New Stereo Install

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

New Stereo Install

Postby darryldevaney » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Howdy folks!! I have been lurking here for a couple of years since I bought my 1996 Aspencade but haven't felt the need to post anything until now. I've been watching millerized's post on his speaker and stereo modifications, which got me inspired to get going with mine. Since I'm new to this forum, hopefully my pictures will come through, but the gist of my installation is as follows. After considering installing a standard 1-din sized marine stereo (and I really do like the kit that the guy from Belarus has on ebay, just too pricey for me), I decided instead to go with an Infinity PRV250 stereo head unit. This is a marine-rated stereo, and is only 6"x4"x2" or so. After removing the stock stereo I modified the factory radio cover by cutting an installation hole for the new unit, which sits very nicely when the cover is mounted over the big gaping hole where the old unit was. It is still a work in progress, meaning that I need to get the cover glued or otherwise attached to the shelter/console yet, but it is wired in to the stock speakers and works perfectly so far.
Attachments
The big, empty hole after removing the factory unit.
The big, empty hole after removing the factory unit.
The radio cover over the big hole.
The radio cover over the big hole.
The new unit looking pretty.
The new unit looking pretty.
The view of the space inside the hole through the cassette door notch. Still trying to figure out how to cover this part.
The view of the space inside the hole through the cassette door notch. Still trying to figure out how to cover this part.

"I just wanna ride..."

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: New Stereo Install

Postby robb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 am

Why not take cassette door from stock unit and glue in slot opening. Little paint to match and should look like it was made that way.

I do some plastic repair on HD inner fairings and find Rubbermaid office waste baskets to be perfect match . Texture on one side and smooth on the other. Smooth matches HD and texture is amazingly close to Wing. Easily molded with heat gun for that perfect fit.

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:14 am

Robb, thanks for the idea about the trash cans. I have been going back and forth about gluing things together or finding a different method of attaching the radio cover to the shelter housing so I can revert it back if needed, but I decided last night just to go ahead and glue it up. Just need to find the right glue or bonding agent. If I ever need to go back it looks like there are lots of ebay options to get used plastics for the 1500's. I had also thought about using the cassette door as you suggested, just hadn't decided if I wanted to try to sell the radio or not yet. I can't imagine anyone in this day and age wanting the cassette over having Bluetooth, USB, and an aux input port, but you never know. Chow.....
"I just wanna ride..."

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:19 am

Cut plastic to fit and use Elmer's glue to set. It can be removed with little effort if desired.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:23 am

Very nice, neat looking installation.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:30 pm

darryldevaney wrote:"The view of the space inside the hole through the cassette door notch. Still trying to figure out how to cover this part."

Make a little slide out tray, photos, munchies, gum, mints, USB card[s], her hair ties, etc..
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Dang, I wish I would have thought of that secret compartment before I glued in the door off the cassette deck. Oh well.
"I just wanna ride..."

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:18 pm

darryldevaney wrote:Dang, I wish I would have thought of that secret compartment before I glued in the door off the cassette deck. Oh well.

Stick a firecracker behind it... it'll open. :twisted:
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

darryldevaney

New Stereo Install

Postby darryldevaney » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm

I finally sorta finished my stereo upgrade that I started showing in a misleading thread title (found here).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31590

I am not totally happy with the quality of my glue job, so at some point when I get sick of looking at it I'll probably sand it down and try to repaint the plastics. Otherwise, though, the stereo works great. I ran a USB cable into the passenger storage compartment in the RH armrest so I can easily plug in a thumb drive with my music files. I might relocate it eventually to the trunk, but I already had a hole in the bottom of the armrest, so I just went with that for now. As you can see below, I also added a fixed mount for my Garmin GPS, which is currently wired into the AUX input of the stereo. And there is also Bluetooth capability from my phone (as well as AM/FM radio). One thing I really like about this unit over a 1-DIN car-type radio is that the buttons are large enough to work with a pair of gloves on.

My next project to take this up a notch might be to fit in a set of 6x9 inch speakers where the dash storage holes are at. We'll see when that happens.....
Attachments
"I just wanna ride..."

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:44 am

What, if anything, do you miss with/from the integration of the original stereo? From my 4x6 speaker thread, I'm contemplating.
With Bluetooth headset intercoms and Bluetooth connection with everything else...well...I really thinking the stock stereo can be removed and worked around nicely, other than the LCD displayed items.
Thoughts?

(almost 'decided' for myself last night...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV6 ... ingdocs-20 Everything I'm looking for, although the Infinity you show is very high on the list as well. Clarion rates high on my list as well. Good thing it's winter...I'd be riding and ignoring this thread stuff... )

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 am

Not sure I understand your question about what I miss from the integration of the original stereo. I don't miss the cassette deck!! Haven't listened to a cassette in years, and if I had chosen to use it, it would be a pain to have to change tapes while travelling. I tried using a cassette-to-1/8th inch adapter but the sound was terrible. Otherwise, from the installation standpoint, right now I don't have the rear speakers wired since one of them is blown. The only other thing I haven't had a chance to check out yet is the reverse motor. The original radio wiring shows interface for reverse going into the factory radio, so I'm not sure if you lose that or not. I hope to get some riding in on Saturday and I'll know then if I disabled that function or not. The dash clock still works, but, obviously, the radio station doesn't display, but the new stereo display takes care of that. I installed disconnect connectors for the power and speaker circuits so I can revert things back or add new stuff pretty easily.

Over the years of taking at least one long trip a year I've found that I prefer to listen to my music through the speakers rather than with ear buds or through my Bluetooth intercom speakers in the helmet, so I wanted to create a way to have my preferred music library available in some kind of digital format for travelling. Now I have 3 different ways to get it (Bluetooth from my phone, USB thumb drive, or SD card in my GPS).

Before I decided to go with the Infinity, I was looking at a Boss and a JBL radio that are similar to that Planet Audio unit you are looking at. I just wasn't sure about the depth since it is longer than the Infinity (that was the only reason I spent the extra $100, fyi). There is a video on YouTube of a guy who put in one that is similar so it should theoretically work (go to about the 5 minute point to see it).

"I just wanna ride..."

millerized

Postby millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I think I'm going to need to change my native American name from 'Runs with Sissors' to 'Runs with ....Squirrel!' ... :lol:

Just looked at the Clarion CMS2.
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-p ... rine/CMS2/
This fits the bill nearly exactly with what I'm looking for.
Just a shade over 3x5" with a low 'height' (being a surface mount as well as gimbal (RAM) mounting)
It'll 'just' fit onto my gauge panel that I hadn't decided which gauges to put in yet ;)

Waterproof/Marine stereo for liquid issues.
Remote mounted brain box, that can be stuck right next to the amp in the saddlebag
Sirius satellite interface, since I already run Sirius on the bike,
USB in as file 'sharing' or use as a charging output for your device.
Bluetooth (Apple or Android)
RCA aux input
True 4 channel output (front/Rear) and even a set of RCA subwoofer outs

All that and I can keep the existing radio, CB, intercom. Front/rear fader, tuning controls will be dead, but....

So far, so good. Bit more research, but I think I'm nearly there. Bit pricier than I'd hoped for, but....it just might be the perfect solution.

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Just a short follow up: I drove to work today since the forecast called for sunny and 50 this afternoon (mid-20's this morning, however). Love the new setup for sure. It's nice to have the display showing songs and artists (yeah, not what I should be looking at while driving, but sometimes I forget who I have on my playlist). Also, for anyone who caught my note about the reverse system, I'm happy to say that reverse still works. Makes me curious about what the wiring is that goes into the factory radio, but that's for another research project.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled whatever.....
"I just wanna ride..."

millerized

Postby millerized » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:57 pm

darryldevaney wrote:Also, for anyone who caught my note about the reverse system, I'm happy to say that reverse still works. Makes me curious about what the wiring is that goes into the factory radio, but that's for another research project.

Always good to know. Figured something like "if in reverse, songs would be heard in reverse" and we'd get the whole 80's Tipper Gore thing going on again.
(Google Tipper Gore and/or PMRC for more 'enlightenment')

Maybe it doesn't affect volume in reverse like it does in forward? Instead of blue illumination, you get red?

pbourgoin
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Postby pbourgoin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 am

darryldevaney wrote:Just a short follow up: I drove to work today since the forecast called for sunny and 50 this afternoon (mid-20's this morning, however). Love the new setup for sure. It's nice to have the display showing songs and artists (yeah, not what I should be looking at while driving, but sometimes I forget who I have on my playlist). Also, for anyone who caught my note about the reverse system, I'm happy to say that reverse still works. Makes me curious about what the wiring is that goes into the factory radio, but that's for another research project.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled whatever.....

On my 93 SE if you are playing the radio it turns the volume off when using reverse..
I got this Goldwing for my wife........ Good trade huh??? :D

millerized

Postby millerized » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 am

pbourgoin wrote:On my 93 SE if you are playing the radio it turns the volume off when using reverse..

That would explain the wire then.
Cool. Don't remember it doing that, but then again I don't remember my password most days.

darryldevaney

Postby darryldevaney » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:44 am

On my 93 SE if you are playing the radio it turns the volume off when using reverse..

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=31590#ixzz3zOmpAHGw

Thanks for clearing things up!! I was kinda trying to come up with some more twilight zone applications for why it was there, along the lines of "when in reverse, the radio broadcasts location signals in a doppelganger universe", but your explanation makes much more sense in this universe at least :mrgreen:

"I just wanna ride..."

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”