Mechanics...put stuff back where you found it!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Mechanics...put stuff back where you found it!

Postby millerized » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Not sure if it was the PO, or the shop, or some shadytree kinda guy....but please...put stuff back where you found it, please?!!

To the left of the JIS (cross tip) screw in the center of the picture.
This is 2 hoses so far that haven't been connected where they were supposed to be.This one comes off the back of the carb, the hard pipe directly above it. There's another BIG hose under there that's not connected either...and the reason I'm taking the carbs off. Finding more and more items the deeper I dig.

At least I'll have a: a hands on working knowledge of where stuff is supposed to go and b: a known put back together correctly bike.
I'd go c: a healthy disrespect for shops...but I lost respect for shops over 30yrs ago and have done all my own maintenance since.

millerized

Re: Mechanics...put stuff back where you found it!

Postby millerized » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:53 pm

#3 now.
WTH? Hose too short, so you just add a few inches? Would that explain the extra large diameter ring clamp laying on the top of the moto?
:roll:

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Also put the right screws back in the right place. Not just whatever will fit.
So far, I've bought an even dozen screws to replace the wrong or missing screws.

Probably should have got more than that, still have things to do on it.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

pbourgoin
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Postby pbourgoin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Ditto to all of the above.. In 1979 I took my Yamaha to the shop for a new tire got 5 miles down the road and the chain flew off smacked the back of my leg locked down the rear wheel and slid to a stop.. How could anyone forget to tighten the axle nut after adjusting the chain?? Since then the ONLY thing a shop does for me is mount my tires on the rims and balance them and if the shop refuses to let me in the back to watch I go to another shop that will...
I got this Goldwing for my wife........ Good trade huh??? :D

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Years ago I would only let a dealership that sold my brand of bike, work on it. My thinking was they work on them every day, they know how to do the things I didn't want to tackle.
Then they didn't want to work on my bike because it was more than 10 years old. They wouldn't mount tires unless I bought them from them. But their prices were not competitive.
Its websites like Goldwingdocs that make it possible for some of us to keep and maintain our bikes.

Thanks to all of you. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

millerized

Postby millerized » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:36 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Also put the right screws back in the right place. Not just whatever will fit.
So far, I've bought an even dozen screws to replace the wrong or missing screws.

Always loved getting screws and bolts back stripped....'they were like that' :roll:

At least most of the hoses were drains. Most, not all.

What turned me off dealers completely was the 'wall service' aka "first recommended service"...usually around 5-700mi. The last time I went to a dealer other than to buy a bike was in 1984. My brand new XZ550RJ Yamaha Vision, bought in Newport News, VA. I was in the Army aircraft maintenance school at the time, and was using stuff I learned on aircraft on the bike...safety wiring bolts, torque-seal marking bolts.

Well, the oil drain plug got marked with a little yellow torque-seal. Torque-seal is like a cake icing in a tube, but it hardens and sticks like cement. Until you try moving the bolt, that is. When you move the bolt, it snaps and falls off usually...but you know something happened to the bolt. The little streak of yellow torque-seal was still there on the oil drain plug. Oh, I screamed, threatened and yelled, but they told me they used 'that stuff'. I asked for one guy in the shop to show me their tube...one out of 10 mechanics....anyone? None.

They charged me $100 for a wall service, nothing on the bike was touched. None of the safety wire was cut, none of the screws or bolts were broken loose. I told my commander about a local business who was ripping off soldiers, who promptly told me that I should know better than to trust someone else to work on something I trusted my life on. That was a teaching moment for me, and I thanked him for it.

That was the last time I'd ever used a dealer for anything other than ordering parts. With catalog sales and eventually the internet...dealers get my money for the bike and nothing else. Last 'new' sale was 2005...I think I've weaned myself off of dealer support by now.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 am

Thankfully most mech's will put stuff in the same configuration.
Sometimes there's no choice, it has to go where it's supposed to.
Since length tolerances are near exacting these days.
Sometimes there seems to be no extra room for even one inch of anything... it's that tight under the hood.

BUT this is my sentiment on this hose...

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”