Well, crap (snapped bolt)

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Well, crap (snapped bolt)

Postby millerized » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Pulling off the timing chain cover, 4" long 3/8" ratchet. Little to no torque (as much as you're going to get on a 4" long ratchet, anyway) in the process....pop. :o

This is gonna be fun :roll: Luckily it's not load bearing, but crap. Soak, heat, drill, beat in a screw extractor, swear...since it's most likely flush with the casting I'm going to have limited options for removing it.

Crap. :evil:
There's a reason "I" use anti-seize on everything...crap.

(these are both supposed to be the same length...or at least were before I started removing them)

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Well, crap (snapped bolt)

Postby dingdong » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:35 am

Well crap! That's all I have to say. :roll: ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

millerized

Postby millerized » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Luckily the bolt has a visible 'exit' on the back. Figured lets drill it for an ez-out.
So I drilled through it for an ex-out. :D
Too big of a hole for my smallest one, too small for the next size up. :roll:
Snapped the drill bit going 'big enough'. :evil:
Punched out the drill bit. It was deep enough now for the next size ex-out. :D
Snapped the ez-out. :evil:
Punched the ez-out out out the back of the hole, taking most of the bolt AND the case threads with it. :lol: :roll:
Fine....Drilled it for .250. I'll either put the next size up bolt in there and tap the hole for it or put in the same size bolt with a nut on the other end. Not critical enough for a helicoil.
Damn thing :evil:
(right under the tensioner)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

Sorry, for laughing at your challenges, but I've just been through the same thing so many times, I know the fury and foul language that accompanies this whole procedure. When everything can go wrong....

I ended up doing the exact same thing on the right rear crash bar of my GL1500. The previous owner had crossthreaded the top bolt in the frame so badly, that once I did get it right, it just ripped the threads right out of the frame. I ended up with a larger bolt (had to drill out the hole in the crash bar to fit), then put a lock washer and a nut on the back side. Works great, and no more worries about stripping out frame threads!

millerized

Postby millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:29 am

WingAdmin wrote:Sorry, for laughing at your challenges, but I've just been through the same thing so many times, I know the fury and foul language that accompanies this whole procedure. When everything can go wrong....

I ended up doing the exact same thing on the right rear crash bar of my GL1500. The previous owner had crossthreaded the top bolt in the frame so badly, that once I did get it right, it just ripped the threads right out of the frame. I ended up with a larger bolt (had to drill out the hole in the crash bar to fit), then put a lock washer and a nut on the back side. Works great, and no more worries about stripping out frame threads!

Wait until you see what the PO did with the one seat bolt. :shock: :roll: :cry:
It might be easier to cut off the 'bracket' and weld on a new one. :lol:
Sigh....I can't wait until the next owner get this thing. :twisted:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”