Various HID systems Q's.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Various HID systems Q's.

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 am

I have been looking at the HID systems..plug and play and the kind you have to hook directly to the battery. Big difference in price so my questions...

On the plug and play seems like everyone says to add a delay so the lights don't get turned off and on twice on every start up..so what's the best way to do that..cost, time involved getting to the point of connection for the delay device. Best plug and play price wise?? I have seen prices from 150 to 300.

For the direct battery hook up systems a lot cheaper only $20..and putting a switch and maybe a relay in line hot line to bulbs seems easy and avoid the multiple turn ons during start-ups. So down sides to this cheaper alternative?? High/low beam switch..don't see how that works..from ads..does one need a separate switch and then the stock handlebar switch is N/A????

note I DID WATCH THE PLUG AND PLAY INSTALL VIDEO..BUT IT DOESN'T TALK ABOUT THE DELAY.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Various HID systems Q's.

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:52 am

RBGERSON wrote:I have been looking at the HID systems..plug and play and the kind you have to hook directly to the battery. Big difference in price so my questions...

Wiring the 12v through a relay is still the best way to provide the power to the ballast for the HIDs. (IMO) There are several ways to do this. My relay is wired through a separate switch on the handlebars and I am able to turn them on or off independant of the factory design.

RBGERSON wrote: Best plug and play price wise?? I have seen prices from 150 to 300.

The price difference could be the hi/lo vs single beam.

RBGERSON wrote:For the direct battery hook up systems a lot cheaper only $20..and putting a switch and maybe a relay in line hot line to bulbs seems easy and avoid the multiple turn ons during start-ups. So down sides to this cheaper alternative??

The only down side I can think of is figuring where to conveniently put the switch and relay,

RBGERSON wrote:High/low beam switch..don't see how that works..from ads..does one need a separate switch and then the stock handlebar switch is N/A????

The units I bought have a high/low function that I still control through the factory headlight switch. It is a device that connects the stock headlight plug to a socket on the ballast and allows me to use the factory hi/lo switch.

RBGERSON wrote:note I DID WATCH THE PLUG AND PLAY INSTALL VIDEO..BUT IT DOESN'T TALK ABOUT THE DELAY.

They mostly don't address the delay because not all vehicles turn the headlight off when you start the engine. As far as keeping the function of the headlights automatic there are a couple of ways to wire the HIDs. One uses the oil pressure switch.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Various HID systems Q's.

Postby Happytrails » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 am

Dont think I'd like an HID setup that didn't work off the original hi/lo switch. If you dont know much about HID's or know somebody who does it might just be easier to buy a kit. Thats what I ended up doing. But they are much simpler than they seem at first. Only tricky part was the ballast. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”