housings and found the thread while doing research.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:16 pm

Have seen some install an oil pressure gauge. Makes sense if your working on that kind of project.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:13 pm

I have one the Firecreek blanks that I added. I have a volt meter and USB charging port for my GPS. I have thoughts of adding an outside temp gauge if I can find one small enough. However, an oil pressure gauge is a good thought. I will be interested in seeing what you can add. Please post pics.
Bill

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:06 pm

For me, this is just a "Is it possable" question. I would like to do it, but now that I have seen the firecreek bridge, it will wait until I can afford to add that to the cost, but now I do know it can be done
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:35 pm

bstig60 wrote:I have one the Firecreek blanks that I added. I have a volt meter and USB charging port for my GPS. I have thoughts of adding an outside temp gauge if I can find one small enough. However, an oil pressure gauge is a good thought. I will be interested in seeing what you can add. Please post pics.

It sounds like you have the same setup that I'm going to do. I looked around for one as well. I found this one on eBay. It's from China, but definitely small enough and cheap enough.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Here's the bridge blank I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331579884009?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT The bridge is a perfect replacement for the stock one. This guy was selling a bunch of them for a while. He kept jacking the price up until people stopped buying them.
I have a temp gauge similar to that one on another bike. I have been holding out for a 1 1/4" round one to match my volt gauge, but nothing has shown up yet. Everything seems to be 2".
Bill

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:38 pm

I currently have one of the small rectangular voltmeters, but want to go with this one (2" round).
It's on eBay for $18

Dakota Digital has the market on round air temp gauges, but they are mostly 2".
You can get the one with only the temp, but it's still $100, or you could get the one with temp and compass (I really like this one), but it will set you back $265.
They do carry a rectangular one that comes with a chrome bezel, but it's 2 3/4 x 1 5/8 and $100 as well.
I just can't see spending that kind of money on a gauge.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:29 pm

And another "Has anyone ever" question.

When I start it up for the first time in the morning, through the handlebars I can feel a little vibration that seems to be coming from the front of the engine.
After a minute or so its gone.
Only time it does it is on the first start in the morning. Is this a common thing with a '94 SE with 130,000 to 140,000 miles on it?
Has anyone else experienced this?
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:47 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-00-Goldwing- ... 1514473454
Not mine, but someone might like to own it.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:31 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:And another "Has anyone ever" question.

When I start it up for the first time in the morning, through the handlebars I can feel a little vibration that seems to be coming from the front of the engine.
After a minute or so its gone.
Only time it does it is on the first start in the morning. Is this a common thing with a '94 SE with 130,000 to 140,000 miles on it?
Has anyone else experienced this?

YES.
Nearing 190K on mine.
I've tried starting it in the morning on the center stand, seems there's less vibs. My guess it's oil on the cylinders left bank.
Also might be cylinder compression's are off a bit. Have not tested mine tho... just another guess.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.
I guess, If I have to, I can change. But I'm a man.

;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reply FM-USA. I can't say I've noticed any difference if it was parked on the side or center stand. But it's been a while since I've had it running now too.
After I get the fluids changed out, new brakes on it, new tires, etc etc. I'll have to see if it makes a difference.
(If I can remember after doing everything else.) :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:01 am

Uncle Fester wrote:Hey all,
I had the shifter seal on my bike fail, leaking oil all over my drive when ever I parked ( fun stuff ) and one time, while this was happening, before I got it repaired, I was checking my oil level and found it t be 2 Qts low ! My oil pressure warning light never came on and that concerns me, being that low with no heads up.
So my question is, has anyone ever mounted a real oil pressure gauge, not just the "hey dumby" light we have from the factory ? I don't care if it is a wired (electronic) or capulary tube style gauge, I just want a real gauge. If anyone has done this, where did you hook in to the block at?

I'm not an oil pressure guru, but my understanding of oil pressure is such. The measurement is of the pressure difference between the oil pump, and all the passageways that the oil has to pass through on its way back to the sump. As such, until the sump is low enough that the pump no longer has a reservoir of oil to pick up, I'm not sure a gauge would tell you anything more about the "quantity" of oil you have in the bike, than a "dummy" light. They will both read a catastrophic loss of oil, when there is no longer enough for the oil pump to draw from. Essentially, 0psi, or something much lower than adequate. The necessity to keep you oil sump properly filled is for the purpose of having more oil quantity to run the engine on. More quantity to collect combustion debris, and possibly more oil to offer better cooling of the oil supply.

I could tell you how I learned all this, and came to these conclusions, but it's a long, ugly story, and not needed. Anyway, the reason for my response is to possibly correct the notion that a pressure gauge will alert you to a possible low oil condition. It won't. It will tell you about the same as the dummy light when lit. You're tragically low on oil. A pressure gauge will alert you to possible engine problems regarding the condition of bearings, seals, crankshaft, and the pump itself. But, you'd probably hear or notice such things without the aid of a pressure gauge, anyway.

It's interesting that you were 2 quarts low, and the pump, apparently still was submerged in oil. I would have thought that would be a problem, since the whole thing only holds about 4 qts. I'm pretty sure that if your oil dummy light, lights when the ignition turns on, and extinguishes after starting, your pressure switch is working. As the switch is what turns off the light when it senses adequate oil pressure, after startup.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”