What are your thoughts

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

What are your thoughts

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:21 pm

This is a idea I am thinking about for in the future, but want thoughts and suggestion as to is it feasable.
I want to build a single rail trailer, that would be basically a "cross", consisting of a torsion axle and the rail for the bike, that would allow me to tow a small (KLR650 or XL650) dual sport bike behind my GL1500.
Would this work or would it be too much trailer/weight behind my bike ?
I have always wanted to dual sport Moab and the like, so that is where I came up with the idea. If this dont work, I guess it will go behind my van instead. . . . .

The trailer would be simular in design to this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ace-Folding-Mot ... 1205751744

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: What are your thoughts

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:This is a idea I am thinking about for in the future, but want thoughts and suggestion as to is it feasable.
I want to build a single rail trailer, that would be basically a "cross", consisting of a torsion axle and the rail for the bike, that would allow me to tow a small (KLR650 or XL650) dual sport bike behind my GL1500.
Would this work or would it be too much trailer/weight behind my bike ?
I have always wanted to dual sport Moab and the like, so that is where I came up with the idea. If this dont work, I guess it will go behind my van instead. . . . .

The trailer would be simular in design to this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ace-Folding-Mot ... 1205751744

That's a LOT of weight. My camping trailer is 325 lbs, maybe 425 lbs fully loaded, and that's about as much as I'd want to really pull behind my GL1500.

That trailer alone is 300 lb, and an XL650 is another 420 lbs on top of that, dry weight. That's over 700 lbs...far more than I'd ever want to pull with a GL1500. Especially without additional trailer brakes.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 pm

ahhh... but the thought of towing a harley to Sturgis on a Goldwing has some appeal... LOL

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 pm

I think you will find it to be too unstable as even the torsion axles need some reasonable strength to work against. It would probably bounce uncontrollably and probably break any welding you could produce. You'd have to have at least a small frame for stability.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:03 pm

It may pull it but I wouldn't want to be on it in a real hard breaking .

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:37 am

Figure the KLR is about 430# wet, trailer will give you another 2-250# at a minimum. Can it be done? Take a peek at this thread, tell me it can't.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26244
I'd make the thing as wide wheelbase as possible though, since you center of gravity will be extremely tall. Sharp corners with a tall load could be uncomfortable to your wallet.

Braking...it's nothing but a thing IF you use electric brakes and have them adjusted right. The trailer I just built last year, you only really know it's back there during slow speed maneuvers and off the line. Braking, you pretty much don't even know it's there. Now I've only got about 500mi on it before I parked it for the season, but I don't see any major issues braking that kind of load...IF YOU REMEMBER to start braking earlier. The electric brakes make it easier to stop, lessen the distance required to stop, but they don't make up for the lead time required TO stop in a hurry. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30795 for my last trailer build.

Now, that said...just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I've found that out way too many times in my life. Do I still try? Damn skippy I do. It's how you learn ;) I was toying with the idea of building a trailer to tow the little GS300 Suzuki behind the wing. Decided against it. Only because I realized that I didn't NEED to pull a bike with a bike.

Think it through, test it locally before you get silly (speaking from experience

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for all the input, both possative and negative. Definitely something to think on
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Postby punch7 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:22 pm

urbanmadness wrote:ahhh... but the thought of towing a harley to Sturgis on a Goldwing has some appeal... LOL

LOL!

My wife and I first went to Sturgis in 1991 on our '86 Aspencade and the Harley shop back then was right downown. I parked in the middle of the street in front of that massive building that was painted orange and black and took pictures of my wife sitting on the back seat of the 'Wing. She was going to take my picture on the bike but by then we'd gathered a crowd of grouchy sounding Harley riders. We waved as we rode off and they gifted us with their customary Gold Wing salute. I can't imagine what would have happened had we towed any Harley behind a 'Wing.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”